Indonesia to throw open doors to Chinese investment

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Maritime road and axis

Mr Widodo, who is called Jokowi at home, declined to be drawn into saying whether Mr Xi's Maritime Silk Road idea would compete with or complement his plans because "there is no detailed information".

His foreign policy adviser, Rizal Sukma, told the SCMP that, from what Indonesia knew, Mr Xi's idea was for economic and diplomatic ties, adding: "it should not be about hegemony. As long as they follow that framework, we would be more than happy to work together."

The SCMP has learned that behind the scenes, officials on both sides have begun discussing how Mr Widodo's doctrine could complement the Maritime Silk Road vision, with the building of ports and toll roads as concrete forms of engagement.

Such an approach would dovetail with the project proposals Mr Widodo has said he will present to Mr Xi during their talks.
He said he had opened a one-stop national office to slash red tape and introduced new regulations to simplify land acquisition.

On the Maritime Silk Road issue, which he said he expected to discuss with Mr Xi, Mr Widodo said: "Until now, I don't know the details of the Silk Road agenda. But if the cooperation can give benefit to my people and can give benefit to our national interest and also to China, OK."

The Silk Road idea was first mooted by Mr Xi in 2013 when he toured Southeast Asia, and is widely viewed as a response to the "Asia pivot" policy of the United States, as it calls for closer maritime and economic links.

Read the rest here:
Indonesia to throw open doors to Chinese investment Bangkok Post news

I had no idea China came in at 13th for investments here.

Forum List

Back