India Says Its Mars Spacecraft on Course

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
India's Mars orbiter mission ventured out of Earth's sphere of influence early Sunday in an attempt to reach the red planet's orbit after a critical maneuver.

The Bangalore-based Indian Space Research Organization said the spacecraft fired its main engine for more than 20 minutes, giving it the correct velocity to leave the earth's orbit.

"The Earth orbiting phase of the spacecraft ended. The spacecraft is now on a course to encounter Mars after a journey of about 10 months around the sun," the statement said.

It said that all systems onboard the spacecraft are performing normally.

India launched its first spacecraft bound for Mars on Nov.5, a complex mission that it hopes will demonstrate and advance technologies for space travel.

The 1,350-kilogram (3,000-pound) orbiter Mangalyaan, which means "Mars craft" in Hindi, must travel 780 million kilometers (485 million miles) over 300 days to reach an orbit around Mars next September.

If the mission is successful, India will become only the fourth space program to visit the red planet after the Soviet Union, the United States and Europe.

Some have questioned the $72 million price tag for a country of 1.2 billion people still dealing with widespread hunger and poverty. But the government defended the Mars mission, and its $1 billion space program in general, by noting its importance in providing high-tech jobs for scientists and engineers and practical applications in solving problems on Earth.

Decades of space research have allowed India to develop satellite, communications and remote sensing technologies that are helping to solve everyday problems at home, from forecasting where fish can be caught by fishermen to predicting storms and floods.

The orbiter will gather images and data that will help in determining how Martian weather systems work and what happened to the large quantities of water that are believed to have once existed on Mars.

It also will search Mars for methane, a key chemical in life processes that could also come from geological processes. Experts say the data will improve understanding about how planets form, what conditions might make life possible and where else in the universe it might exist.

The orbiter is expected to have at least six months to investigate the planet's landscape and atmosphere. At its closest point, it will be 365 kilometers (227 miles) from the planet's surface, and its furthest point will be 80,000 kilometers (49,700 miles) away.

India Says Its Mars Spacecraft on Course - ABC News

India has been in the game for long time now. They have sent two missions to the moon already. Now they are trying for Mars. I wish them all the luck.

I applaud the Indian government in realizing how important that an active research program that includes exploration is to creating a nation with a decent living standard. R and D in all fields of science is the key for any nation to advance the living standards of it's people. Wished that more people realized that in our nation.

I think US still has the largest space program on the Earth. I agree we should expand NASA a bit further. The applied benefits of R&D alone is worth the expenses.

Those of you remember - more or less 8 months ago India sent a mission to Mars. The spacecraft named Mangalyaan has traveled 540 million km from earth and it is expected to enter the orbit of Mars towards the end of this coming September.

---

India's Mars Orbiter spacecraft that left the Earth last November is nearing the Red planet with all its payloads in good condition, ISRO said Tuesday.

According to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), India's Mars Orbiter or Mangalyaan has travelled over 540 million km on its journey to the Red planet.

The Indian space agency said the Mars Orbiter has completed nearly 80 percent of its journey and is expected to enter the Mars orbit Sep 24.

Of the total Rs.450 crore budget on the project, India has spent Rs.349 crore on its Mars Orbiter Mission as on March 31, 2014.

The Mars Orbiter was launched Nov 5, 2013.

India's Mars Orbiter nearing Red planet

India's Mars orbiter mission ventured out of Earth's sphere of influence early Sunday in an attempt to reach the red planet's orbit after a critical maneuver.

The Bangalore-based Indian Space Research Organization said the spacecraft fired its main engine for more than 20 minutes, giving it the correct velocity to leave the earth's orbit.

"The Earth orbiting phase of the spacecraft ended. The spacecraft is now on a course to encounter Mars after a journey of about 10 months around the sun," the statement said.

India launched its first spacecraft bound for Mars on Nov.5, a complex mission that it hopes will demonstrate and advance technologies for space travel.

The 1,350-kilogram (3,000-pound) orbiter Mangalyaan, which means "Mars craft" in Hindi, must travel 780 million kilometers (485 million miles) over 300 days to reach an orbit around Mars next September.

If the mission is successful, India will become only the fourth space program to visit the red planet after the Soviet Union, the United States and Europe.

Some have questioned the $72 million price tag for a country of 1.2 billion people still dealing with widespread hunger and poverty. But the government defended the Mars mission, and its $1 billion space program in general, by noting its importance in providing high-tech jobs for scientists and engineers and practical applications in solving problems on Earth.

Decades of space research have allowed India to develop satellite, communications and remote sensing technologies that are helping to solve everyday problems at home, from forecasting where fish can be caught by fishermen to predicting storms and floods.

The orbiter will gather images and data that will help in determining how Martian weather systems work and what happened to the large quantities of water that are believed to have once existed on Mars.

It also will search Mars for methane, a key chemical in life processes that could also come from geological processes. Experts say the data will improve understanding about how planets form, what conditions might make life possible and where else in the universe it might exist.

The orbiter is expected to have at least six months to investigate the planet's landscape and atmosphere. At its closest point, it will be 365 kilometers (227 miles) from the planet's surface, and its furthest point will be 80,000 kilometers (49,700 miles) away.

This about where I start objecting to space exploration.

"in a country where 40% of children are malnourished and half the population have no toilets, wouldn’t the mission’s $70m budget be better spent on feeding the hungry? Or on fixing the energy system – more than 600 million Indians were hit this week by the world’s worst power cut."
From Poverty to Power » Should India be sending a rocket to Mars when 40% of children are malnourished? Vote now.

India moves into "First World" status while Obama halts NASA and moves us into "Third World" status. Thanks Idiot of the United States.

I was not aware that NASA got halted. If that is true, that is a bad news. I think we need more and more countries contributing towards space exploration for the benefit of mankind.

As far as India is concerned, it is a very long way from becoming a first world country. But they are certainly making efforts. They seem to understand that prosperity does not come by sitting around wishing for things. It comes after deliberate efforts. I am glad that India is taking initiatives to advance space technology in the country which creates jobs and enables various other civil projects resulting in benefits for millions of Indians.

Last edited:
This about where I start objecting to space exploration.

"in a country where 40% of children are malnourished and half the population have no toilets, wouldn’t the mission’s $70m budget be better spent on feeding the hungry? Or on fixing the energy system – more than 600 million Indians were hit this week by the world’s worst power cut."
From Poverty to Power » Should India be sending a rocket to Mars when 40% of children are malnourished? Vote now.

If we stop trying to go forwards the only way left is backwards. Invention and engineering help the world. This is good for India.

India moves into "First World" status while Obama halts NASA and moves us into "Third World" status. Thanks Idiot of the United States.

Dude, we need to fund nasa a little better and give them solid ground to advance our nation on.

Also infrastructure, science and r&d = a high per capita for the entire population. So those poor kids in india with time will have a stronger economy and higher paying jobs in their future. Something tells me the idiot above doesn't understand economics.

Last edited:
Some people think money falls from the sky. They do not seem to realize that money is a result of work. In modern times, work often means dealing with sophisticated technologies. When I was a young student growing up in rural India, I used to watch a TV channel called University Grant Commission. This channel carried real life lectures from university professors that helped me do my home work and other academic papers. This was made possible by India's ability to launch communication satellites. Imagine, if India had to buy these technologies from foreign countries, how many Indians would have been able to afford that. Not many. There is a long list of benefits for average Indian that India's space program brings. But to see that your outlook has to be objective. You cannot expect objectivity from a bunch of war mongering racist lunatics.

I was not aware that NASA got halted. If that is true, that is a bad news. I think we need more and more countries contributing towards space exploration for the benefit of mankind.

As far as India is concerned, it is a very long way from becoming a first world country. But they are certainly making efforts. They seem to understand that prosperity does not come by sitting around wishing for things. It comes after deliberate efforts. I am glad that India is taking initiatives to advance space technology in the country which creates jobs and enables various other civil projects resulting in benefits for millions of Indians.

Yup. Bama put the NASA space program on hold. Needed the cash for vacations I suppose.

Obama Halts NASA's Constellation Program | The Weekly Standard

God speed to them. Hopefully, we'll be able to get a manned mission together before too long.

Really? When the shuttle program was ended with no replacement NASA was halted. Where have you been?

Yup. Bama put the NASA space program on hold. Needed the cash for vacations I suppose.

Obama Halts NASA's Constellation Program | The Weekly Standard

I do not have problem with Obama taking vacation if other politicians and presidents are/were allowed the same benefit.

However, your post does raise an important question: Which one of the two has higher priority: vacation of a politician or NASA budget? May be a thread should be started in the politics forum to discuss that.

Last edited:

Really? When the shuttle program was ended with no replacement NASA was halted. Where have you been?

If my memory is correct, NASA launched another Mars mission around the same time ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) launched its first Mars mission. NASA's mission is much more involved and it used much heavier rocket.

Forum List

Back