India fastest growing startup nation

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
Rock on India!

---

SAN JOSE: India will play a big part in driving technology forward in the future, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said on Sunday as he praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for accelerating India's effort to become the next global hot bed of innovation and entrepreneurship.

Driving technology forward would really improve people's lives in India and all around the world, Pichai said.

"I am not just excited because I grew up in India, I am excited because I deeply care about technology and know that India will play a big part in its future," he said, adding that a lot of that is becoming possible because Modi is driving it forward.

"He (Modi) has accelerated India's effort to become next global hot bed of innovation and entrepreneurship," Pichai told a gathering of top Silicon Valley CEOs at a dinner hosted in honour of the Prime Minister, who is on a two-day visit to the city of San Jose.

India fastest growing startup nation: Sundar Pichai - Times of India

Rock on India!

---

SAN JOSE: India will play a big part in driving technology forward in the future, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said on Sunday as he praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for accelerating India's effort to become the next global hot bed of innovation and entrepreneurship.

Driving technology forward would really improve people's lives in India and all around the world, Pichai said.

"I am not just excited because I grew up in India, I am excited because I deeply care about technology and know that India will play a big part in its future," he said, adding that a lot of that is becoming possible because Modi is driving it forward.

"He (Modi) has accelerated India's effort to become next global hot bed of innovation and entrepreneurship," Pichai told a gathering of top Silicon Valley CEOs at a dinner hosted in honour of the Prime Minister, who is on a two-day visit to the city of San Jose.

India fastest growing startup nation: Sundar Pichai - Times of India

Now if India can just get its laws and infrastructure together maybe Indians won't be fleeing to the U.S. to start their companies.

Just heard about this yesterday- about Indian Americans and how they left India to come to the United States because we have an atmosphere that better encourages business development.

Hopefully India will solve some of the labor issues and infrastructure issues.

As someone who does business with both India and China- I love the idea of buying Indian- but the odds of an order not being ready on time, or a shipment not making it to the port on time is much higher out of India than out of China.

As one expat told me- that is the difference between dealing with the world's largest democracy- and the world's largest totalitarian government.

^ India is not the only country from where immigrants have come to the U.S.

Well duh. Why not start a whole thread on the obvious.

I for one welcome Indian Americans- your country men who have come here for opportunity have been extremely beneficial to the United States.

Listen to what Indian Americans say about why they are building business's here- and not in India.

India has tremendous potential- but it also has some very real obstacles for business- and those are among the reasons why many of India's best and brightest come to the United States.

A swami sold Granny some stock inna water buffalo an' snake-charmin' school...

India is World’s Fastest Growing Large Economy, Revival Still Slow
December 29, 2015 — Like tens of thousands of others, 33-year-old development consultant Shubhra Jain had high expectations from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government when it took power a year and a half ago. “There was such a sense of, my God, things are going to dramatically change whether it is economy, whether it is governance, whether it is just doing business,” said Jain.
Going by numbers, her expectations have been fulfilled. India overtook China as the world’s fastest growing large economy this year as growth accelerated to over 7 percent, and forecasts say it will retain the top slot next year. But economists caution that despite those headline-grabbing numbers, there are only nascent signs of a full-scale economic recovery in India. That is why Jain is no longer euphoric. “Definitely a little bit of realism has come in,” she said. Indeed, there are few signs of the kind of economic boom India witnessed some years ago — high consumer spending, skyrocketing real estate prices, fat pay rises and rapid expansion of corporates.

925CCCE6-C58C-4230-A068-31CC66DA7F9F_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy10_cw0.jpg

A roadside vendor arranges vegetables at his shop early in the morning in Ahmadabad, India​

Economists say although the economy is picking up momentum, the pace is still slow. Inflation has been tamed — it has come down from about 10 percent two years ago to less than six per cent this year. India, a huge oil importer, has reaped windfall gains from falling crude prices. But a push by the business-friendly Prime Minister Modi to turn India into an investment hub has had little impact. In September, at a meeting of the heads of India’s biggest industries, he urged them to take risks and invest, but so far, there are not many taking his advice.

Chief economist at ratings agency, Crisil in Mumbai, Dharmakirti Joshi, said that the “private sector is yet to open its purse strings. Most companies right now they are straddled with excess capacity. The utilization of capacities that they created in 2009 or 2010, 2011, is very low. Second reason is some of these companies in the private sector, have a huge debt burden which is only becoming worse.” As a result, it has been left to the government to give a push to the economy by hugely stepping up spending on infrastructure projects such as roads and in economic sectors including defense and railways.

62DDC28A-9B2F-4497-B52D-52158D36EF1A_w640_s.jpg

Two young girls carry a bucket to fetch water from a public tap at a slum in New Delhi, India​

That is helping to create jobs in some sectors such as retail and infrastructure, said Kris Lakshmikanth at recruiting agency Head Hunters India. “For almost one year there was no hiring, but now last six months we are seeing changes are happening. It has been improving month after month, the trend is very positive. It is for some the best of times, and for some it may not be the best of times.” There is a silver lining in other areas also. In a country whose economy is heavily dependent on domestic consumption, consumer spending is on the rise, particularly in urban areas. India has remained insulated from the global slowdown, largely because its economy is not export dependent and relies on its own market of 1.2 billion people.

MORE

Forum List

Back