‘Incalculable Damage’ If Debt Ceiling Not Raised

The fact that we're here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means 'The buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.

---Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., 2006.

WASHINGTON – Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said Monday that he will immediately halt investments in two big government pension plans so the government can continue to borrow money.

Geithner informed Congress of his decision in a letter stating that the government had officially reached its $14.3 trillion borrowing limit. He repeated a warning that if lawmakers do not increase the borrowing limit by August 2, the government is at risk of an unprecedented default on its debt.

Debt limit reached, US halts 2 pension investments - Yahoo! News

Wait a minute...people working for the GOV are paying into this pension plan but the Government is not living up to the terms of that contract?

So in effect the FED is STILL borrowing money, only they're doing it by borrowing from their own workforce?

My oh my! This IS getting interesting.

The fact that we're here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means 'The buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.

:lol: If he only knew then what he knows now...

He wouldn't have been so partisan about it in 06 if he knew right?

He wouldn't have been so partisan about it in 06 if he knew right?
Yep, same thing with Gitmo...
...wish he would say "now that i know what i didn't know I have changed my position" but I probably wouldn't say it so I can't give him too much grief .

Several times GW Bush apologized for his own actions, imho when he shouldn't have. Both Clinton and Obama apologized for America when they shouldn't have and have never acknowleged their own screw-ups when they ought to have.

That's different. Somehow. It just is. Uhhh...it's Bush's fault!!

There, did I do that right, USMB lefties?

faint.gif
, plain and simple, we are never going to formally default, we have gone past the debt ceiling drop dead several times in the past, read my post by Drunkemiller in the econ. forum...just more scare mongering.

Obama had to go through puberty first.

Forum List

Back