In Need of Wardrobe Help!

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
Good evening guys.

Okay, I've decided that I want to remake my wardrobe with business casual clothing. Being 26, I figure I'm long past due to start looking more professional. My normal attire is very uniform: x10 solid black t-shirts with chest pocket, x25 comfy Hanes underwear with NO irritating tags, x18 solid white crew cut socks, and x4 very comfy casual blue jeans.

For a long time I've liked uniformity. No having to fret over what to wear when all your clothes are the exact same thing. Makes your clothes wear out less quickly, and makes clothes shopping a breeze.

But now I'd like to start dressing better. My employer wears nice business casual clothing, as well as upper management... and I'd like to start dressing better, too.

However, I suck at buying clothes. Fashion is not a concept I like or understand. If you guys can help me with ideas on how to look good with business casual clothes, that'd be great. I used to wear black dress pants to job interviews, but I think some nice business-casual khakis, classy black business shoes and black socks, and a sleek black belt would look great. Besides blue scrubs and black shirts, I have not worn any other color from the waist up in two years. I should change it up a bit, I guess. Uniform black, classy socks would be swell, too.

One thing I absolutely refuse to replace in my wardrobe are the Hanes togless boxer briefs. Those things are quite comfortable, durable, and, well, nice. :D

Last edited:
I knew I forgot to mention something.

A nice, stainless steel watch would work wonders (can't use any watches with nickel).

They aren't that cheap, however. If it's more than $40, I'm willing to wait a while.

I knew I forgot to mention something.

A nice, stainless steel watch would work wonders (can't use any watches with nickel).

They aren't that cheap, however. If it's more than $40, I'm willing to wait a while.

Feel free to post a pic of your watch on your wrist.:eusa_whistle:

I haven't worn a watch in a good while. Used to have a cheap one, but the piece of metal connecting the strap to the watch broke. These last few days I've been meaning to get a nice quality watch, but have been apprehensive due to my finances (just paid off a large school loan and need to recoup).
Checking on Google, something like this would be nice:

ES2198_main

This one looks cool, too, but is probably expensive and a bit too "dressed up," I think.

high-quality-men-s-stainless-steel-watches.jpg

I've got the look for it, but I need the clothes. Here's what I'm thinking:

business_casual_-_male4_0.jpeg

business-casual-man2.jpg

Business-Casual-Men-2014-3.jpg

Last edited:
I like the European no collar business shirts....ties are like nooses to me...and beige or white khakis..

Last edited:
I haven't worn a watch in a good while. Used to have a cheap one, but the piece of metal connecting the strap to the watch broke. These last few days I've been meaning to get a nice quality watch, but have been apprehensive due to my finances (just paid off a large school loan and need to recoup).
Checking on Google, something like this would be nice:

This one looks cool, too, but is probably expensive and a bit too "dressed up," I think.

high-quality-men-s-stainless-steel-watches.jpg

Ooh....this is the one...^^^.

Also, hope this helps you some.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...ahs169l&sigt=137mncrg3&age=133756319458&&tt=b

Young Men How to dress casual - Yahoo Search Results

When in doubt, go to a place like The Men's Wearhouse and grab a suit ONE suit. The guys there will answer all your questions and be very helpful.

Then buy casual suits at less expensive stores, using what you've learned. Get a black one for somber occasions, but also dark blue suit, a beige summery one, and one in your most complimentary shade of grey.

Black is the old black. Great for funerals, horrible for going on a date.

Grey and beige shirts are...grey...and beige....

Use your black t-shirts to clean house and soak up spills in the kitchen.

Get no-pocket tees in assorted colors. Make sure to get a light blue and a terra cotta to go with your khakis.

Get dress shirts in the standard white, but also very pale blue and pale yellow.

Get a few pairs of shoes too, to coordinate with your suits - dressy, formal, and casual. Shoe stretchers might be an idea.

Do you have a set of not-too-bling cufflinks? A silver-tone tie tac? A gold-tone one? Do you have belts to go with your suits and jeans?

Last edited:
None of my direct family - my sons and I - can wear watches. They die. EMFs or something.

I hang one from my purse.

My sons have all taken to wearing pocket watches on a fob. They look good and many are inexpensive. You can upgrade later.

Regards from Rosie

None of my direct family - my sons and I - can wear watches. They die. EMFs or something.

I hang one from my purse.

My sons have all taken to wearing pocket watches on a fob. They look good and many are inexpensive. You can upgrade later.

Regards from Rosie

I have the same problem.

Welp, I went clothes shopping at Wal-Mart and Kohls.

Found a rather nice pair of khakis that were $22. Bit pricey, but if it lands me another job, then good. Also was searching for a practical stainless steel watch. Found one for $12.88, but later learned the dial that changes the month doesn't work. Will wear it for a while to see if it causes my skin to break out. It says it's stainless steel, but it may have nickel in it, too.

Then went to Kohls and picked up a nice, black XXLT polo. Croft & Barrow. Half price special, so $15.75. Not bad. Looks classy. Maybe I'll wear it on a date, too. :D Would of picked up some khakis from Kohls, but they want $58 for one stinkin' pair of khakis. Oh hell no. That's a lot of money there. I'd rather pick through Goodwill or the Salvation army than pay so much for khakis. What are they, nuts? :eek::lol:

Anyways, having to tuck my shirt in makes me feel uncomfortable and rather self-conscious. Soon I'll be hitting the gym and working out, so I can get my winter fat under control. :eusa_clap: :D

Last edited:
Tip #2: Don't mix color's of your metal accessories.

If your watch is silver......then your belt buckle, metal on sun glasses, etc., all need to be silver.

Same thing with gold.....do not mix......only wear matching gold colored accessories. ..... :cool:

The son finds a lot of his stuff at 'Savers' - which is a lot like 'Sally's' ( Salvation Army) but has more 'new old stock' and 'overruns' in addition to used stuff ...... Of course he has a 32" waist, so pants are easy to find. Church resale stores are another good source if you don't insist on 'new'.

One thing nobody has mentioned: do NOT buy "dress shirts" with short sleeves. They are inherently 'dorky', just like bow ties.......

There was a book many years ago titled 'Dress for Success' - it was actually pretty good advice, and men's styles don't change all that radically.

The son (age 24) has developed his own style, which includes ascots instead of ties.....this allows him to leave the top couple of shirt buttons open : )) It looks vaguely 'retro' but not 'girly': I think that's because of his 'athletic' profile with the broad shoulders. Oh, and if you're going to wear a tie with a shirt, get a collar size 1/2 larger to compensate. And if you're athletic or slender - go to the 'athletic cut' shirts, especially if you've got a large neck. (Husband used to have his taken in, starting with the armhole...it makes for a neater look and not all that expensive)

If you look you can find 'dressy' shoes which are about as comfy as 'sneakers' - and thinnish black/brown/navy/gray socks made mostly of cotton, which will allow your feet to 'breathe'. You really DO need at least 2 pair of shoes, so that one pair can 'rest' for a day and dry out completely.......

Wal-Mart is OK, but we found their quality somewhat lacking in 'dressy' clothes particularly. Kohl's does better for not all that much more money: get their credit card, and you get discounts and specials in addition to the flexibility of paying 'on time'. When Kohls has a sale, they often do HALF off for items like shoes and brand-name slacks.......

If you can possibly afford it, keep a 'spare' white dress shirt, basic dress shoes, and khaki/grey/navy pants available in case of disasters - you WILL spill something awful on your last clean dress shirt when you've got an important meeting at work.

And 'retire' items from your 'business' wardrobe when they start getting shabby: I used to put a big 'P' on the shirt label with laundry marker so the husband would remember it was for 'play' and not 'work' (of course you use a piece of cardboard behind the label so it does not bleed through!)

re: the watch. Try buying a small bottle of CLEAR nail polish and painting just the back of the watch then let it dry for a day: that may spare your skin.

Forum List

Back