In defense of flogging

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Quantum Windbag, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    This guy makes some really good points. I wonder how many people here will totally miss the point.

In lieu of prison, bring back the lash - The Washington Post

Anyone that is serious about reforming the prison system should read his book.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465021484?ie=UTF8&tag=slatmaga-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=0465021484]Amazon.com: In Defense of Flogging (9780465021482): Peter Moskos: Books[/ame]

2. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Give China America's Hispanic and black population, and watch the changes

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Actually I think the stocks, pillory and PUBLIC HUMILIATUON might be a more effective approach than the lash.

But it's a DROP DEAD CINCH that if we make our prison system

1. A for profit industy , and

2. A place where for profit corporation can hire cheap (very cheap) labor

That this nation will end up with MORE PRISONS and MORE prisoners, simply because it will serve the MASTERS.

Basically what we are turning our nation into is a SLAVE nation as we legalize and encourage prison labor

4. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    People shouldn't do the crime if they can't do the time. I know the prisons are over-crowded, and I don't have any explanations on how to help that problem, honestly I don't consider it my personal problem, I wasn't the one that committed the crime.
    5 years in prison compared to 10 lashes?? Come on, of course you know people will pick the whippings. Damn, they walk the streets free the next day, and not spending 5 YEARS in a pen, sure does sound better to most no doubt.
    If I had to choose, seriously?? I would choose prison. This ole gal has enough 'flogging' in her lifetime, and I have some scars left to prove it, I really don't think I could live with the mental pain or physical pain of lashing/flogging/whipping anymore.
    But then, I'm not planning on going to prison any time in my life either.

5. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I am a STRONG supporter of a number of "alternative" punishment methods.

I support flogging, branding, pillorying, tarring and feathering (or some similar modern equivelant), public execution, chain gangs, and public humiliation as means of punishing criminal offenders IN ADDITION TO the option for incarceration.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Not that any of the above worked very well in the past, and not that prisons rehabilitate now, either.

Basically if you want MOST people not to do crimes, in most cases we'd have to give those people something to LOSE other than just their freedom.

Now, of course, there is a class of person who will be a criminal regardless of what they have to lose. There is NOTHING that can be done about that class of criminal.

But for most people who end up doing crime, they really had so little lose and so much to gain by doing crimes, that for them the choice was obvious.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  7. Kiki Cannoli

Kiki Cannoli Have you met my shadow?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +839
    I say hell yeah if costumes are mandatory...

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I think that some of those things would work very well nowadays. Especially in our society.

The biggest thing they would lose in some of those situations is their "good name". You walk in to apply for a job.... "Gee, weren't you in the pillory out in front of city hall last week? Sorry, the job has been filled." "Gee, you seem like a real nice gal except for that adulteress' "A" branded on your neck."

Very true. The only thing to do in those cases is what you do with mad dogs.... put them down for the betterment of society.

That's why we need to create a system where the penalties for doing the crime are worse than the rewards.

9. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Bad idea. The reason that many would choose the lash is because it is not much of a punishment. Temporary pain is nothing compared to the loss of time. Then again, time in prison usually makes a criminal MORE likely to commit crime. The only plus to prison is that many are afraid to become criminals in the first place.

The point about the drug war is spot on though and it seems this realization is becoming more and more widespread. For the first time, I actually think that I may see real reform on this within my lifetime.
    Criminals do not have a ‘good’ name to worry about. If anything, it would be a badge of honor for many. People purposely get ‘branded’ after they get out of prison.

10. wolf_22

wolf_22 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah that 8th amendment - how fucking annoying.

we have overcorwding b./c of the drug war and those mandatory sentences. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that each crime is different and supposing everyone belongs in jail for the same time is stupid

we also have a bigger issue - no rehabilitation or crime prevention. prisons do little, but at least offer some. beating someone doesn't reform them. it reinforces violence as being acceptable.
    and does little to address why the crime happened in the first place both to stop the person from reoffended later and to prevent other crime