Outrage Over Allowing Megan Kanka's Convicted Killer To Pursue Appeal

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Jersey appeals court has ruled the man convicted of sexually assaulting and killing the young girl that Megan's Law is named after can press ahead with certain legal appeals -but they've denied his request to be released from custody. Jesse Timmendequas- who's serving a life sentence at New Jersey state prison in Trenton- insists his lawyers were ineffective at the time he was found guilty of murdering 7 year old Megan Kanka back in 1997.

He says giving Timmendequas the right to appeal his conviction means the Kanka family "now has to literally go back to square one - go through these court proceedings, and one cannot even describe the emotional trauma that they're going to experience…

"the Legislature and Jon Corzine were wrong to abolish the death penalty for sexual predators who kill children. Now these deranged killers will waste our tax dollars with appeals, and some will be freed.

Outrage Over Ruling Allowing Megan Kanka's Convicted Killer To Pursue Appeal - New Jersey 101.5 FM

He is 100% guilty. If Corzine had not abolished the death penalty, he would be six feet under. Now the state will spend a zillion dollars on his appeal, which will still result in his conviction. This shit has got to stop.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the murder of Megan Kanka:

Timmendequas lived with two other convicted sex offenders across the street from his victim. He lured the girl into his house by offering to show her a puppy. After raping her, he slammed her head onto a dresser, put two plastic bags over her head, and strangled her to death with a belt. He moved her body to his truck, assaulting her once again before placing the body in a wooden toy chest and dumping it in nearby Mercer County Park. The next day, he confessed to investigators and led police to the site. Evidence including bloodstains, hair, and fiber samples, as well as a bite mark matching Megan Kanka's teeth on Timmendequas' hand, led to Timmendequas being found guilty of kidnapping, four counts of aggravated sexual assault, and two counts of felony murder — committing murder in the course of a felony.[2]

MegansLaw.jpg

Appeals have to do with court process, not guilt. they have to do with whether all of the rights of the accused have been protected.

and you can't be outraged that he has the right to appeal. well, you can. but it's silly. EVERY Supreme Court case dealing with the legitimacy of interrogation and evidence deals with someone who is probably guilty. but like any right, if we don't protect them for the people we find abhorrent, those rights don't exist.

Appeals have to do with court process, not guilt. they have to do with whether all of the rights of the accused have been protected.

and you can't be outraged that he has the right to appeal. well, you can. but it's silly. EVERY Supreme Court case dealing with the legitimacy of interrogation and evidence deals with someone who is probably guilty. but like any right, if we don't protect them for the people we find abhorrent, those rights don't exist.

While I do agree with you.... it seems to me that, sometimes, the letter of the law outweighs common sense. If there was any doubt over his conviction, if there was some evidence - other than his claim that his lawyers ineffectiveness - then I would agree. But, the evidence against him was overwhelming. There was no miscarriage of justice, and his rights do not outweigh the rights of the family to be left in peace. He is not 'the accused, he is 'the guilty'. Of that, there is no doubt.

And, for the record, this man should be dead, not in prison. Raping and murdering a child deserves the death penalty.

Last edited:

Well stated. It's about due process, not an individual.

While I do agree with you.... it seems to me that, sometimes, the letter of the law outweighs common sense. If there was any doubt over his conviction, if there was some evidence - other than his claim that his lawyers ineffectiveness - then I would agree. But, the evidence against him was overwhelming. There was no miscarriage of justice, and his rights do not outweigh the rights of the family to be left in peace. He is not 'the accused, he is 'the guilty'. Of that, there is no doubt.

And, for the record, this man should be dead, not in prison. Raping and murdering a child deserves the death penalty.

Whose? Yours? Sorry, I've read a few of your other posts, I'll stick to the letter of the law:cool:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the family will only get involved if an appeals court finds his representation was ineffective, and they order a new trial. Until then its handled by the prosecutors appeals team. I have a feeling it will not get further than that.

My primary issue with this case goes back to the argument that true pedophiles such as this scumbag really need to be locked away for good. The laws on the books need to be changed either increase the penalty to 30-40 years for this stuff, or allow for them to be sent to a secured environment after they serve thier term.

Just cannot understand the game in the judicial system of this nation: Animal abusers get months in jail, kidnappers get 36 years in prison and yet the Jared Loughner and Jesse Timmendequa may walk free or allowed to waste millions of taxpayers monies.

I appreciate your knowledge and love for the law, but what is the purpose of this? What "justice" will be served? They will only retry him on the murder. The kidnapping is sticking, so he still will be in jail for life. I just don't get it.

The Kankas have been through too much. What about their rights?

I appreciate your knowledge and love for the law, but what is the purpose of this? What "justice" will be served? They will only retry him on the murder. The kidnapping is sticking, so he still will be in jail for life. I just don't get it.

The problem is, you can't deny someone their rights just because you think that they're guilty. It doesn't work that way.

I'm sure he is guilty, and I'm sure that's what the court will find.

You have to think of it as if you were accused of a horrible crime. Even if everyone else is "sure" that you did it, you still have a significant number of rights that can't be taken away. It's what makes America great.

And as much as it sucks, the Kankas don't have the "right" to not be bothered.

Last edited:
What rights were denied? He had a fair trial. He now claims he had "ineffective counsel" which means what? They lost? Can every convicted person appeal based on that?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that his lawyers sucked. Will they be disbarred? If that's the point, then fine. If there is no admonishment, then what's the fucking point? I still don't get it.

What rights were denied? He had a fair trial. He now claims he had "ineffective counsel" which means what? They lost? Can every convicted person appeal based on that?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that his lawyers sucked. Will they be disbarred? If that's the point, then fine. If there is no admonishment, then what's the fucking point? I still don't get it.

If those we believe are guilty have no rights then no one has any rights. The law allows for convicted the path to appeal based on a number of things, this is to ensure that the original conviction is not tainted or illegal itself.

Remove the process and people not guilty of some crimes will be convicted and have no means to prove they were innocent of the charges.

In this case the evidence appears daunting. Even if he gets a new trial, which is unlikely, he will be convicted again.

If Corzine had not abolished the death penalty, he would be six feet under. Now the state will spend a zillion dollars on his appeal, which will still result in his conviction.

Not necessarily.

This shit has got to stop.

The right to appeal?

He says giving Timmendequas the right to appeal his conviction means the Kanka family "now has to literally go back to square one - go through these court proceedings, and one cannot even describe the emotional trauma that they're going to experience…

That a victim’s family may incur emotional distress is not justification for doing away with the right to appeal, or to even curtail that right.

Everyone has the same rights.

Yes.
A person convicted at a trial has the right to appeal the conviction at least once. Appeal is not a right under the federal Constitution, but all jurisdictions permit all those who are convicted to make one appeal. Also, the federal Constitution has been interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court to guarantee counsel for all indigent persons for that appeal.

May I appeal my conviction?- ABA Family Legal Guide

so who decides who is worthy of the right to appeal provided by law and by right?

you? me? some drunk at the corner bar?

it's not, again, about common sense. it's about what the law provides. either you believe in the rule of law or you don't. you don't get to decide who gets their rights and who doesn't.... no matter how much one may dislike the person whose rights are protected.

but protecting those rights protects them for everyone.

You're missing the point. There's a very specific set of laws and rights when it comes to this sort of thing, and to deny someone those rights just because you're certain that he's guilty goes against the whole point of what makes our justice system better than every other one that came before it.

For every guilty person who's ever been convicted of a crime they didn't commit, there have been many people who were certain they were guilty.

If there was any doubt over his conviction, if there was some evidence - other than his claim that his lawyers ineffectiveness - then I would agree. But, the evidence against him was overwhelming. There was no miscarriage of justice, and his rights do not outweigh the rights of the family to be left in peace. He is not 'the accused, he is 'the guilty'. Of that, there is no doubt.

The vast majority of violated rights that are established on appeal are just as quickly whisked away from the appellant by the appeals court, as "harmless error." In other words, the appellate court says something to the effect of: "The appellant's claim that the failure of the trial court to allow presentation of evidence regarding clothing worn by the suspect at the time of the murder is error, is sustained. However, in light of the overwhelming evidence supporting the guilty verdict, the trial court's ruling in this regard is deemed harmless error. Conviction is affirmed."

When IAC (Ineffective Assistance of Counsel) is claimed, the appellate court always wants to know exactly what did trial counsel do (or fail to do) to render his/her assistance ineffective. It the IAC relates to some minor aspect of the trial, the appellate ruling well could be IAC sustained, but harmless error.

If, on the other hand, IAC is found and it is NOT harmless error, then the defendant should get a new trial - obviously.

If he truly had ineffective counsel, then he could NOT POSSIBLY have had a fair trial.

You ask can every convicted person appeal based on Ineffective Assistance of Counsel? You would be amazed at how many of them try. Hardly any of them win. When a convicted person's only ground for appeal is IAC, you can bet they have nothing else and are shooting the only shot they think they have left.

Don't worry - his chances of winning are slim and none.

George - I have a couple questions.

1. He sat on death row for years. Wouldn't there have been appeals then?

2. What consequence is there for the lawyers? If the judge feels they were "ineffective" will they be admonished? Will their reputations be destroyed?

3. The prosecution had DNA and a confession. How much more did they have to prove?

This story made me sick to my stomach. I have friends who live in that neighborhood. Their daughter was the same age as Megan. They met with Gov. Whitman regarding Megan's Law. This crime affected a whole lot of people. If this judge is wrong, what's his admonishment?

George - I have a couple questions.

1. He sat on death row for years. Wouldn't there have been appeals then?

2. What consequence is there for the lawyers? If the judge feels they were "ineffective" will they be admonished? Will their reputations be destroyed?

3. The prosecution had DNA and a confession. How much more did they have to prove?

This story made me sick to my stomach. I have friends who live in that neighborhood. Their daughter was the same age as Megan. They met with Gov. Whitman regarding Megan's Law. This crime affected a whole lot of people. If this judge is wrong, what's his admonishment?

We will have to wait until the appeals judge/court rules on ineffective counsel. If he wins, then I guess the state can appeal THAT decsion, and after that, then you may have a new trial.

Thanks marty. Sounds like a lengthy process. I could understand if he was still on death row. But that's moot now. Even if he got off on the murder charge, the kidnapping and rape would be a life term. I still don't get it.

If someone gets 6 consecutive life terms, should they be granted an appeal on one? It defies logic.

Forum List

Back