Outrage Over Allowing Megan Kanka's Convicted Killer To Pursue Appeal

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by chanel, Jun 16, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Outrage Over Ruling Allowing Megan Kanka's Convicted Killer To Pursue Appeal - New Jersey 101.5 FM

He is 100% guilty. If Corzine had not abolished the death penalty, he would be six feet under. Now the state will spend a zillion dollars on his appeal, which will still result in his conviction. This shit has got to stop.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the murder of Megan Kanka:

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    Appeals have to do with court process, not guilt. they have to do with whether all of the rights of the accused have been protected.

and you can't be outraged that he has the right to appeal. well, you can. but it's silly. EVERY Supreme Court case dealing with the legitimacy of interrogation and evidence deals with someone who is probably guilty. but like any right, if we don't protect them for the people we find abhorrent, those rights don't exist.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    While I do agree with you.... it seems to me that, sometimes, the letter of the law outweighs common sense. If there was any doubt over his conviction, if there was some evidence - other than his claim that his lawyers ineffectiveness - then I would agree. But, the evidence against him was overwhelming. There was no miscarriage of justice, and his rights do not outweigh the rights of the family to be left in peace. He is not 'the accused, he is 'the guilty'. Of that, there is no doubt.

And, for the record, this man should be dead, not in prison. Raping and murdering a child deserves the death penalty.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  4. oldsalt

oldsalt Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well stated. It's about due process, not an individual.

5. oldsalt

oldsalt Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Whose? Yours? Sorry, I've read a few of your other posts, I'll stick to the letter of the law:cool:

6. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,026
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the family will only get involved if an appeals court finds his representation was ineffective, and they order a new trial. Until then its handled by the prosecutors appeals team. I have a feeling it will not get further than that.

My primary issue with this case goes back to the argument that true pedophiles such as this scumbag really need to be locked away for good. The laws on the books need to be changed either increase the penalty to 30-40 years for this stuff, or allow for them to be sent to a secured environment after they serve thier term.

7. LAfrique

LAfrique VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Just cannot understand the game in the judicial system of this nation: Animal abusers get months in jail, kidnappers get 36 years in prison and yet the Jared Loughner and Jesse Timmendequa may walk free or allowed to waste millions of taxpayers monies.

8. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I appreciate your knowledge and love for the law, but what is the purpose of this? What "justice" will be served? They will only retry him on the murder. The kidnapping is sticking, so he still will be in jail for life. I just don't get it.

The Kankas have been through too much. What about their rights?

9. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    The problem is, you can't deny someone their rights just because you think that they're guilty. It doesn't work that way.

I'm sure he is guilty, and I'm sure that's what the court will find.

You have to think of it as if you were accused of a horrible crime. Even if everyone else is "sure" that you did it, you still have a significant number of rights that can't be taken away. It's what makes America great.

And as much as it sucks, the Kankas don't have the "right" to not be bothered.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    What rights were denied? He had a fair trial. He now claims he had "ineffective counsel" which means what? They lost? Can every convicted person appeal based on that?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that his lawyers sucked. Will they be disbarred? If that's the point, then fine. If there is no admonishment, then what's the fucking point? I still don't get it.