In Aleppo, 'Happy' the monkey is zoo's last resident

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's too bad some animal rescue group couldn't get him out to safely and put in another zoo or sanctuary where he will have company.

The New Arab & agencies

The 22-year-old hamadryas baboon had for years been a much-loved attraction [AFP]

Date of publication: 17 September, 2016

• A 22-year-old hamadryas baboon is the last animal left in Aleppo’s makeshift zoo having survived Syria’s five-year conflict.

At a rundown park near the frontlines in the Syrian city of Aleppo, a fragile truce has brought out visitors to see the last animal left at a makeshift zoo - "Happy" the monkey.
The 22-year-old hamadryas baboon has been a much-loved attraction at Sabil park in the western portion of the city for years.

But the conflict since March 2011 that has split Aleppo between government control in the west and its rebel-held east has taken its toll on Saeed, whose name is Arabic for "happy".

"He's not as happy as he was before the war. He used to be cheerful and happy but now he seems old, and he's sad because he doesn't get visitors like before," said Abdullah al-Jaghal, his 52-year-old keeper.

Continue reading at:

Most other animals in syrian zoos have been eaten. Maybe actually looking into such a human like face hit an emotional string

Eating their own childen after death was a matter of survival. In desperation others around the world, even in american, they have done the same

Most other animals in syrian zoos have been eaten. Maybe actually looking into such a human like face hit an emotional string

Eating their own childen after death was a matter of survival. In desperation others around the world, even in american, they have done the same

Now that you mention that, Aris, I thought about what happened at the Donner Pass in California. Also, remember when that plane went down in the Andes and a book and movie were made about it.

'I had to eat piece of my friend to survive': Torment of 1972 Andes plane crash survivor still haunted by his ordeal 40 years later

Forum List

Back