In 1880 How Did They Take The Earth's Temperature???

i'
So the basis of "global warming" theory has been these 11,000 weather stations around the world.
So again explain to a novice like me:

No problem. The basis of AGW has NOTHING to do with what the temperature actually is. It has to do with the emission of GHGs and what happens to the absorbed energy. I hope that helps, because you seem to be accepting the arguments of those who come at it from a political angle and make every attempt to confuse people on the science. If there are any hoaxes involved, it's on the part of the people payed to destroy to theory by any means possible, fair or foul.
So you are saying the temperature readings are meaningless? Tell that to NOAA.

I'm saying that by fixating on temps and crowing about any lack of change over the last decade misses the point that CO2 absorbs anergy and to ignore it is to ignore the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Carbon sequestration, air quality, and climate change
A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year, and can sequester one ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.
Tree Facts American Forests

In 2011, utility coal plants in the United States emitted a total of 1.7 billion tons of CO2.
coal power air pollution Union of Concerned Scientists

According to the last forest inventory, there are almost 247 billion trees over 1 inch in diameter in the U.S.
Tree Facts Facts About Trees

So according to my figures...
70.8 billion of the 247 billion trees or 28% can absorb ALL the 1.7 billion tons of CO2 emitted each year by all the coal fired utility plants.
Please follow my substantiation sources and tell me why then does Obama want to bankrupt all the coal burning utilities?

Records go back to 1880.
Climatologists define summer in the Northern Hemisphere as the months of June, July and August.
2014 was a summer sizzler Earth s hottest on record

The below is the type of thermometers used to record temperatures.
View attachment 32329

So a human reads these temperatures at a discrete differential of 1 degree?
In other words how could people in the 1880s read the above thermometers differentiating 1 degree up or down?

And here is a copy of how the temperatures are recorded...by hand.. and note how there were corrections.
Now consider these handwritten entries are then susceptible to handwriting errors.."is that a '2' or a '3'"?

Consider that there are two opportunities for "MISINTERPRETATION".. reading the actual temperature and then recording and then re-recording... isn't it just a little suspect to make a distinction of "1.28 degree" increase as the records indicate?

View attachment 32328

Dr Jeff Masters shows why siting and instrumentation matters 8211 Death Valley steals all time temperature record from Libya Watts Up With That

images

Here's how OR's grandpappy did science back then. He called people Phrenology Deniers!!!

They recreated the data using these.....Scientology E-Meters!

01-scientology-e-meter.jpg

It's the deniers that are lying all the time. Does CO2 have the ability to absorb energy? Has the concentration in the atmosphere been going up since the advent of the Industrial Revolution? If those two statements are true, who's really lying when they call AGW a hoax?

In science, you have to actually establish the relationship between two things. I lived and worked, then died. That does not establish work killed me.

It's the deniers that are lying all the time. Does CO2 have the ability to absorb energy? Has the concentration in the atmosphere been going up since the advent of the Industrial Revolution? If those two statements are true, who's really lying when they call AGW a hoax?

With all due disrespect, you are a special kind of tard.

This guy thinks people that do not buy into the OBVIOUSglobal warming HOAXshould be put in jail.

Do we or can we appreciate how fucking stupid someone would need to be to believe that?

You kind of have that backwards, IMO. People that understand a topic, discuss it. Those that don't call other people names, because it's all they've got. Get a brain, son, and then get back to us.
People understanding a topic would know that is not a thermometer that would have been used by weather tracking stations in the 1800s.

This guy thinks people that do not buy into the OBVIOUSglobal warming HOAXshould be put in jail.

Do we or can we appreciate how fucking stupid someone would need to be to believe that?

You kind of have that backwards, IMO. People that understand a topic, discuss it. Those that don't call other people names, because it's all they've got. Get a brain, son, and then get back to us.
People understanding a topic would know that is not a thermometer that would have been used by weather tracking stations in the 1800s.

So were there digital thermometers in the 1800s?
My understanding that mercury height in a tube was the method

Known as the Six's thermometer is a registering thermometer which can record the maximum and minimum temperaturesreached over a period of time, for example 24 hours. It is used to record the extremes of temperature at a location, for instance in meteorology and horticulture. It was invented by Englishman James Six in 1782; the same basic design remains in use.
Note the statement below picture.. "Mercury has retreated to about 26.5ºC" and tell me how with a 1/10th of º accuracy, consistent readings standing outside in the cold and heat in 11,000 reading stations around the world over 100 years AND then these readings
copied down to paper AND then transposed to a log which is copied by hand to a central reporting ..all prior to computers.
There is just too much dependency on human eyes and human judgement.."is that 26.5º or 26.9º? " in the years prior to digital readouts
with all the error potentials in recording the data to make a definitive statement "
So why the quibbling about 1º or 2º?
The Origins of 1ºC – United Nations 1990

“…eyond 1 degree C may elicit rapid, unpredictable and non-linear responses that could lead to extensive ecosystem damage.”

- United Nations Advisory Group on Greenhouse Gases
Expos The 2 Death Dance The 1 Cover-up Part I From the NonProfit Industrial Complex with Love

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 6.38.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 6.39.38 AM.png

Six s thermometer - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 6.32.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 6.32.05 AM.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 73

tumblr_mam5rgPbCS1rdns3wo1_400.gif

And that is relevent to how the glaciers are now retreating worldwide?

USGS Report Series Fact Sheet 2005 3056 Satellite Image Atlas of Glaciers of the World

Introduction
Most mountain glaciers worldwide have been retreating since the late 1800s (at the end of the “Little Ice Age”), and global sea level has risen about 30 centimeters since then. Glaciers vary in size in response to changes in global and regional climates (such as warmer summers). The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) studies the complex links among glacier variation, climate change, and global sea level.

There are many proxies for the measurement of temperture, even millions of years ago. That you have not done the research to understand how this is done, is simply an indictication of your willfull ignorance, and the fact that you intend to stay ignorant.

In science, you have to actually establish the relationship between two things. I lived and worked, then died. That does not establish work killed me.

OK, dumb fuck, here is the relationship for GHGs and the absorption of heat by our atmosphere in detail;

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

We have all the dumb fucks flapping yap and posting idiocy, yet all the Scientific Societies, all the National Academies of Science, and all the major Universities of the world have policy statements that state AGW is real and a clear and present danger. But our idiots know so much more than all of these people. What a bunch of ignorant losers.

OK, dumb fuck, here is the relationship for GHGs and the absorption of heat by our atmosphere in detail;

Makes you wonder why with all the CO2 why there has been no warming over the last 18 years.

Do any of these morons ever ask if it is truly warming that why there is a concerted movement to change the terminology from global warming to climate change.

Does any liberal have an explanation why all of the politicians around the world have all changed the term? If it is truly warming and all of the warming is due to man, then why change the term?

Go ahead, let us know why they would change it from warming, if it is continuously warming.

The morons on the left do not think it has anything to do with the facts regarding the climate, that there has not been any warming for close to 20 years and that the ice expanse has more than doubled in that time in the North and South poles?

Well, what is your "educated" explanation?

i'
So the basis of "global warming" theory has been these 11,000 weather stations around the world.
So again explain to a novice like me:

No problem. The basis of AGW has NOTHING to do with what the temperature actually is. It has to do with the emission of GHGs and what happens to the absorbed energy. I hope that helps, because you seem to be accepting the arguments of those who come at it from a political angle and make every attempt to confuse people on the science. If there are any hoaxes involved, it's on the part of the people payed to destroy to theory by any means possible, fair or foul.
So you are saying the temperature readings are meaningless? Tell that to NOAA.

I'm saying that by fixating on temps and crowing about any lack of change over the last decade misses the point that CO2 absorbs anergy and to ignore it is to ignore the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Carbon sequestration, air quality, and climate change
A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year, and can sequester one ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.
Tree Facts American Forests

In 2011, utility coal plants in the United States emitted a total of 1.7 billion tons of CO2.
coal power air pollution Union of Concerned Scientists

According to the last forest inventory, there are almost 247 billion trees over 1 inch in diameter in the U.S.
Tree Facts Facts About Trees

So according to my figures...
70.8 billion of the 247 billion trees or 28% can absorb ALL the 1.7 billion tons of CO2 emitted each year by all the coal fired utility plants.
Please follow my substantiation sources and tell me why then does Obama want to bankrupt all the coal burning utilities?

Calling obvious Bullshit on you. You did not include the CO2 emitted when there were forest fires, from trees fallen and rotting, or the rotting of wood used in buildings.

Whenever you wish to engage in reasoned debate on this issue, I am willing to listen. Until then, you post drivel like this, and you are simply an idiot Bullshitter.

We have all the dumb fucks flapping yap and posting idiocy, yet all the Scientific Societies, all the National Academies of Science, and all the major Universities of the world have policy statements that state AGW is real and a clear and present danger. But our idiots know so much more than all of these people. What a bunch of ignorant losers.

Blah blah blah blah, we still have no evidence blah blah blahbalh ^2

...and there's no warming for the past 2 decades. Well, until you add it the "warming" from the Deep Pacific Ocean

No. AGW is not a scam

Whatever gave you that idea?

Makes you wonder why with all the CO2 why there has been no warming over the last 18 years.

Do any of you morons ever ask if it is truly warming that why there is a concerted movement to change the terminology from global warming to climate change.

Do you have an explanation why all of the politicians around the world have all changed the term? If it is truly warming and all of the warming is due to man, then why change the term?

Go ahead, let us know why they would change it from warming, if it is continuously warming.

You do not think it has anything to do with the facts regarding there has not been any warming for close to 20 years and that the ice expanse has more than doubled in that time in the North and South poles?

Well, what is your "educated" explanation?

Well, dumb fuck, when have the warmest years recorded occurred? In the last 20 years, that is when. No warming, yet these are the warmest years recorded? No, the ice has not doubled, either at the north or south pole. You are not only a flap-yapper, you are liar.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.area.arctic.png

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.area.antarctic.png

Protecting the environment and conserving energy and finding renewable energy sources are a good idea whether the earth is warming, cooling, or staying the same.

That is the important truth that gets lost in this stupid debate.

All the anti-global warming crowd wants is license to pollute and rape the Earth for profit. It's really no more complicated than that.

And that is relevent to how the glaciers are now retreating worldwide?

USGS Report Series Fact Sheet 2005 3056 Satellite Image Atlas of Glaciers of the World

Introduction
Most mountain glaciers worldwide have been retreating since the late 1800s (at the end of the “Little Ice Age”), and global sea level has risen about 30 centimeters since then. Glaciers vary in size in response to changes in global and regional climates (such as warmer summers). The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) studies the complex links among glacier variation, climate change, and global sea level.

There are many proxies for the measurement of temperture, even millions of years ago. That you have not done the research to understand how this is done, is simply an indictication of your willfull ignorance, and the fact that you intend to stay ignorant.
While Arctic sea ice declines in 2014, Antarctic sea ice increases
Arctic sea ice continued its long-term decline in 2014. Meanwhile, sea ice on the other side of the planet was headed in the opposite direction.
Meanwhile, sea ice on the other side of the planet was headed in the opposite direction. While it was not yet possible to determine if Antarctic sea ice had reached its maximum extent for the year, the five-day average had already surpassed 20 million square kilometers (7.70 million square miles) for the first time in the modern satellite record, according to NSIDC.

While Arctic sea ice declines in 2014 Antarctic sea ice increases Earth EarthSky

FIRST TIME IN MODERN SATELLITE RECORD!!!
Not to say it is a record as they remind us but First time!!!

Forum List

Back