Immigration Policy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 5stringJeff, Dec 2, 2003.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Question: What should America's immigration policy be?

Specifically, should the US decrease immigration? Decrease it? Target specific countries? How should the US deal with illegal immigrants? How should the US deal with its borders with Canada and Mexico? Who should the US grant political asylum to?

2. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Close the gates and get out the weaponry!

Just kidding.

Immigration will always be complicated because none of us (unless of Native American descent) can actually claim to be from this land. But, to the victors go the spoils so at some point, regulating immigration is important- it just takes someone much smarter than me to figure out how- so that our country becomes stronger rather than weaker. I think laws regarding immigration should be voted on one by one so that the cumulative effect can be measured.

Now, as for illegal immigrants, in my opinion they should be sent back to where they come from, given no $ or other aid here in this country until every American citizen and other legal immigrant's needs are satiated and permitted to apply for legal immigration which if granted should be under the assumption that they pay back the costs of deporting them the first time.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I believe it has been the immigrants from the very beginning that made this country great. With that said, I do not believe that axiom means that illegal immigration is right. I really do not care that our 16 year olds do not wish to work at McD's or picking fruit. I do believe that there would be legal immigrants and unemployed family members willing to fill these positions. If not, up the legal immigrant quotas.

The INS regulations are the fault of the juxtopositon between need and supply. Fix that.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Here's my answer to my question:

I think that immigration to America should be tightly controlled. We should set a quota, by country, of how many immigrants can come into the country. We should not allow immigrants into the US from countries that sponsor terrorism, like Libya, Syria, Iran, etc. We should not allow immigrants to collect welfare or other similar government benefits.
    Illegal immigrants... I think we should have our borders guarded by the military, not by the INS. Illegal immigrants should be immediately deported to their home countries.

5. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    The subject of illegal immigration could be a boon or bust for both dominate American political parties. That's why neither address it in any other way than obliquely. Personally, I'm no longer in an active political role, I recognise that were it not for illegal immigration there would not be an America as we know it today.

As the world has changed and that there are certainly many more organized worldwide criminal elements that desire immigration to this land of supposed riches I think the policy needs to be one of strict or at least more careful examination.

My local convenience stores are all run by, I think, legal immigrants. The local motels as well. The county employs almost exclusively immigrants for our water and utility works. I really don't see any problem with that except that the immigrants tend to drive comparable wage rates down. Be that as it is.

The American IT industry is already feeling the pain as more and more IT gigs are being outsourced to India, the Phillipines and other places. The garment and heavy industrial manufacturing gigs got most of that pain during the Reagan assault on American jobs and they still lose out to this day for the same reasons. There was an 8 year hiatus to that phenomenon as Bill Clinton refused to grant huge tax breaks to industries that chose to move offshore but that is now history. Free trade is not free trade unless it is played on level playing ground. But that is a long and complicated subject.

I could go on and on but for now I'll just listen for a bit.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    OK, my take. Illegals from any locale should be sent back to country of origin, unless exception made for persecution-bad news for Mexico.

I think that numbers and qualifications for needed immigrants should be updated annually, good news for Mexico.

My problem with current immigration rules are that we, the US, acknowledge a need for cheap labor, yet are unwilling to both up are quotas or enforce out laws. Did we learn nothing from 1775?

7. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Is that "need for cheap labor" of which you speak actually a "need" or is it simply a preference (as can be understandable) or is it a ploy for American employers to use to keep wage rates down while refusing benefit packages all the while keeping the bottom line looking real good for the investers?

Keep on screwing the workers and eventually the bottom line will go upside down along with our rather comfortable American standard of living.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    What is it about capitalism you don't understand? I believe that is the question.

9. Psychoblues

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    There's probably a lot about the textbook version of capitalism that I don't understand. The business colleges are chock full of right wing ideologues that know nothing about practical capitalism and ignore even their own textbook examples.

But I don't want to bore you with facts. I'd rather entertain you with politicalese.

:)

10. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    According to some of the Libs on here, America is despised throughout the world. Why would anyone want to immigrate here?

And once they arrive on their rubber rafts I say we nudge it right back into the water and let them float elsewhere.

Of course I'll need a new landscaper, short order cook & gas station pumper - I think I'll manage when I see Americans getting the jobs instead.