Gay Marriage vs. Polygamy

lilcountriegal

Oct 24, 2003
Pennsylvania
I wanted to toss this article out there and get some opinions on Gay Marriage vs. Polygamy.

I'm sure some of you have heard of Tom Green of Utah... the man currently in prison because of having 5 wives. He was featured on [I believe] Dateline and shortly after the story aired, was arrested and charged.

I'm against gay marriage... more of a personal choice for me. For some reason, I sympathize with Mr. Green. (However, he does have a charge of sex with a minor, one of his wives was 13 when she became pregnant... by no means do I sympathize with all aspects of his case).

I think the argument is an interesting one. Thoughts?

Tom Green's appeal

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
I wanted to toss this article out there and get some opinions on Gay Marriage vs. Polygamy.

I'm sure some of you have heard of Tom Green of Utah... the man currently in prison because of having 5 wives. He was featured on [I believe] Dateline and shortly after the story aired, was arrested and charged.

I'm against gay marriage... more of a personal choice for me. For some reason, I sympathize with Mr. Green. (However, he does have a charge of sex with a minor, one of his wives was 13 when she became pregnant... by no means do I sympathize with all aspects of his case).

I think the argument is an interesting one. Thoughts?

Tom Green's appeal
Personal feelings about the actual actions aside, I don't see how we can legislate one and not the other. Either it is acceptable, according to the Constitution, to make laws pertaining to marriage or it's not.

my thoughts on gay marriage - what do I care? it doesn't affect me in any way, shape, or form. so long as I don't have the gay or lesbian couple next door preaching to me or my kids about the vagaries of same-sex coupling then its fine with me.

my thoughts on polygamy - i don't have the energy anymore for my ONE wife, let alone what I would do if I had more. As far as mr. greene goes, well he can rot in prison for all i care. It may have been ok in the 16th century to marry someone that was 13 years old, but we have progressed, at least a little bit, and now we know better.

I agree with Moi... if polygamy is wrong, because we hold the covenant of marriage to a high standard, then we should be able to define exactly what that standard is - a man and a woman in a lifelong loving relationship.

And speaking of marriage, my wife wanted to say that "they are both wrong!"

I am against Gay marriage on moral grounds. As for Polygamy, I have been married twice and somehow seem to screw it up:rolleyes: to have 5 wives AND keep them ALL happy? But it is illegal and a big no-no. As for the 13 year old childwife that bore him a baby, that puts him right up there with MJ dont ya think?THe sad part for the tax payers is if they do jail this guy, there will be not one family unit to care for but 5, all will be on aid of some kind from the gov. And what about this 13 year old childwifes parents? should they not be had accountable for their actions or lack there of? This story is right out of the comics, I wish!

THe sad part for the tax payers is if they do jail this guy, there will be not one family unit to care for but 5, all will be on aid of some kind from the gov.

I actually watched this interview with Tom Green and his wives on Dateline when it aired. I believe he has somewhere close to 30 children by these 5 wives and there is also a welfare charge in there somewhere....

And what about this 13 year old childwifes parents? should they not be had accountable for their actions or lack there of?

I think this 13 year old's parents signed for her to be married at that age. They are of the same religion, same beliefs, etc., and saw nothing wrong with it. I believe the same man was also married to the 13 year old's older sister as well. Personally, I think its sick that a grown man can look at a 13 year old child and have any type sexual feelings, but that's just me.

As I disagree with Tom's belief's, AND the fact that he has 5 wives, I completely agree with Moi's post. If the government deems itself in the position to make decisions regarding what is acceptable behind closed doors, then what is good for one should be good for all.

New Topics

Forum List

Back