I'm Looking for a Better Smart TV

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I have a 43" Vizio TV that has one annoying flaw. When I try to pause a YouTube video, the screen darkens (a lot), and ads for other videos pop up along the bottom of the screen, partially blocking it.

I'm looking to buy a 50-55" TV, any brand, where you can pause the videos, and the screen stays bright, with no annoying pop ups or anything covering part of the screen. In advertisements, they don't seem to talk about this, but it matters to me.

Attachments

• 1651120001884.png
    1651120001884.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 23
I have a 43" Vizio TV that has one annoying flaw. When I try to pause a YouTube video, the screen darkens (a lot), and ads for other videos pop up along the bottom of the screen, partially blocking it.

I'm looking to buy a 50-55" TV, any brand, where you can pause the videos, and the screen stays bright, with no annoying pop ups or anything covering part of the screen. In advertisements, they don't seem to talk about this, but it matters to me.
I like my Sony Bravia, but it was kind of high. I have a Vizio in another room, but it hacks me off that it does not have built in browser, so what it is loaded with is what you got.

I like my Sony Bravia, but it was kind of high. I have a Vizio in another room, but it hacks me off that it does not have built in browser, so what it is loaded with is what you got.
Does it go dark when you pause the youtube videos ?

Functionally I think that LG is probably a little more smarter than some of the other brands though their sound is a little too theater like for my preferences. Not sure about what it does on youtube as we only have 1 of those and I have never tried it. I've just noticed that it is a little more out of the box ready for streaming services like Paramount+.

Does it go dark when you pause the youtube videos ?
The Sony does not. I think what you are talking about is simply a matter of programming at the factory. It has been a fined system, but I am not joined at the hip to Sony. Walking through Sam's and Best Buy, there are a lot of good looking systems out there, many with newer technology and even better picture than my Sony. You and I look for different things, as is natural. If I had read the box thoroughly on the Vizio, I might not have bought it. Before the Sony Bravia, I had a 300 lb Sony Trinitron, one of the first "smart" TVs, excellent in every way for it's day and ahead of the curve at the time. It too, had a browser and no, neither of the Sony's turned dark if you wanted to freeze to inspect an element of what you are viewing, with the old "wait, did I really see what I just saw?" or "has that vid been altered?"
I am not your best resource by any means. Only time I am on the cutting edge is when I am forced, kicking screaming to upgrade or have a failure, which doesn't happen much, as longevity and dependablity are the first things I look at. Dude, I'm using an Apple Iphone 5c because it still works well for what i use it for, but Verizon is kicking that antique off their network by December.
Good luck with your research.

The Sony does not. I think what you are talking about is simply a matter of programming at the factory. It has been a fined system, but I am not joined at the hip to Sony. Walking through Sam's and Best Buy, there are a lot of good looking systems out there, many with newer technology and even better picture than my Sony. You and I look for different things, as is natural. If I had read the box thoroughly on the Vizio, I might not have bought it. Before the Sony Bravia, I had a 300 lb Sony Trinitron, one of the first "smart" TVs, excellent in every way for it's day and ahead of the curve at the time. It too, had a browser and no, neither of the Sony's turned dark if you wanted to freeze to inspect an element of what you are viewing, with the old "wait, did I really see what I just saw?" or "has that vid been altered?"
I am not your best resource by any means. Only time I am on the cutting edge is when I am forced, kicking screaming to upgrade or have a failure, which doesn't happen much, as longevity and dependablity are the first things I look at. Dude, I'm using an Apple Iphone 5c because it still works well for what i use it for, but Verizon is kicking that antique off their network by December.
Good luck with your research.
I have a flip phone, but a do have a small tablet in addition to my laptop. Generally, I hate new technologies, and especially robo calls, voice mail, and multiple menus. I remember when we made phone calls, and somebody picked up the phone and said "Hello"

Seriously, just buy a Roku to replace your TV's woefully painful interface.
You will love a Roku.
The problem with SmartTVs is they provide a fraction of the memory needed to operate the interface.
So they are all slow, flaky and annoying.
Roku is fast and very affordable. So instead of spending $100 more to get a better interface, just keep the TV you have

Forum List

Back