I'm in over my head at work for the first time ever

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Took a major bath renovation for about 25k and though i could manage it all without subs. The size wasn't the problem, it was the damn plumbing that's killing me.

The customer switched from a standard soaker tub to replace a Jacuzzi so i plumbed the rough in and frame to support it only to have them change to an airjet tub. One I'm not familiar with. Naturally the framing i had done got in the way of almost all the newly needed plumbing. A day later it was worked out. Then came a custom walk out marble shower from HELL.
My framing for all the body sprays and diverter valves was off by 1/4 inch but i didn't catch it until after the marble was installed. I'm thinking no big deal I'll just buy 1&3/4 nipples to accomodate. WRONG... they only come in 1/2 inch increments. So i buy a die set to make my own pipes. You guessed it, I fucking bought metric instead ofdof standard like a moron. An hour later I've got the right tools but every brass pipe cracks from the pressure of removing it from the die.
Anyhow a day and a half later i got it all put together and turn on the valves to make sure i have the hot water adjusted properly and.............NO FUCKING WATER COMES OUT ANYWHERE! Just typing this is making me angry.....
Only thing i can think of is when i removed the cartridges from the diverters to sweat the pipes is that i put them back upside down? Either that or one of my cartridges was bad from the factory.

Just a very frustrating mess. On top of that I'm ptobably gonna miss Ryan school Biden tonight as i haven't even made it home yet!

Anyhow thanks for reading. Don't laugh to hard and enjoy your evening

:)

Yeah, brass is really soft. I cracked a pipe coming from a manifold once by just barely overtorquing it. A single drop of water came out and just happened to fall through a tiny hole in the ventilated floor of a cleanroom. As if those odds weren't high enough, that single drop of water landed right onto a hazardous spillage sensor and set off an alarm. A reaction team came storming up in less than 30 seconds. Amazing!

I feel your pain, Grampa. Long days. Long days...

Last edited:
Took a major bath renovation for about 25k and though i could manage it all without subs. The size wasn't the problem, it was the damn plumbing that's killing me.

The customer switched from a standard soaker tub to replace a Jacuzzi so i plumbed the rough in and frame to support it only to have them change to an airjet tub. One I'm not familiar with. Naturally the framing i had done got in the way of almost all the newly needed plumbing. A day later it was worked out. Then came a custom walk out marble shower from HELL.
My framing for all the body sprays and diverter valves was off by 1/4 inch but i didn't catch it until after the marble was installed. I'm thinking no big deal I'll just buy 1&3/4 nipples to accomodate. WRONG... they only come in 1/2 inch increments. So i buy a die set to make my own pipes. You guessed it, I fucking bought metric instead ofdof standard like a moron. An hour later I've got the right tools but every brass pipe cracks from the pressure of removing it from the die.
Anyhow a day and a half later i got it all put together and turn on the valves to make sure i have the hot water adjusted properly and.............NO FUCKING WATER COMES OUT ANYWHERE! Just typing this is making me angry.....
Only thing i can think of is when i removed the cartridges from the diverters to sweat the pipes is that i put them back upside down? Either that or one of my cartridges was bad from the factory.

Just a very frustrating mess. On top of that I'm ptobably gonna miss Ryan school Biden tonight as i haven't even made it home yet!

It's too bad your problem is not electrical, because then I could answer all your questions and get you through everything from the permit process to final inspection. I'm only an expert in two things and one of them is electrical engineering.

It's too bad your problem is not electrical, because then I could answer all your questions and get you through everything from the permit process to final inspection. I'm only an expert in two things and one of them is electrical engineering.
Cool! Wanna' help me with re-wiring my garage next summer? I could make a thread about it. :D

Least you're working, right?

Cool! Wanna' help me with re-wiring my garage next summer? I could make a thread about it. :D
No problem. I also have a degree in Electrical Engineering, and have worked on and off for 25 years for a Master Electrician.

If you don't make 8 trips to the hardware store, it ain't a plumbing job.

After we bought this place, kitchen faucet started dripping. I'm like "deal with it". That didn't fly with Mrs. H.

So here I am trying to marry new plumbing to 80 year old plumbing. It wasn't pretty but I got 'er done.

In 8 trips. :D

Forum List

Back