“I'm a Republican. What on Earth Is Wrong With My Party?”

“I am a Republican in the era of Donald Trump, and I am emotionally depleted by the constant cruelty of the President of the United States.

I’ve told myself repeatedly that I am done being shocked by a degenerate of such magnitude that I wouldn’t want to invite him to a family gathering for fear of what he might say in front of my mother.
[…]
The GOP’s journey from embracing compassionate conservatism to accepting Trump’s unparalleled capacity for casual cruelty cannot be dismissed as craven politics; it’s a threat to our security when the President taunts a nuclear-armed rogue dictator on social media.”

I'm a Republican. What on Earth Is Wrong With My Party?

The disaster that is the failed Trump presidency, that Trump is in fact unfit to be president, goes beyond partisan politics, as Republicans increasingly come to the realization that Trump has no business being president.

But as to what’s wrong with the GOP – and Trump is indeed one of many things wrong with the GOP – is a question that long predates the advent of Trump.

For more than 40 years the GOP has sustained an increase in extremists and ideologues; bigots, racists, and reactionaries hostile to the rights and protected liberties of women, gay Americans, and immigrants have found refuge among the ranks of Republicans who are unwilling to confront that bigotry and racism out of a fear of losing a political advantage.

Although it’s laudable that many Republicans have come to the realization that Trump is a reprehensible bigot and racist, and that there is something very wrong with the Republican Party, they should also come to the realization that they have only themselves to blame, where “compassionate conservatism” is in fact an oxymoron.

"Jordan is an NBC News/MSNBC political analyst and a TIME columnist"

Enough said.

One of the main problems with the Republican Party is that they have members that believe every lie democrats tell. She probably still thinks Romney doesn’t pay taxes. Some Republicans are so dumb. Democrats lie, Republican believe it so it’s all Trump fault. Drink some more kool-ade mia.

:rolleyes: one of the main problems with trumpswab apologists is that they will excuse ANYTHING trump.

List of Republicans who opposed the Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016
People are so offended by President Trumps private conversations it is amazing they stand to listen to msnbc, I hear worse language from them daily. Grow a thicker skin and you wont be looking for something to be offended by. Men talk like men and Trump qualifies, not like some girley man president riding a girls bike.

“I am a Republican in the era of Donald Trump, and I am emotionally depleted by the constant cruelty of the President of the United States.

I’ve told myself repeatedly that I am done being shocked by a degenerate of such magnitude that I wouldn’t want to invite him to a family gathering for fear of what he might say in front of my mother.
[…]
The GOP’s journey from embracing compassionate conservatism to accepting Trump’s unparalleled capacity for casual cruelty cannot be dismissed as craven politics; it’s a threat to our security when the President taunts a nuclear-armed rogue dictator on social media.”

The disaster that is the failed Trump presidency, that Trump is in fact unfit to be president, goes beyond partisan politics, as Republicans increasingly come to the realization that Trump has no business being president.

But as to what’s wrong with the GOP – and Trump is indeed one of many things wrong with the GOP – is a question that long predates the advent of Trump.

For more than 40 years the GOP has sustained an increase in extremists and ideologues; bigots, racists, and reactionaries hostile to the rights and protected liberties of women, gay Americans, and immigrants have found refuge among the ranks of Republicans who are unwilling to confront that bigotry and racism out of a fear of losing a political advantage.

Although it’s laudable that many Republicans have come to the realization that Trump is a reprehensible bigot and racist, and that there is something very wrong with the Republican Party, they should also come to the realization that they have only themselves to blame, where “compassionate conservatism” is in fact an oxymoron.

How is his Presidency a failure.....he has turned around the economy, he defeated isis,which obama said couldn't be done, he passed a massive tax cut, appointed real judges, cut regualtions that were destroying the country, got North Korea to restart talks with South Korea, he's arming Ukraine against the Russians

You really are a stupid person....you absorb whatever the left wing spews and think it is real and truthful......you have a weak mind....you need to strengthen it....
jones is a failure at posting threads.....right jones?....

Come on lefties. Do you really think MSNBC's Elise Jordan is a republican? What happened to "it's the economy, stupid"? Freaking fake republican hypocrites like Jordan enjoy 5,000 point rise in the DOW but , sniff, sniff they are offended by the word "shithole".

Suddenly the establishment is offended, yet when Obama launched a profanity laced tirade against journalists where was this outrage?

One former president called Mexicans dishonest, said blacks lived like a bunch of dogs, and that San Francisco was full of fags and decorators. And that was just one conversation.

Don't be a fag. The ant-Trump Republicans are neocons who oppose trump because he's not pro-war and anti-conservative. They opposed Trump from the very start.

Or maybe the idea that you're a Republican is a simple delusion.

:uhoh3:

national-review-trump-cover.png

National Review (NR) is an American semi-monthly conservative editorial magazine focusing on news and commentary pieces on political, social, and cultural affairs. The magazine was founded by the author William F. Buckley Jr. in 1955.[3] It is currently edited by Rich Lowry.

Since its founding, the magazine has played a significant role in the development of conservatism in the United States, helping to define its boundaries[3] and promoting fusionism while establishing itself as a leading voice on the American right.[3][4][5]

[…]

I no longer consider myself a Republican. I am a Reagan conservative. Reagan was a conservative but he was a compassionate conservative. In his "A Time for Choosing" speech, he said no one should ever be unable to see a doctor because he was unable to pay for it. Today he would be attacked for saying something like that.

What the Republican Party had become goes beyond Trump. One of the rationales behind the tax bill was getting even with blue states by capping SALT taxes.
Also Republicans left intact and created new special interest tax loopholes. Reagan worked with moderate Democrats and took time to do it right. On healthcare, Republicans wanted to pit the poor against people with pre-existing conditions against older Americans. Reagan didn't denigrate other countries. He talked about the greatness of Americans. Reagan would have supported DACA.

At 1 time conservatism was about principle. Today it is about winning and how that is accomplished does not matter. Doing the right thing no longer matters. Many of the views on immigration are not much different than Hitler's view on racial purity. Other views are based on hatred.

[…]

I no longer consider myself a Republican. I am a Reagan conservative. Reagan was a conservative but he was a compassionate conservative. In his "A Time for Choosing" speech, he said no one should ever be unable to see a doctor because he was unable to pay for it. Today he would be attacked for saying something like that.

What the Republican Party had become goes beyond Trump. One of the rationales behind the tax bill was getting even with blue states by capping SALT taxes.
Also Republicans left intact and created new special interest tax loopholes. Reagan worked with moderate Democrats and took time to do it right. On healthcare, Republicans wanted to pit the poor against people with pre-existing conditions against older Americans. Reagan didn't denigrate other countries. He talked about the greatness of Americans. Reagan would have supported DACA.

At 1 time conservatism was about principle. Today it is about winning and how that is accomplished does not matter. Doing the right thing no longer matters. Many of the views on immigration are not much different than Hitler's view on racial purity. Other views are based on hatred.

You have never been a Republican. You're a born snowflake. I doubt you were even alive when Reagan was president. The rest of your blather can be ignored for its sheer idiocy.

[…]

The problem with the Republican Party is a lot of Republican,neocons, should just switch to the democrat party. You are offended by the language Trump uses in private conversations. Do you ever say things in private conversation that you wouldn’t say around the family table? Most normal men use a more course language in private to get their point across. I love the fact Trump is not PC. It takes a great man to correct the damage obama has done to our country and Trump has the ability to do just that. Most politicians use their positions to become wealthy, just compare their wealth before they are elected to what they are worth when they retire. Trump doesn’t need to get rich, he already is rich. He is a true Patriot with making America great again his only goal. So if you don’t like the great economy and being able to be proud of our country again you should just become a democrat because tearing our country apart seems to be all they stand for.

I don't talk that way in private. I don't believe men use that language. Trump is a bully that is more interested in getting even with people than he is in governing. Don't give me this garbage that Obama did this and that. That is the excuse. Trump is dividing people more than ever. Trump is using his position to get rich. Taxpayers have to fork over money to pay for Trump's security at his resorts. A portion of this goes in his picket. The tax bill he signed had a last minute provision added that benefits Trump mightily. He is not a patriot. He is running this country into the ground. The fact is the economy was improving when Trump took office. Under Obama, the unemployment rate went from 7,8% to 5%. not that Obama had anything to do with it just as Trump had nothing to do with it but Trump can screw it up.

[…]

You have never been a Republican. You're a born snowflake. I doubt you were even alive when Reagan was president. The rest of your blather can be ignored for its sheer idiocy.

I was very proud to vote for Ronald Reagan twice you piss-ant idiot. You are the idiot since I doubt that you even understand what I said. GO HOME LITTLE BOY!!

[…]

The problem with the Republican Party is a lot of Republican,neocons, should just switch to the democrat party. You are offended by the language Trump uses in private conversations. Do you ever say things in private conversation that you wouldn’t say around the family table? Most normal men use a more course language in private to get their point across. I love the fact Trump is not PC. It takes a great man to correct the damage obama has done to our country and Trump has the ability to do just that. Most politicians use their positions to become wealthy, just compare their wealth before they are elected to what they are worth when they retire. Trump doesn’t need to get rich, he already is rich. He is a true Patriot with making America great again his only goal. So if you don’t like the great economy and being able to be proud of our country again you should just become a democrat because tearing our country apart seems to be all they stand for.

I don't talk that way in private. I don't believe men use that language. Trump is a bully that is more interested in getting even with people than he is in governing. Don't give me this garbage that Obama did this and that. That is the excuse. Trump is dividing people more than ever. Trump is using his position to get rich. Taxpayers have to fork over money to pay for Trump's security at his resorts. A portion of this goes in his picket. The tax bill he signed had a last minute provision added that benefits Trump mightily. He is not a patriot. He is running this country into the ground. The fact is the economy was improving when Trump took office. Under Obama, the unemployment rate went from 7,8% to 5%. not that Obama had anything to do with it just as Trump had nothing to do with it but Trump can screw it up.

Everything you believe is bullshit. In fact, it's worse than bullshit. It's absurd.

[…]

How is his Presidency a failure.....he has turned around the economy, he defeated isis,which obama said couldn't be done, he passed a massive tax cut, appointed real judges, cut regualtions that were destroying the country, got North Korea to restart talks with South Korea, he's arming Ukraine against the Russians

You really are a stupid person....you absorb whatever the left wing spews and think it is real and truthful......you have a weak mind....you need to strengthen it....

You are the stupid person. They wouldn't let you command a toy in a bathtub. The economy was turning around when Trump took office. The unemployment rate was 5%.The reason that ISIS is being defeated is because the Iraqi army has finally got its act together. He gave huge tax cuts to business by taking money from individuals and created new loopholes for the rich. Reagan's tax cuts were massive. The Republicans are extremists because they don't believe in any regulation. Some of Obama's regulations were unnecessary however some can be justified. Trump has had nothing to do with North Korea talking to South Korea, the Olympics have had more to do with that. Mattis and Kelly deserve the credit for arming the Ukrainians not Trump.

You believe anything Trump tells you. You are incapable of independent though and if anyone does and comes up with a different conclusion then they are Democrats, snowflakes or whatever.

[…]

Everything you believe is bullshit. In fact, it's worse than bullshit. It's absurd.

You are the one who is absurd. I can see why you like Trump. He is as stupid as you are.

[…]

Do you wet the bed every night?

[…]

If you don’t think men talk that way in private you must not have around many men. I was a meatcutter for 35yrs, worked for TSA for 5yrs, my friends are plummers, electrical engineers and workers and they all talk that way when no women are around. The reason for that is out of respect for women. Trump’s no bully. The snowflakes think that if you don’t give the progressives everything they want right now for free your a bully. Man have you got a rude awakening. The global community is the bully, wanting, America to prop up their countries with US dollars, and we need a strong leader to lead us. Our last 5 Presidents have had a global agenda that put the rest of the world before us. Trump is just the man to save our republic and put America first, even if he talks like a man in private.

Or maybe the idea that you're a Republican is a simple delusion.

:uhoh3:

national-review-trump-cover.png

National Review (NR) is an American semi-monthly conservative editorial magazine focusing on news and commentary pieces on political, social, and cultural affairs. The magazine was founded by the author William F. Buckley Jr. in 1955.[3] It is currently edited by Rich Lowry.

Since its founding, the magazine has played a significant role in the development of conservatism in the United States, helping to define its boundaries[3] and promoting fusionism while establishing itself as a leading voice on the American right.[3][4][5]

I infer you are a supporter of Fusionism and support the right wing of the Republican Party. Reading your link, and the links which they provided was informative, but not convincing that the ideology is anything which provides for liberty and happiness for all Americans. In fact the overriding theme is one of Authoritarianism.

Forum List

Back