“I'm a Republican. What on Earth Is Wrong With My Party?”

Or maybe the idea that you're a Republican is a simple delusion.

:uhoh3:

national-review-trump-cover.png

National Review (NR) is an American semi-monthly conservative editorial magazine focusing on news and commentary pieces on political, social, and cultural affairs. The magazine was founded by the author William F. Buckley Jr. in 1955.[3] It is currently edited by Rich Lowry.

Since its founding, the magazine has played a significant role in the development of conservatism in the United States, helping to define its boundaries[3] and promoting fusionism while establishing itself as a leading voice on the American right.[3][4][5]

"I am a Republican" is simply an editorial comment because it is no more or less than personal opinion.

“I am a Republican in the era of Donald Trump, and I am emotionally depleted by the constant cruelty of the President of the United States.

I’ve told myself repeatedly that I am done being shocked by a degenerate of such magnitude that I wouldn’t want to invite him to a family gathering for fear of what he might say in front of my mother.
[…]
The GOP’s journey from embracing compassionate conservatism to accepting Trump’s unparalleled capacity for casual cruelty cannot be dismissed as craven politics; it’s a threat to our security when the President taunts a nuclear-armed rogue dictator on social media.”

I'm a Republican. What on Earth Is Wrong With My Party?

The disaster that is the failed Trump presidency, that Trump is in fact unfit to be president, goes beyond partisan politics, as Republicans increasingly come to the realization that Trump has no business being president.

But as to what’s wrong with the GOP – and Trump is indeed one of many things wrong with the GOP – is a question that long predates the advent of Trump.

For more than 40 years the GOP has sustained an increase in extremists and ideologues; bigots, racists, and reactionaries hostile to the rights and protected liberties of women, gay Americans, and immigrants have found refuge among the ranks of Republicans who are unwilling to confront that bigotry and racism out of a fear of losing a political advantage.

Although it’s laudable that many Republicans have come to the realization that Trump is a reprehensible bigot and racist, and that there is something very wrong with the Republican Party, they should also come to the realization that they have only themselves to blame, where “compassionate conservatism” is in fact an oxymoron.
David Frum put it succiently, but maybe you'd not agree. The gop voters wanted healthcare, tax cuts and no more Bushes. The gop establishment proposed no healthcare, a taxcut and another Bush. Result: Trump.

And strangely, the gop does not too badly with latinos on the tax issue. But we are disenfranchising less affluent voters because we fear them.

Or maybe the idea that you're a Republican is a simple delusion.

:uhoh3:

national-review-trump-cover.png

National Review (NR) is an American semi-monthly conservative editorial magazine focusing on news and commentary pieces on political, social, and cultural affairs. The magazine was founded by the author William F. Buckley Jr. in 1955.[3] It is currently edited by Rich Lowry.

Since its founding, the magazine has played a significant role in the development of conservatism in the United States, helping to define its boundaries[3] and promoting fusionism while establishing itself as a leading voice on the American right.[3][4][5]

I infer you are a supporter of Fusionism and support the right wing of the Republican Party. Reading your link, and the links which they provided was informative, but not convincing that the ideology is anything which provides for liberty and happiness for all Americans. In fact the overriding theme is one of Authoritarianism.

no, the point of posting that stuff was in response to the notion that anyone who disapproves of trump must therefore not be a republican or conservative...

Forum List

Back