Illinois Feels The Pain

Cut spending. Reduce the amount that the taxpayers have to pay in pensions to government workers. Instead of punishing business for doing business reward them. Cut taxes. Cut, cut, cut. The problem with government is it is populated by people who are spending other peoples money so they don't respect it.

• Banned
I don't see another way, though I know the cuts will hurt. Mebbe time for the government to adjust the Medicaid plan requirements, for starters. In most states, Medcaid and corrections are the two biggest budget items.

Gov. Pat Quinn talks big-time borrowing while Illinois House mulls income tax increase options - chicagotribune.com

I can understand the impulse, but what about next year? BTW, Ohio is not in much better shape, nor are a few other states.

What should be done, IYO?

60% of out state budget goes to state worker pensions! Highway fucking robbery. Quinn is a douche bag like Blago!

Quinn took 3 maybe 4 counties in the entire state (thank you Cook county). As far as Chicago is concerned, there is no "Illinois" south of Kankakee. I'm sick and fucking tired of that city running (and ruining) this state. They'll do all they can to protect and support their cronies and the rest of us be damned.

A "debt bond"? LOL

I will agree that we're long overdue for an income tax increase but let's see some property tax relief!

What are we- the 2nd worst state in the country for businesses? Blago raided tens of millions of dollars from various funds, including IDNR. They now have no operating budget and the only place to turn is by raising fees around the state.

I see the hammer coming down even harder on businesses to shoulder the mess.

Chicago is called the Windy City because of the politicians and NOT the wind

Jeez I'm glad I moved from that state.......

Of course Illinois is feeling the pain, just look @ the national failure/embarrassment they sent to the White House.

Not to mention their last Governor, and their current one sadly looks like more of the same.

Gov. Pat Quinn talks big-time borrowing while Illinois House mulls income tax increase options - chicagotribune.com

I can understand the impulse, but what about next year? BTW, Ohio is not in much better shape, nor are a few other states.

I can tell you what should NOT be done. THe Feds should NOT bail out IL, CA or any other state that has mismanaged its affairs so much they have to file bankruptcy. But that is coming down the pike.

I can tell you what should NOT be done. THe Feds should NOT bail out IL, CA or any other state that has mismanaged its affairs so much they have to file bankruptcy. But that is coming down the pike.

I agree with you. No bail outs.:clap2:

60% of out state budget goes to state worker pensions! Highway fucking robbery. Quinn is a douche bag like Blago!

I like the way you dance, but I just have a problem with the way you want to pay the fiddlers.............:eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo:

Now a smart con would clam up, accept responsibility for his own actions and bite the tax bullet. Next time you will know better, heh?:lol:

Cut spending. Reduce the amount that the taxpayers have to pay in pensions to government workers. Instead of punishing business for doing business reward them. Cut taxes. Cut, cut, cut. The problem with government is it is populated by people who are spending other peoples money so they don't respect it.

Amen, brother

"That sounds like a lot of money to borrow, but we already owe that money," said Rep. Lou Lang, D-Skokie. "So I don't think people should get too hot and bothered to borrow the money to pay the people we owe. As long as we have a revenue stream to pay it back, it sounds like a good policy to me."
They don't. Factories are all but gone and Chicago is an arts city. It produces very very little.

The borrowing idea would require a three-fifths vote instead of a simple majority, meaning some Republicans would have to get on board. But Republicans have opposed more borrowing because they say it will only make the state's budget problems worse.

Good to see that some people understand that borrowing (getting a loan) to pay off another loan is a dumb idea.

"The state has to resolve its financial picture for the long term; it can't just be about borrowing and taxation," said Patty Schuh, spokeswoman for Senate Republican leader Christine Radogno of Lemont. "There needs to be long-range planning and significant reforms. We're hopeful that the process of discussing those things has finally begun … but we don't know how that will play out yet."
If he wasn't a (R) in Illinois, that statement could make him Gov.

Meanwhile, the state continues to spend far more than it takes in, and the budget deficit is expected to reach $15 billion by summer if nothing is done. That includes an estimated $8 billion in unpaid bills.

"The way it stands right now, the state won't have the money to finish out the budget year," said Rep. Frank Mautino, D-Spring Valley. "Some big things have to happen, and none of them will be easy."

And none of Quins ideas involve not spending. Of course this died in the blue Dimocrat will keep spending, being out of money means nothing to these assholes b/c they can always raise taxes and take from the people.

Ladies and gentlemen this is what happen when Dems dominate a state for decades. For those of us that have lived there, this isn't news, anyone that paid any attention saw this coming $10 billion ago. Here in PA the gov lost his job for just $3billion in overspending. So you have to ask yourself; Why do they keep voting these same idiots in, time and time again?

What can Illinios do? Sell Chicago to another state. Have the FBI put wire taps in every politicians work, car, home, hall ways, phones, toilets, etc.. Have an agent assigned to spy on each one. Then arrest everyone that's dirty.

Quinn took 3 maybe 4 counties in the entire state (thank you Cook county). As far as Chicago is concerned, there is no "Illinois" south of Kankakee. I'm sick and fucking tired of that city running (and ruining) this state. They'll do all they can to protect and support their cronies and the rest of us be damned.

A "debt bond"? LOL

I will agree that we're long overdue for an income tax increase but let's see some property tax relief!

What are we- the 2nd worst state in the country for businesses? Blago raided tens of millions of dollars from various funds, including IDNR. They now have no operating budget and the only place to turn is by raising fees around the state.

I see the hammer coming down even harder on businesses to shoulder the mess.

And that's being kind.

Chicago doesn't care about anything south of the burbs.

Kankakee gets some love b/c it's a small city, the land around it is nothing to the City.

These lying bastards have so little regard for the people - the damn taxpayers who foot the bills! - it's unbelievable. Quin wants a 1% tax increase but rather than call it that he plays on the voters' heart strings by instead referring to it as a "surcharge for education." But he's already double crossing them by agreeing to give half the new revenue to the drunken sailors who comprise the state legislature.

These lying bastards have so little regard for the people - the damn taxpayers who foot the bills! - it's unbelievable. Quin wants a 1% tax increase but rather than call it that he plays on the voters' heart strings by instead referring to it as a "surcharge for education." But he's already double crossing them by agreeing to give half the new revenue to the drunken sailors who comprise the state legislature.

That's the issue with the Republicans. They don't so much reject the idea of an income tax increase, but would rather see cuts in spending and more efficient use of revenues. Clean up fraud and waste, get the house in order.

Too often we've seen revenues swept into the "General Fund" and squandered.

Mark Hemingway: America's public pension crisis has tragic consequences
TAGS: Mark Hemingway
COMMENTS (1) SHARE PRINT
By: Mark Hemingway 12/26/10 8:05 PM
When the police found the body of the town's 58-year-old retired fire marshal, the lights had been turned off in his house and he had no running water. He had no money to pay his bills and he was too proud to accept help from his neighbors.
Perhaps because he was so proud, the New York Times was polite enough not to use the fire marshal's name in their account of his death.

Welcome to Pritchard, Ala., where the public employee pension checks just stopped coming. As the Times reported last week, leaders of the city on the outskirts of Mobile had known since 2004 the pension fund was scheduled to run dry last year.

The city tried to declare bankruptcy, but state law forbids the town from ducking its pension obligations and a judge wouldn't allow it. The city just stopped paying its pensions. Pritchard's 150 retired city employees are reduced to showing up at city council meetings begging for money to get through the Christmas season.

For some years now, there have been warnings that the public pension crisis would sooner or later reach critical mass. America's public pension plans are underfunded by an estimated $3.6 trillion.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Mark Hemingway: America's public pension crisis has tragic consequences | Washington Examiner

I will repost an old post of mine (with some updates) on IL

First, they JUST raised everyone property taxes to nutty levels. They are tried to raise my property tax by $1,100, when my home lost $30-$40K in value. I was able to fight it and get $300 shaved off, but that is still $800 increase when my home is close to the break even point now.

Second, they raised our sales tax to the HIGHEST in the country. The worthless Democratic Cook County President Topinka ran night and day on repealling and rolling back the sales tax. That was until she got into office. Now she says she has no date for the roll back (meaning on day one she is going against her MAIN campaign promise and not doing squat).

Third, our gas tax has been right their with CA and HI as highest in the nation.

Fourth, they want to raise licensing fees.

Now they want to raise our income tax by 50% to compete with CA as the highest in the country and they want to raise our corporate tax to drive out all the corporation in the State! Why don't these assholes get it? Why are they so fucking stupid? Cut spending and promote the corporation sector STUPID! IL is a shit hole of high taxes and corrupt politicians!

At least Blago state he would veto any income tax increase! Quinn, you douche bag communist, I never thought I would miss Blago!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/1093935-post1.html

Forum List

Back