IL Schools: Average Teacher Makes Over $100K

Discussion in 'Education' started by GHook93, Nov 14, 2011.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    $100K average salary, tiny to no contributions for the best health insurance in the state, summers off, winter and spring vacation, insane style job security and a ginormous state tax payor funded pension plan waiting for them at age 55! Is being a teacher the best job in the country? Might be.

With IL schools failing our kids, with public worker pension funds sucking up 65% of the tax dollars, it's LIBERAL INSANITY to pay these teachers like this. No merit pay and little ability to fire teachers. I mean wouldn't it be better to pay teachers less and god sake on MERIT, make them at will employees, have more TAs and tutors and have MORE teachers, than paying less teachers bloated salaries?

It's insane, but that is liberalism for you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    I've got no problem with such a figure as an average salary. Surely this must include administrators, etc.

What sucks is that very few of these people earn it or deserve it. There are way too many unqualified teachers out there and way too many teachers that are just plain BAD. And the tenure system makes it nearly impossible to get rid of them.

Double dipping on the pensions is another huge problem. One of our State Representatives is a school district supervisor and he's hardly ever there in his office for all the time he spends in Springfield.

Nationwide it's a really screwed up situation. In Illinois it's even worse.

3. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    NO, that is teachers only!

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Non-tenured, lower paid teachers. They're the ones that get screwed. And if they must be replaced, it's done with new graduates from outside the district.

It's a goddamn sideshow, Bob. A racket fraught with nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism.
    And it's a system that ruined my wife's career. I hate every one of the fuckin' crooks.

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    OK, but if you agree with that thinking, then do you agree with if they are good CEOs then they deserve EVERY PENNY THEY GET PAID!!! I bet as liberal you are well against that assertion!

6. Ame®icano

Ame®icano Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,286
    Here is an example of Illinois teacher.

Anyone noticed how many commies are hiding in our schools? Damn, they're not even hiding anymore, but coming out like a roaches as light goes out. If you watch the video clip you'll hear her saying this:

She wants more money and I understand that. What I don't understand is, if she's not happy with what she makes now or where is she now, why she doesn't open her own school?

7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    I don't necessarily have a problem with teachers making very good money----what I have a problem with is teachers making this kind of money and there is no accountability for failure.
    Whether a teacher is a complete failure or teacher of the year - they make the exact same pay with the exact same job security - in NO other industry in the world is there this kind of insanity going on.

But yes, liberals love teachers unions and refuse to acknowledge that they are a primary contributor to our embarrassing system.

8. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,710
    Exactly right. If we could elimiate the Teacher unions and have each teacher pay that dues to Best Practices Dept. (made that up, but it works), each teacher could be observed and evaluated every three years for effectiveness. Go over the behavior of the teacher in the classroom, attention to students needs, communication with parents, standardized test scores, effective discipline, modelling appropriate behavior, encouraging students and assessing and meeting their needs,etc.

The more effective, they are the higher, dramatically higher their salary and the opposite for those on the less effective mode.

Once a teacher has been identified as not effective twice, out she goes.

I'd rather see Union dues go to pay effective teachers and unions stop protecting bad teachers.

9. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    $100 K as an average salary for a school teacher in Illinois? are you serious?

10. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,710
    Why don't we make the public schools better? Charter schools hand pick the students and the teachers. They can make rules the public schools don't dare like making appropriate discipline codes and sticking to them. The can get rid of any student who doesn't conform, leaving the more undesirable students in the public, headlining their failures.

The good teachers have to stay in the public system and working with difficult students. That's where the Unions need to get out and get rid of teachers who can't teach. Stop pulling the best out of the systems.

We sometimes ignore irrational an ineffective principals who are as a great a detriment to clasroom needs as the teachers.