If you think the Media is honest and credible. . . .

Discussion in 'Media' started by Foxfyre, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,416
    . . . .then you won't enjoy this thread that I would like to dedicate to the media who is in bed with a particular candidate or political party to the extent it will distort or flat out lie or, at best, fail to fact check.

As most of the mainstream MSM tilts left, most of what I observe in their reporting favors Obama and/or the Democrats, but if evidence can be found that any legitimate mainstream media source is favoring Romney and/or the Republcians and/or any other political party or candidate, that would be fair game here.

So post your thoughts and most especially the evidence you find related to this here.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,416
    This is the story that prompted this thread:

3. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,360
    Oxymoron

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Here's a classic example of the left wing response to a challenge... on twitter, I followed a particular, left wing media hack who shall remain nameless... let's call him Thin Skinned Fucking Baby - which could give away his identity, I know.... but it's the best I can come up with.... anyway, I digress... I followed this TSFB for a while... and he tweeted a link to an article he wrote... in which he had quoted Paul Ryan... he took one sentence out of a full speech and tore it to shreds... So I asked him to explain why he felt it appropriate to remove the context in order to make a point... which I said was creating faux outrage and as such was a lie....

He blocked me.

LMAO.

5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,416
    You think? Well, I used that phrase to differentiate the mainstream media (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, cable news, etc.) from websites like Media Matters, Think Progress, Daily KOS, Newsmax, or other leftwing or rightwing sites that are deliberately and openly skewed in favor of a particular ideology.

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,416
    Here's another example. The article itself is from Mediate.com, which I normally would not use as a source, but it pulls together in an easily readable form the sequence of events that I have read or heard in the mainstream media including Fox, CNN, and WaPo:

And after being called on the carpet for 'favoritism', NBC did subsequently air the tape well behind others who had already done so.

7. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,639
    If you think the Media is honest and credible. . . .

...you've got a screw loose.

8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,416
    Though this thread is primarily focused on focusing on blatant media dishonesty, I ran across this fairly recent study on where most people are getting their news and found it very interesting. I haven't studied it thoroughly yet, but from a quick reading (subject to amendment after further review):

The study focused on people in the Midwest.

It seems that those getting their news from radio, the GOP is in the majority.

Among those getting their news from the internet, the GOP is in a very strong majority, which could explain why websites like this do seem to tilt strongly right.

Those getting their news from network television tilt strongly left or Democrat.

For cable news, Fox is the preferred source for Republicans and Democrats go for all the other cable news all of which put together cannot come up with viewership to compare with Fox.

Those getting their news from newspapers are pretty well split between the GOP and Democrats.

The alternate sources that offer some news or propaganda that cater to women or very young people tilt left and are favored by Democrats, but the voter turnout from this demographic is pretty low.

Link for the study: http://www.polisci.wisc.edu/Uploads/Documents/wisc/Midwest_Media_Patterns_Full_Report_0421.pdf

Not mentioned in the study, but observed (by me) on this message board and other interaction I've had with folks, it seems that everybody considers their own sources to be the most reliable and trustworthy and the other peoples' choices for news to be the most corrupt.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  9. bobcollum

bobcollum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,003
    FOX News jumping on that one specifically is pretty ironic.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,416
    Fox Nation is not Fox News though it is supported by their website. However, is the story wrong? Unnewsworthy? Can you provide a more acceptable source that disputes their facts?

Edit: Conversely, remember the Restore Honor rally in Washington DC last year and how hard the mainstream media, except for Fox, tried so hard to downplay the size of the crowd at that event? It has been my observation that the MSM will inflate numbers for anything supporting the left and will do their damndest to shrug off any significant support for anything on the right.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012