If you can Afford Smokes & Booze, you need to get the Fuck off of Welfare, mmmkay...

where did it come from?

your complaint was that you didn't want to be forced to pay for things like health insurance so that others could be covered and we could afford to do it.

my response was to name something that *I* did not choose to pay for or want to pay for but was forced to pay for.

Sorry Jillian.....

By no means was that what my post was saying.

I responded to someone who made a comment about how it is hypoctritical for those of us to take advantage of SS and Medicare if we are nbot for larger government..

And I simply pointed out that if we are forced to have money taken out of our paychex for those, then it is not hypoicritical...we are paying for the service...not by choice...but we are paying for it...so it is not hypocritical to use it.

Yes Medicare and SS are more like insurance policies.
although I do believe that you would need to have under a certain income to qualify for either of those benefits. The rich do not need them.

then they should not be taxed to pay for them.

Curious...

If there was no welfare, food stamps, or government assistance programs....and a parent used their money to buy alcohol and a big screen tv...and the poor child starves to death....would it be the governments fault for not having programs to ensure that child eats?

Now, lets say that parent found a way to sell their entitlements for drugs and alcohol and so, once again the child starves to death....iwho's fault is it in that case?

Finally....just curious....exactly when was the last time that you heard a child had starved to death in the US?

you do realize that we had welfare reform back in the 90's, right? no question there is some abuse, but i'm pretty sure that people don't use their welfare money to buy cadillacs. (just to carry on the racial stereotype that's been running through this thread).

As for your question? Is that the only measure of poverty as far as you're concerned? How many children die? How about asking how many children rely on the food they get at school in order NOT to starve to death; how many people have to choose between food and medication; how many people are malnourished? how many people can barely afford to eat and pay for housing and pay for clothing?

your question, while an interseting exercise is only one small piece. and i'm not really interested in looking for such an answer. i'd hope not a single child dies of starvation in this country. it would be a travesty for the richest country in the world to allow children to die for lack of food. we aren't subsaharan africa. should we be?

And that was my point Jillian.
Children do not die in America due to starvation.
With or without government programs, children wopuld not die in America due to starvation.
American people, NOT THE GOVEWRNMENT...but American people alone, with personal donations, gave more to Haiti than all other countries combined..
Americans are and have always been a giving people..

We dont need government to decide who gets what.

Mal seemed to think we do in his OP.

don't lie and mischaracterize what i said. if you don't understand my comment, i'll be happy to explain for the comprehension-impaired.

Again.. for the slow on the uptake...

cheaper to abort than to support

Yes it is cheaper to abort than support. that is a finiancial fact.

But that fact does not mean that is what she or I or the left at large supports.

It is also cheaper to wear a condom, or keep your pants on... and at the end of the day, doesn't involve infanticide for financial gain.

Last edited:
Again.. for the slow on the uptake...

cheaper to abort than to support

But that fact does not mean that is what she or I or the left at large supports.

It is also cheaper to wear a condom, or keep your pants on... and at the end of the day, doesn't involve infanticide for financial gain.

I knew that concept would be a bit difficult for you to grasp.
Study on it tonight, quiz in the morning.

Well good luck with that.

We've been wanting that fixed for at least 60 years.

If you people knew the actual fruad that went on you would weep.

One idea I have to cut medical care costs is to charge a small copay for emergency room visits. even 5-10 dollars. If they say they do not have it but get welfare, take it out fo the next check. The poor abuse the hell out of the emergency room because they can.

You know they mentioned that yesterday when they passed that 1.5Billion dollar reparation bill to black farmers who were denied loans in the 80's. They went from 18 thousand black farmers to 95 thousand black farmers in a New Yawk Minute.

I knew that concept would be a bit difficult for you to grasp.
Study on it tonight, quiz in the morning.

No need. Believe me, I get it. Read up on Roe vs. Wade.. it is all about the concept of economic impact and viability.

I agree.

On a related note, if you make use of Government programs (medicare/healthcare, unemployment assistance, etc..) you should not be allowed to preach about wanting "smaller" government.

Likewise, if you take advantage of Medicare, you should not be allowed to smoke, or eat fast food, or drink alcohol, since it is well known that these things casue medical problems that have to be covered by Government run healthcare (MediCare).

I agree.

On a related note, if you make use of Government programs (medicare/healthcare, unemployment assistance, etc..) you should not be allowed to preach about wanting "smaller" government.

Likewise, if you take advantage of Medicare, you should not be allowed to smoke, or eat fast food, or drink alcohol, since it is well known that these things casue medical problems that have to be covered by Government run healthcare (MediCare).

Likewise we should drug test all recipients of unemployment and welfare. No pass, no check.

One idea I have to cut medical care costs is to charge a small copay for emergency room visits. even 5-10 dollars. If they say they do not have it but get welfare, take it out fo the next check. The poor abuse the hell out of the emergency room because they can.

That would help, probably bring in millions, and do little to the budget of the person on it.

I agree.

Likewise we should drug test all recipients of unemployment and welfare. No pass, no check.

As well as all of those who benefit from MediCare, right?

As well as all of those who benefit from MediCare, right?

Certainly. Have at it.

Test for drugs, nicotine, and alcohol

I agree.

While that sounds like a great idea. There aren't any actual checks anymore.

People are given a card, The Access Card, that the gov puts the money on automatically.

And the work that would be involved to randomly check people would cost tons. Unless it was used to disqualify people long term to permanant.

You know they mentioned that yesterday when they passed that 1.5Billion dollar reparation bill to black farmers who were denied loans in the 80's. They went from 18 thousand black farmers to 95 thousand black farmers in a New Yawk Minute.

The money probably went to thier kids.

Why is the government [us] paying for something the banks did?

The money probably went to thier kids.

Why is the government [us] paying for something the banks did?

If I am not mistaken it was the Gov. doing the lending. Not the banks.

Forum List

Back