If We Totally Got Rid of the Minimum Wage, Where Do You Think The Bottom Wage Would Finally Wind Up?

What would the minimum hourly full time wage go to after five years of no minimum wage?

• $9

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • $8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $7

• $6

• $5

• $4

• $3

• $2

• $1

• $0, we would have a return of slavery

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You do realize that this is 2016....right? Slavery exists in Africa and other parts of the world and in various criminal activities here in the states....but empoyees are free to work or not work...right?

Do you know what an 'unpaid intern' is?

Considering I haven't seen "unpaid intern" traders shipping unpaid interns to the market for sale, any comparison to Slavery is shaky at best. Supposedly you gain "experience", however as an Engineer, my internship was a paid one, like all other Engineering internships, so I didn't have to go through that.
Slavery does not have to be imported.

Unpaid interns prove that there are people in a capitalist economy who will work for exactly ZERO but gaining something they think valuable instead. It is not a stretch to think that in an economy that reaches over 50% unemployment, that some might trade their freedom for a personal services contract that promises only similar nonwage benefits, like maybe three square meals a day and a place to sleep inside.

Slaves didn't have a choice, moron. They were property
Historically, yes some slaves did. The Janissaries, Mamelukes, and most slaves could buy their freedom after they saved their price paid for them if their master was willing. Some sold themselves into slavery, dude.

Your lack of knowledge regarding history of slavery does not make me the moron, dude.

Correct, my knowledge on a subject is not what makes you a moron. For the first time in this thread you got something right.

lol, insults and bullshit are all you got, loser.

Feel free to piss off somewhere else and not troll this thread.

I simply don't suffer fools, that's all. If you seriously believe slavery will return without a minimum wage, yes, you are a fool, and not worth my nor anyone else's time.
oh piss off, fool. You dont know what the hell you are talking about.

I am wondering because I hear so many conservatives claim that the minimum paid wage as determined by the market place would never go to zero.

I ask these guys if they ever heard of SLAVERY?

I have as yet not heard an answer to my question.

So if we got rid of a legal requirement for a minimum wage,what would be the lowest full time hourly wage found in the USA after five years?

I see you don't have a clue about economics.

Support your insult or just go away.

Why do you low information economists make all these unsupported claims and then pretend to know more than everyone else?

It is hilarious when those who defend the out-going paradigm chime in and tell the people who are promoting the new paradigm that they just dont understand the subject.

It is a natural occurence like foam on a wave when the wind picks up.

You do realize that this is 2016....right? Slavery exists in Africa and other parts of the world and in various criminal activities here in the states....but empoyees are free to work or not work...right?

Considering I haven't seen "unpaid intern" traders shipping unpaid interns to the market for sale, any comparison to Slavery is shaky at best. Supposedly you gain "experience", however as an Engineer, my internship was a paid one, like all other Engineering internships, so I didn't have to go through that.

Unpaid interns prove that there are people in a capitalist economy who will work for exactly ZERO but gaining something they think valuable instead. It is not a stretch to think that in an economy that reaches over 50% unemployment, that some might trade their freedom for a personal services contract that promises only similar nonwage benefits, like maybe three square meals a day and a place to sleep inside.

It would be a possibility if not prevented via legislation.

To me the concept of a minimum wage isn't necessarily wrong, the problem comes when people try to make the minimum wage a livable wage. At that point you create the condition where the labor added has less value than the wage you set.

Yes....someone trading work for knowledge and experience.

OK, now can you see people possibly signing a contract that has them trading their labor for merely food and shelter? It has happened before.

They are not trading their freedom...they can leave the internship anytime they want...actual slaves can't.

I am wondering because I hear so many conservatives claim that the minimum paid wage as determined by the market place would never go to zero.

So if we got rid of a legal requirement for a minimum wage,what would be the lowest full time hourly wage found in the USA after five years?

The USA, and every other country, outsources slavery to China. You and most all democrats don't have any problems with that. As long as you get your cheap iPhones. Trump is the only candidate to ever talk about putting tariffs on China in order to bring back jobs and stop supporting third world virtual slavery.
As for our minimum wage, I think it's important to factor in whether or not an employee also receives any other benefits.

IT is hilarious when those who defend the out-going paradigm chime in and tell the peole who are promoting the new paradigm that they just dont understand the subject.

It is a natural occurance lik

Yes....someone trading work for knowledge and experience.

OK, now can you see people possibly signing a contract that has them trading their labor for merely food and shelter? It has happened before.

No. Not in a free society based on free markets.......

In the states bordering Mexico, it would end up being very low.

Go to almost any Home Depot or Lowe's parking lot early in the morning and you can hire an illegal Mexican or a crew of them who will work all day for 35 bucks each. And I'm talking hard physical labor. No benefits. No Medical. No SS or IT withholding. No OSHA standards to worry about. No union hassles about working conditions.

All a min wage does is increase the demand for this sort of under the table labor pool and decrease the number of legitimate jobs for U.S. citizens.

daylaborers.jpg

No. Not in a free society based on free markets.......
Why cant people freely sign a contract to give away their labor for room and board in a free market?
Some people that currently earn more than the minimum wage spend practically all their wages on food and shelter.

If Hue Heffner let me live at the Playboy Manson, eat all the food I want, and be able to mingle with the bunnies in exchange for working 40 hours a week, I don't think that would be a bad deal. At least not for a year or two.

I posted zero. Too many folks believe slavery cannot be economic.

If one is in a job with no future, poor pay and no benefits, and faced with providing shelter, food, clothing, transportation and health insurance for themselves, let along with others who may be dependent on them, how can we truly consider them free?

Forum List

Back