If we rule out life elsewhere in our Solar System, why not seed it ourselves?

Super interesting. And it is probably not possible to truly rule out the existence of life on any planet. But let's pretend we have.

Super interesting. And it is probably not possible to truly rule out the existence of life on any planet. But let's pretend we have.
It's also so that we don't confuse ourselves into thinking life evolved there when it didn't.

But pretending that we don't care, the shotgun approach is not good science. If one were to want to play God then at least he ought to have a well thought out reason as to what he was trying to accomplish and why.

It's also so that we don't confuse ourselves into thinking life evolved there when it didn't.
Yep

"Playing god"

I am not talking about parting seas or raising people from the dead. Just seeding planets with life. ;)

Yep

"Playing god"

I am not talking about parting seas or raising people from the dead. Just seeding planets with life. ;)
For what purpose?
That's what you are being asked to imagine.
Not really. The question that's being asked is why not do it? Not... why do it?

Yep

"Playing god"

For what purpose?
Well now you are being asked.

Yep

"Playing god"

For what purpose?
Well now you are being asked.
To create a habitable planet for earthlings. Unfortunately, that’s not likely to happen in this solar system. There are just too many requirements and no suitable candidates.

It’s not easy playing God. :lol:

Why not seed Europa's oceans with micro-organisms? Why not seed the ice caps of Mars with life? Why not seed the methane oceans of Titan with life?

What is the worst that could happen? Maybe we can even engineer the life we seed on each body in order to benefit ourselves. For example, we genetically engineer bacteria for Mars seeding that converts carbon dioxide to oxygen, leaving hydrocarbon waste for us to use to make energy.
Then God is proven

See I knew you would see it my way

Why not seed Europa's oceans with micro-organisms? Why not seed the ice caps of Mars with life? Why not seed the methane oceans of Titan with life?

What is the worst that could happen? Maybe we can even engineer the life we seed on each body in order to benefit ourselves. For example, we genetically engineer bacteria for Mars seeding that converts carbon dioxide to oxygen, leaving hydrocarbon waste for us to use to make energy.
We can't even take care of our own planet. What makes you think humans are responsible enough to "Green House" other orbiting planetoids in our solar system to benefit ourselves?
If we leave a few SUVs running 24/7 on the Moon, the GHG buildup will create a runaway warming trend and make it like Florida in a few short years
Seriously ? You need a strong gravitational force to hold an atmosphere. Where’s the 02 to support combustion of all those SUVs

Then God is proven

God is proven ? Which one ?

Then God is proven

God is proven ? Which one ?
The one who created life on earth, this is proven the moment we do the same elsewhere

We can't even take care of our own planet. What makes you think humans are responsible enough to "Green House" other orbiting planetoids in our solar system to benefit ourselves?
If we leave a few SUVs running 24/7 on the Moon, the GHG buildup will create a runaway warming trend and make it like Florida in a few short years
Seriously ? You need a strong gravitational force to hold an atmosphere. Where’s the 02 to support combustion of all those SUVs
No, what is needed are rumps the size of mobile homes with built in flatulent resistant lift off. I think you guys fit the playbill for this. Carry on.

You know this how?
It's assumed. Totally safe assumption. If I am wrong, oh well. Just as I might be wrong that I will fall downward, when I jump off of my roof. Maybe I will fall up. I am not going to prepare for that, though.

I think the obvious target would be Venus. Superheated so most likely sterile. Drop in some self-replicating, bacteria or plants that could float in the thick atmosphere and convert the CO2 to a solid that drops to the surface. Once the CO2 is gone the planet cools.
Could this super bacteria be used to kill covid as I'm a bit nervous about disinfectant!
Relax. If we keep putting CO2 into our atmosphere we could get a runaway greenhouse effect like the one on Venus. That will kill all the covid.
Was Covid killed on Venus? Are you QANON?

Plant are much more resistant to radiation that animals. Some plants are virtually immune to it.
Crucially, the burden brought by radiation at Chernobyl is less severe than the benefits reaped from humans leaving the area. Now essentially one of Europe’s largest nature preserves, the ecosystem around the wrecked power plant supports more life than before, even if each individual cycle of that life lasts a little less.

In a way, the Chernobyl disaster reveals the true extent of our environmental impact on the planet. Harmful as it was, the nuclear accident was far less destructive to the local ecosystem than we were. In driving ourselves away from the area, we have created space for nature to return.
Post a study and link for that, please.

Forum List

Back