If the Voter ID Laws are not politically motivated, then why are they aimed...

In today's smokescreen political world of words, anything can mean anything. I have been voting since the sixties and have never had to provide an ID of any sort. Once registered your name is listed and you sign in, so I am missing the whys of the republican's concern? And obviously it is only the republicans who suddenly feel this great need. Without question political.

I'm not a republican (or a democrat). I fully support you and I having to show a picture ID as well as a Voter Registration Card whenever you cast a ballot.

It's not political at all. Its a matter of making the voting process as pure as possible.

If you require all to present an ID and a card, it can't be racist. I think, however, any picture ID required for voting should have a free option otherwise it's a poll tax of sorts.

I'm totally in favor of making anyone cast a ballot present a picture ID and a VRC valid for that precinct, district, state, etc...

But if you make it free, and it does cost SOMETHING to make those things, then it just becomes welfare at the tax payer expense. No, you have to charge something to cover the cost.

Negative.

It's a picture ID that can be used to cast a ballot. There is no "welfare" involved. The government prints tax forms every year; nobody ever gets charged for them--do you call that welfare? Should the government be able to charge you for a form they require you to fill out?

I'm not talking about making driver's licenses free but a picture ID for a voter registration card? You bet.

This is not a "form." It's a photo in a plastic sleeve. It does cost money to do. And Ohio is not the federal government. Those forms still cost money. Whether taxes pay for it, or the citizen, nothing is free in this world.

In today's smokescreen political world of words, anything can mean anything. I have been voting since the sixties and have never had to provide an ID of any sort. Once registered your name is listed and you sign in, so I am missing the whys of the republican's concern? And obviously it is only the republicans who suddenly feel this great need. Without question political.

Why do you think that is?

You think maybe all of the evidence of Democrat hijinks like Acorn had something to do with it?

... at the general election? Why didn't these laws take effect during the Primary?

By now you all should know that voter fraud is incredibly rare. Obviously, these laws were intended to hinder certain Obama supporters.

Poor pathetic Billy, you missed the perfect opportunity to rant about a WWII vet being denied the right to vote in the primary because his Veteran's ID didn't show his home address.

... at the general election? Why didn't these laws take effect during the Republican Primary?

By now you all should know that voter fraud is incredibly rare. Obviously, these laws were intended to hinder certain Obama supporters.

How do you know if voter fraud is incredibly rare if no one ever has to prove they are legally eligible to vote?

And how does asking a person to prove they are legally eligible to vote hinder anyone's rights?

But if you make it free, and it does cost SOMETHING to make those things, then it just becomes welfare at the tax payer expense. No, you have to charge something to cover the cost.

Negative.

It's a picture ID that can be used to cast a ballot. There is no "welfare" involved. The government prints tax forms every year; nobody ever gets charged for them--do you call that welfare? Should the government be able to charge you for a form they require you to fill out?

I'm not talking about making driver's licenses free but a picture ID for a voter registration card? You bet.

This is not a "form." It's a photo in a plastic sleeve. It does cost money to do. And Ohio is not the federal government. Those forms still cost money. Whether taxes pay for it, or the citizen, nothing is free in this world.

Yes, the citizens of the country have to pay for democracy. It's a bitch, I know but government does cost money.

Your point is that everything has a price. Printing forms has a price too. So either you are sponsoring paying the IRS for your tax form or you're a welfare whore according to your definition.

Your choice.

... at the general election? Why didn't these laws take effect during the Republican Primary?

How do you know if voter fraud is incredibly rare if no one ever has to prove they are legally eligible to vote?

And how does asking a person to prove they are legally eligible to vote hinder anyone's rights?

Well, all indications are that it is incredibly rare. But there are caveats to those indicators:

First, the indicators are faulty since you're trying to measure something that is illegal.

Secondly, the indicators are from major elections such as state or federal.
Most local elections are not as thoroughly examined as the federal elections are so the election of county commissioners isn't going to be as closely watched as the election of US Senators. So on the Federal level where you have millions of votes, fraud (there is also unintended "fraud" of persons who are not registered being able to vote or voting in the wrong precinct etc...) is more prevalent because turn out is greater.

Additionally, when there are millions of votes being cast for federal level offices, there is less likelihood that a few dozen/hundred fraudulent votes will swing the election one way or the other. I'll grant that. However, most elections are not on the federal level. State representatives may get only tens of thousands of votes. City councilmen and women may get thousands or hundreds. A few dozen votes may swing these. State reps often times write re-districting lines for US congressmen and women which will effect the supposedly "big" issues of federal matters.

If you can make the process pure; make it pure. If you don't care about purity, just stop registering people to vote all together. Forcing registration to cast a ballot then ignoring registration when ballots are cast makes no sense whatsoever.

winner.jpg

Forum List

Back