If the President Can Change Some Laws, Can He Change all Laws?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
A question that received a roar of approval from our otherwise dull and boring House of Representatives. And the article doesn't say who gave him the unusual ovation.

It is, however, a very good question and here's the video of it @ [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eT8o-s16M_s]Rep Trey Gowdy's Defense of the ENFORCE the Law Act - YouTube[/ame]

Here's part of it”

“What are we to do when this president, or any president decides to selectively enforce a portion of the law and ignore other portions of that law?
What are we to do Mr. Speaker, regardless of motivation, when a president nullifies our vote by failing to faithfully execute the law?
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Read more @ EPIC: What Question Asked by Rep. Trey Gowdy Resulted in Thunderous Applause on the House Floor?

tell me what you know about the Bush signing statements?

I don't remember you being mad about them

SEC Votes for Final Rules Defining How Banks Can Be Securities Brokers

Eight Years After Passage of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Key Provisions Will Now Be Implemented

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2007-190

Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2007 - Ending eight years of stalled negotiations and impasse, the Commission today voted to adopt, jointly with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board), new rules that will finally implement the bank broker provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999. The Board will consider these final rules at its Sept. 24, 2007 meeting. The Commission and the Board consulted with and sought the concurrence of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and Office of Thrift Supervision.

Bush and team held back the broker rules in GLBact for 8 years while brokers were allowed to sell CRAP as triple A securities.

didn't make you mad

tell me what you know about the Bush signing statements?

I don't remember you being mad about them

Bush should have vetoed the whole damn bill, and yes I was mad about it then, so mad in fact that I changed my voter registration from Republican to NPA, (No Party Affiliation)

Obama has taken it to a whole new level! He makes Bush good!

truthmatters, I'm so tired of pointing out your stupidity and outright lies..................

The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is what caused the bubble that burst in 2008. Read this, or better yet get your Mother to read it to you:

Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
Great Seal of the United States.
Other short title(s)
Federal Home Loan Bank System Modernization Act of 1999
Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999
Prime Act
Program for Investment in Microentrepreneurs Act of 1999
Long title An Act to enhance competition in the financial services industry by providing a prudential framework for the affiliation of banks, securities firms, and other financial service providers, and for other purposes.
Nickname(s) ATM Fee Reform Act of 1999
Enacted by the 106th United States Congress
Effective November 12, 1999
Citations
Public Law 106–102
Stat. 113 Stat. 1338
Codification
Act(s) repealed Glass–Steagall Act
Title(s) amended
12 U.S.C.: Banks and Banking
15 U.S.C.: Commerce and Trade
U.S.C. sections created 12 U.S.C. § 24a, § 248b, § 1831v, § 1831w, § 1831x, § 1831y, § 1848a, § 2908
15 U.S.C. § 80b-10a
U.S.C. section(s) amended 12 U.S.C. § 78, § 377
15 U.S.C. § 80
Legislative history
Introduced in the Senate as S. 900 by Phil Gramm (R-TX) on April 28, 1999
Committee consideration by: Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Passed the Senate on May 6, 1999 (54-44)
Passed the House as the Financial Services Act of 1999 on July 30, 1999 (241-132)
Reported by the joint conference committee on November 2, 1999; agreed to by the Senate on November 4, 1999 (90-8) and by the House on November 4, 1999 (362-57)
Signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999
v t e

Sen. Phil Gramm (R, Texas), Rep. Jim Leach (R, Iowa), and Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R, Virginia), the co-sponsors of the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.
The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (GLB), also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999, (Pub.L. 106–102, 113 Stat. 1338, enacted November 12, 1999) is an act of the 106th United States Congress (1999–2001). It repealed part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933, removing barriers in the market among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies that prohibited any one institution from acting as any combination of an investment bank, a commercial bank, and an insurance company. With the passage of the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, commercial banks, investment banks, securities firms, and insurance companies were allowed to consolidate. Furthermore, it failed to give to the SEC or any other financial regulatory agency the authority to regulate large investment bank holding companies.[1] ”The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton.
A year before the law was passed, Citicorp, a commercial bank holding company, merged with the insurance company Travelers Group in 1998 to form the conglomerate Citigroup, a corporation combining banking, securities and insurance services under a house of brands that included Citibank, Smith Barney, Primerica, and Travelers. Because this merger was a violation of the Glass–Steagall Act and the Bank Holding Company Act of 1956, the Federal Reserve gave Citigroup a temporary waiver in September 1998.[2] Less than a year later, GLB was passed to legalize these types of mergers on a permanent basis. The law also repealed Glass–Steagall's conflict of interest prohibitions "against simultaneous service by any officer, director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director, or employee of any member bank".[......

Bush fought against this bill and warned that it would do exactly what it did. It blew my mind when he dropped his opposition. Many of his own Party members in Congress were supporting this monstrosity of a Bill.
It seems like he gave up and just signed everything that hit his desk after that and that's when I abandoned the Republican Party and settled in this position: "I may or may not vote Republican, but I'll never, ever vote Democrat".

A question that received a roar of approval from our otherwise dull and boring House of Representatives. And the article doesn't say who gave him the unusual ovation.

It is, however, a very good question and here's the video of it @ Rep Trey Gowdy's Defense of the ENFORCE the Law Act - YouTube

Here's part of it”

“What are we to do when this president, or any president decides to selectively enforce a portion of the law and ignore other portions of that law?
What are we to do Mr. Speaker, regardless of motivation, when a president nullifies our vote by failing to faithfully execute the law?

Read more @ EPIC: What Question Asked by Rep. Trey Gowdy Resulted in Thunderous Applause on the House Floor?

He's absolutely right. ...Time to dissolve the redundant Congress and give Presidents complete control so they're no longer in conflict. Nobody likes Congress anyway. Lice scored higher in approval ratings recently.

It is, however, a very good question and here's the video of it @ Rep Trey Gowdy's Defense of the ENFORCE the Law Act - YouTube

Here's part of it”

Well....

One who gets it. Only 434 to go!

I've said it time an again. If our leaders ignore the rule of law, then no law is safe and our society, as the song says, is built upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand.

Every American should demand that the President enforce EVERY law passed that has not been deemed unconstitutional.

Perhaps then we'd get a government that actually gave thought to the reasons and foundation for any law; other than the one that gets them elected.

Here's part of it”

Hear! Hear!:clap2:

Obama can do whatever the fuck he feels like doing!
The media doesn't go after him on anything he does.
The right will but then be called a racist for it.

So Obama does anything he wants.

Now that he's President Obama anyway.
When he was Senator Obama running for President he felt one way about stuff.
After being elected he feels the other way.

truthmatters, I'm so tired of pointing out your stupidity and outright lies..................

The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act is what caused the bubble that burst in 2008. Read this, or better yet get your Mother to read it to you:

Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
Great Seal of the United States.
Other short title(s)
Federal Home Loan Bank System Modernization Act of 1999
Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999
Prime Act
Program for Investment in Microentrepreneurs Act of 1999
Long title An Act to enhance competition in the financial services industry by providing a prudential framework for the affiliation of banks, securities firms, and other financial service providers, and for other purposes.
Nickname(s) ATM Fee Reform Act of 1999
Enacted by the 106th United States Congress
Effective November 12, 1999
Citations
Public Law 106–102
Stat. 113 Stat. 1338
Codification
Act(s) repealed Glass–Steagall Act
Title(s) amended
12 U.S.C.: Banks and Banking
15 U.S.C.: Commerce and Trade
U.S.C. sections created 12 U.S.C. § 24a, § 248b, § 1831v, § 1831w, § 1831x, § 1831y, § 1848a, § 2908
15 U.S.C. § 80b-10a
U.S.C. section(s) amended 12 U.S.C. § 78, § 377
15 U.S.C. § 80
Legislative history
Introduced in the Senate as S. 900 by Phil Gramm (R-TX) on April 28, 1999
Committee consideration by: Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Passed the Senate on May 6, 1999 (54-44)
Passed the House as the Financial Services Act of 1999 on July 30, 1999 (241-132)
Reported by the joint conference committee on November 2, 1999; agreed to by the Senate on November 4, 1999 (90-8) and by the House on November 4, 1999 (362-57)
Signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999
v t e

Sen. Phil Gramm (R, Texas), Rep. Jim Leach (R, Iowa), and Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. (R, Virginia), the co-sponsors of the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.
The Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (GLB), also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999, (Pub.L. 106–102, 113 Stat. 1338, enacted November 12, 1999) is an act of the 106th United States Congress (1999–2001). It repealed part of the Glass–Steagall Act of 1933, removing barriers in the market among banking companies, securities companies and insurance companies that prohibited any one institution from acting as any combination of an investment bank, a commercial bank, and an insurance company. With the passage of the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, commercial banks, investment banks, securities firms, and insurance companies were allowed to consolidate. Furthermore, it failed to give to the SEC or any other financial regulatory agency the authority to regulate large investment bank holding companies.[1] ”The legislation was signed into law by President Bill Clinton.
A year before the law was passed, Citicorp, a commercial bank holding company, merged with the insurance company Travelers Group in 1998 to form the conglomerate Citigroup, a corporation combining banking, securities and insurance services under a house of brands that included Citibank, Smith Barney, Primerica, and Travelers. Because this merger was a violation of the Glass–Steagall Act and the Bank Holding Company Act of 1956, the Federal Reserve gave Citigroup a temporary waiver in September 1998.[2] Less than a year later, GLB was passed to legalize these types of mergers on a permanent basis. The law also repealed Glass–Steagall's conflict of interest prohibitions "against simultaneous service by any officer, director, or employee of a securities firm as an officer, director, or employee of any member bank".[......

Bush fought against this bill and warned that it would do exactly what it did. It blew my mind when he dropped his opposition. Many of his own Party members in Congress were supporting this monstrosity of a Bill.
It seems like he gave up and just signed everything that hit his desk after that and that's when I abandoned the Republican Party and settled in this position: "I may or may not vote Republican, but I'll never, ever vote Democrat".

Which party controlled the presidency, the Senate, and the House in 1998, 1999, 2000?

Last edited:
If you arrange all the words of all the laws federal, state and local end-to-end, they would stretch from here to the moon. That's why they don't enforce jaywalking unless you walk right in front of a squad car.

Forum List

Back