If the economy slides, how much blame would fall on a Democrat house?

TheDude

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2016
U.S.A. gone wild
Some history most don't recognize. I guess "they" (media and voters) figure the POTUS controls everything (i.e. simpletons).

During Clinton's best economic years, the Republicans had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Bush's best economic years, the Republicans had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Bush's worst economic years, the Democrats had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Obama's worst economic years, the Democrats had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Obama's best economic years, the Democrats initially had the majority in the Senate, but the Republicans had taken the House. Matter of fact, we didn't experience any economic improvement until after the Reps. took the House......The economy then showed much improvement after the Republicans took the Senate majority as well.

Under Trump the Republicans had the majority in the House and Senate, and the economy was outstanding.

Interesting right? But of course the Democrats won the majority in the House, just because. So, if the economy is to enter a recession, would a Democrat house be the cause or part?

Some history most don't recognize. I guess "they" (media and voters) figure the POTUS controls everything (i.e. simpletons).

During Clinton's best economic years, the Republicans had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Bush's best economic years, the Republicans had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Bush's worst economic years, the Democrats had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Obama's worst economic years, the Democrats had the majority in the Senate and House.

During Obama's best economic years, the Democrats initially had the majority in the Senate, but the Republicans had taken the House. Matter of fact, we didn't experience any economic improvement until after the Reps. took the House......The economy then showed much improvement after the Republicans took the Senate majority as well.

Under Trump the Republicans had the majority in the House and Senate, and the economy was outstanding.

Interesting right? But of course the Democrats won the majority in the House, just because. So, if the economy is to enter a recession, would a Democrat house be the cause or part?
/——/ democRATs will own the crash 100%

It's um, way too late for that. The House doesn't get sworn in until next year.

Do you mean if the economy continues to slide?

All good points, although we've known for years that Democrats don't take responsibility for anything.

You have to look at policies.

Clinton had a good plan for the economy, raise taxes on the wealthy, cut government spending, and try to put more money into the middle class- this is a recipe for economic success.

That same republican Congress then turned Clinton's budget surplus into a massive deficit and the Bush tax cut did little to benefit growth (economists have proven this) and then when the economy crashed we were much worse off with even bigger deficits. The policies of Bush and the republican Congress set the economy up for disaster.

If you are trying to blame Bush's great recession on the democrats taking the house then you are insane. Show us what policies the House enacted in 2006 that caused a recession 7 years into Bush's term?

Now look at what Trump and the GOP have done. They have passed Trillions of dollars in new debt 8+ years into an economic expansion. This is unprecedented and will lead to economic ruin regardless of who is in charge. We have a front loaded tax cut that will then become a tax increase in a couple years along with massive deficits. This is a recipe for disaster and the fact that you can't see this shows that you need to learn more about economic policy

At the end of the day the president has veto power and that gives him control over pretty much everything unless the congress can override his veto, which they usually can't. Clinton used veto power to achieve balanced budgets, remember.

It's um, way too late for that. The House doesn't get sworn in until next year.

Do you mean if the economy continues to slide?

Inconvenient facts:
united-states-gdp-growth.png

At the end of the day the president has veto power and that gives him control over pretty much everything unless the congress can override his veto, which they usually can't. Clinton used veto power to achieve balanced budgets, remember.

The budgets were never balanced you silly sally, they cooked the books. They haven't been balanced since Nixon.

So, if the Dems control one part of the 3 (House, Senate and POTUS) they will be responsible and not the party that holds the other two and the one with the most power?

How often do you have to get your wool shorn?

During Reagan's best years the democrats had control of the House, so according to you his Success was due to that?

So, if the Dems control one part of the 3 (House, Senate and POTUS) they will be responsible and not the party that holds the other two and the one with the most power?

Plus, don't forget, it's the Dems' fault that the real estate market hit a wall months before the election, a huge red flag for investors.

:laugh:

Who do you blame for the 1.27 trillion added to the national debt during FY18?

Plus, don't forget, it's the Dems' fault that the real estate market hit a wall months before the election, a huge red flag for investors.

:laugh:

It also seems to be the Dems fault that the market has been pretty much dead in the water since late Jan when Trump started adding tariffs to imports.

Clinton had a good plan for the economy, raise taxes on the wealthy, cut government spending, and try to put more money into the middle class- this is a recipe for economic success.

That same republican Congress then turned Clinton's budget surplus into a massive deficit and the Bush tax cut did little to benefit growth (economists have proven this) and then when the economy crashed we were much worse off with even bigger deficits. The policies of Bush and the republican Congress set the economy up for disaster.

If you are trying to blame Bush's great recession on the democrats taking the house then you are insane. Show us what policies the House enacted in 2006 that caused a recession 7 years into Bush's term?

Now look at what Trump and the GOP have done. They have passed Trillions of dollars in new debt 8+ years into an economic expansion. This is unprecedented and will lead to economic ruin regardless of who is in charge. We have a front loaded tax cut that will then become a tax increase in a couple years along with massive deficits. This is a recipe for disaster and the fact that you can't see this shows that you need to learn more about economic policy

Not quite right. Our economy allowed for taxes on the rich because of a booming economy, Reaganomics and the tech. explosion. Clinton never had a balanced budget, they cooked the books.

I'm not trying to do anything less showing who had power. Of course Bush is to blame for the crash (cough!), it's a simpleton's (Democrats) approach.

During Reagan's best years the democrats had control of the House, so according to you his Success was due to that?

I would say that yes, they absolutely were partially responsible. But that's the Democrat party of old, who were concerned with stupid shit like the economy and homeland security. Today's Democrat is concerned with raising racial awareness, toxic masculinity, white people suck, LGBQT etc., and open immigration.

Not quite right. Our economy allowed for taxes on the rich because of a booming economy, Reaganomics and the tech. explosion. Clinton never had a balanced budget, they cooked the books.

I'm not trying to do anything less showing who had power. Of course Bush is to blame for the crash (cough!), it's a simpleton's (Democrats) approach.
When Clinton raised taxes on the rich the economy was not good. He did it to try and balance the budget.

When the crash happens 7 years into your presidency you hold the bulk of the blame yes.

Other facts the bills that de-regulated the banks and derivatives markets were GOP written, GOP sponsored, and passed by a veto proof GOP majority. So would you then give that responsibility to them? You pretty much have to.

Most businesses fear Dems in power of either chamber, particularly since the Obama years.

Businesses are the ones that supply cash to the economy.

It depends.

For crazed partisan ideologues, everything bad is the other party's fault, no matter what, 100%, period, always.

For a majority of Americans, people who aren't intellectually paralyzed by an ideology, any blame would be spread appropriately.

When it comes to spending, it's the House that creates that. When it comes to policies, it's the President. When it comes to approval, elimination or alterations of a bill, it's the Senate.

Depending on what subject you're talking about, put the blame where it rightfully belongs. Spending, policies, taxation or killing of bills?

Forum List

Back