If Ron Paul wins Iowa--will Iowa lose it's credibility and it's 1st place status?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oreo, Dec 27, 2011.

?

Will Iowa lose it's credibility if Ron Paul wins?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  1. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Ron Paul is still leading in Iowa--but some of the talking heads are stating that if he actually comes in 1st place in Iowa--Iowa will lose it's credibility--and there will be others calling for Iowa to to lose their 1st place status in the primaries-- because of it.

Your opinions on this issue?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,779
    I think like in the general election the nominees should be decided on the same day. It seems completely backwards to me for a handful of states to hold so much power.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Teals_Of_Wonder

Teals_Of_Wonder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Iowa shouldn't allow Registered Democrats to vote in a Republican Primary. I'ts pointless. Let's just hope and pray anyone but Paul wins. If Romney wins, we know it's gonna be 2 and 0 come New Hampshire.

4. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    No.

Huckabee won Iowa.

Bachman won Ames.

It has virtually no predictive value for the election.

The only way it could benefit Paul (outside the votes) is that it might make the media start to pay attention to him and give him a bump in public opinion.

5. Oscar Wao

Oscar Wao Victory is Mine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The winners of the 1996 and 2000 Iowa caucuses went on to become the GOP nominees.

I wouldn't totally discredit Iowa. The only reason Huckabee didn't become the nominee was because of the John McCain "Comeback Kid" momentum.

Besides, I'm sure you guys wouldn't be asking the same question if Mitt or Newt was poised to be the Iowa winner. This is just an attempt to spit in the face of the voters and their will...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  6. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

What's laughable is Iowa--doesn't even use a ballot. You go to someone's house stand in your preferred candidates corner for hours--and that's how they designate a winner--:badgrin:

7. Teals_Of_Wonder

Teals_Of_Wonder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    My 6th sense tells me its gonna be Romney/Paul/Gingrich/Perry, but all within 2% of one another. And there doesn't seem to be any massive blizzards coming in the direction of Iowa.

8. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,151
    Ron Paul is the only one running that's worth voting for as far as I'm concern. 10 years of worthless war and nation building for what? This is a man that will get us out of stupid policy and work to right our nation once again with taking care of the debt and the fed. Him telling the truth about the crime stats, ect shows that he is a honest man., We do need to work on that issue as a nation. No longer can we have a victim class of people in this country that expects to be treated differently! It is not equal to do such.

Ron Paul 2012! A man of courage!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  9. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Many, though not all, see Paul as unelectable. However, the same was true of Huckabee, and his Iowa win hardly ended the importance of the caucuses. If someone like Bachmann wins Iowa, I expect it will be much as it was in 2008.

However, Paul might actually be *strong* enough that if he wins Iowa it could damage Iowa's prestige. A Paul win in Iowa could start a long and battering primary season that saddles the GOP with a weakened nominee. If so, Iowa could be seen not as irrelevant but as dangerous. If that were the case Iowa might be weakened, perhaps by pushing more primaries much closer to the caucuses, as was done with South Caroline and Nevada earlier. This would be complicated by the fact that Democrats probably wouldn't be as motivated to change the schedule, and most states try to keep the Democratic and GOP primaries on the same night.

Also, a point of clarification: Iowa caucuses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Iowa doesn't allow Democrats to caucus for Republicans, it just allows people to switch their party identification the same night. So it would be newly-minted Republicans, not registered Democrats, caucusing with Republicans. I'm sure though that many of them do still consider themselves Democrats (and Republicans, when the reverse occurs).

10. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Too sick for a cure

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +772
    This.

The primary system for the two major parties is so fucked up it's not even funny. It's just childish.