If more guns makes a country safer

In modern times, you don't see many democrats carrying the confederate flag.
Nowadays, it's poorly educated red state GOP nutters who carry that banner. Try to keep up.
Why do you hate black people?

photos.medleyphoto.7816359.jpg
Why do you think a black person cannot be a poorly educated red state GOP nutter?
Predictably, you avoided my question.
Try again.
No. If you have to resort to false equivalence, you already lost.

In modern times, you don't see many democrats carrying the confederate flag.
Nowadays, it's poorly educated red state GOP nutters who carry that banner. Try to keep up.
Why do you hate black people?

photos.medleyphoto.7816359.jpg
Why do you think a black person cannot be a poorly educated red state GOP nutter?
Predictably, you avoided my question.
Try again.
No. If you have to resort to false equivalence, you already lost.
So... you don't know why you hate black people, you just do.
Got it.
Thanks.

Some hard facts for the gun-hating left to choke on:

> Link here <

"LETS TALK GUN VIOLENCE!

There are about 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, this number is not disputed. (1)

U.S. population 328 million as of January 2018. (2)

Do the math: 0.00915% of the population dies from gun related actions each year.

Statistically speaking, this is insignificant. It's not even a rounding error.

What is not insignificant, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths:

• 22,938 (76%) are by suicide which can't be prevented by gun laws (3)

• 987 (3%) are by law enforcement, thus not relevant to Gun Control discussion. (4)

• 489 (2%) are accidental (5)

So no, "gun violence" isn't 30,000 annually, but rather 5,577... 0.0017% of the population.

Still too many? Let's look at location:

298 (5%) - St Louis, MO (6)

327 (6%) - Detroit, MI (6)

328 (6%) - Baltimore, MD (6)

764 (14%) - Chicago, IL (6)

That's over 30% of all gun crime. In just 4 cities.

This leaves 3,856 for for everywhere else in America... about 77 deaths per state. Obviously some States have higher rates than others

Yes, 5,577 is absolutely horrific, but let's think for a minute...

But what about other deaths each year?

70,000+ die from a drug overdose (7)

49,000 people die per year from the flu (8)

37,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities (9)

Now it gets interesting:

250,000+ people die each year from preventable medical errors. (10)

You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!

610,000 people die per year from heart disease (11)

Even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save about twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.).

A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides.

Simple, easily preventable, 10% reductions!

We don't have a gun problem... We have a political agenda and media sensationalism problem.

Here are some statistics about defensive gun use in the U.S. as well.

https://www.nap.edu/read/18319/chapter/3#14

Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010).

That's a minimum 500,000 incidents/assaults deterred, if you were to play devil's advocate and say that only 10% of that low end number is accurate, then that is still more than the number of deaths, even including the suicides.

Older study, 1995:

https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6853&context=jclc

The most technically sound estimates presented in Table 2 are those based on the shorter one-year recall period that rely on Rs' first-hand accounts of their own experiences (person-based estimates). These estimates appear in the first two columns. They indicate that each year in the U.S. there are about 2.2 to 2.5 million DGUs of all types by civilians against humans, with about 1.5 to 1.9 million of the incidents involving use of handguns.

r/dgu is a great sub to pay attention to, when you want to know whether or not someone is defensively using a gun

——sources——

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

https://everytownresearch.org/firearm-suicide/

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhamcs/web_tables/2015_ed_web_tables.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/?tid=a_inl_manual

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-accidental-gun-deaths-20180101-story.html
Cities With the Most Gun Violence (stats halved as reported statistics cover 2 years, single year statistics not found)

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812603

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

Heart Disease Facts & Statistics | cdc.gov"

Last edited:
Since when did Republicans have an issue with law-enforcement? My County Sheriff thinks concealed carry is a good thing, as do most of his deputies.
My cop friend does not want everyone carrying guns

As if you have friends...

the truth...

National Association of Chiefs of Police Annual Surveys on Concealed Handgun Reciprocity and other issues - Crime Prevention Research Center

National Association of Chiefs of Police Annual Surveys on Concealed Handgun Reciprocity and other issues - Crime Prevention Research Center

Concealed carry reciprocity: Support

29th annual Survey..... 88.62%
28th.............................86.4%
27th.............................63.3%

Can armed citizens help lower violent crime activity: Support

29th......75.77%
28th......76%
27th.......76.4%

Those aren’t Detroit cops

Detroit isn't part of the NATION? Who knew?

Gun Carry Laws Can Complicate Police Interactions

The recent targeted attacks on police in Dallas and Baton Rouge have law enforcement on edge. Some departments are telling officers to patrol in pairs when possible, and to be extra vigilant about possible ambush.

Complicating matters is the question of how to interpret and react to the presence of a gun. With more Americans now exercising their legal right to carry firearms, police find themselves having to make rapid judgments about whether an armed citizen is a threat.

While police are more sensitive to the presence of legal guns now, the dilemma isn't a new one. Gun rights groups started a push for more permissive laws in the 1990s, and most states now allow concealed carry, open carry or both.

And police are divided: Chiefs tend to favor more gun control, while the younger rank and file tend to support gun rights.

Chiefs have more experience.

But even many rank-and-file cops want some limits. Steve Loomis is head of the biggest police union in Cleveland — he calls himself a "Second Amendment guy," but on Sunday he asked Ohio Gov. John Kasich to limit the state's open-carry law during this week's Republican convention.

Loomis, talking to a reporter from The Plain Dealer, said there are certain practical problems in having people walk around downtown carrying semiautomatic rifles.

"Somebody's going to be watching, there's going to be multiple police officers watching that person with that AR-15, when they should be over here watching for the guy that's not on his meds that has a couple of handguns," Loomis said.

That's one of the challenges for police: Even in states with open carry, when people see someone with a gun, they tend to call the cops — and then the police get the thankless job of challenging someone who may or may not be a threat. One high-ranking officer in Texas calls it a "headache."

"When you have all these people running around with guns and rifles, you don't know who the bad guy is," he says.

Another potential headache is concealed-carry permits, and the people who like to keep their guns secret, like Joseph Olson of Minnesota.

"Unless it's an essential part of what I'm doing, like defending myself, whether or not I'm carrying it at any given time is something I never say," says Olson, a retired law professor who led the campaign to make his state a concealed-carry state in 2003.

Legal guns used to be a rarity in the Twin Cities, but in recent years the number of permits has jumped, and armed citizens are a routine factor for the police.

Olson says he thought Minnesota police had adapted to the reality of legal guns — until he was pulled over by an especially nervous-seeming cop.

"His voice had a tremor in it and I remember thinking to myself, 'Oh, my God.' I decided when I heard his voice that I was not going to introduce another element into the transaction," Olson says. He decided not to mention his gun.

Minnesota law doesn't require people to tell police they have a gun unless asked. Instructors give conflicting advice on this — but cops say they appreciate being told as soon as possible. Most of them have stories about close calls, when a legal gun appeared in the wrong way.

One officer recalls telling a gun owner, "Do you realize you almost died tonight?" The officer, whom we're not identifying because he doesn't have permission from work to talk about this, says he'd pulled the man over for a routine traffic stop.

"So I said, 'I see you have a permit to carry. Do you have a firearm in the vehicle?' "

"And ... [he said] 'Yeah, it's right here,' and he reaches over to his passenger seat, and I'm going, 'Stop. Don't move,' and he grabs this shirt," the officer recalls. "And I can then see a gun in it, and he's grabbing it."

The officer says he managed to grab the man's arm before being forced to pull his own gun, but police have shot motorists for a lot less than that.

Minnesota is an example of a state that's still adjusting to its new gun culture, and the state hasn't introduced any specific training for officers on how best to handle legally armed citizens. Some wonder if that played a role in the death of Philando Castile earlier this month. He's the black man who was shot during a traffic stop; his girlfriend, who was in the car with him, has said he was trying to tell the officer about his permitted gun.

Scott Dibble, a state senator from Minneapolis, says he's surprised officers haven't been given specific training for these situations, and he's also concerned that members of the public aren't being given clear, consistent instructions on how to inform officers that they're armed.

Dibble favors maximum transparency: "Seems like the right thing to do is to say, 'Officer, I'm a concealed-carry permit holder, I have a firearm, I don't want you to be surprised should you see it.' "

Then again, Dibble says, that's apparently what Philando Castile was trying to do when he got shot by a police officer.

At the time I was considering my license, I had the opportunity to discuss it with Cleveland police officers. I was a member of a dart team for our bar, and the Cleveland police team was visiting for a match.

These were mostly younger middle-aged guys. They all agreed they were behind citizens being armed. As one officer told me, he'd rather just do some paperwork on a victim defending him or herself with a gun than be chasing some maniac, through dark allies and driveways, not knowing if the creep is hiding for him to be an easy target.

But he cautioned me that older cops felt differently. They don't want anybody armed except perhaps a security guard or off duty police officer. A coworker of mine is a retired Cleveland police officer, and he pretty much was on the fence about it, but still sided with other older officers.

I listen to our police scanner all the time. When people stared to get licensed, they'd send a warning signal through the radio to alert the officer a subject had a license. After a while, they got rid of the alert, but still cautioned the officer of a license holder, and sent another unit out to assist. Now they casually mention it, and don't send another unit out unless it has something to do with a warrant of another subject or an officer requests assistance.

At least over here, it's no big deal anymore. However, if you are armed and have a weapon when pulled over, the stupidest thing you can do is reach for it in front of an officer. It's part of the training that is heavily stressed. We were trained that you keep both hands on top of the steering wheel at all times until an officer gives you further instructions.

Thank you for demonstrating that you know you cannot present a sound argument to this effect, nor can you demonstrate the necessity for or efficacy of banning said weapons.
I'll ask again:
Given that, why should a rational, reasoned person care about what you want?
Because I vote
And thus, you cannot tell us why a rational, reasoned person should care about what you want.
Let us know when you can demonstrate the necessity for and efficacy of banning pump-action shotguns with larger than a 5rd magazine, and placing pump-action shotguns under the NFA of 1934.

It doesn't have to make sense to you. Same way your tax breaks to the rich didn't make sense to us. When you had the seats needed you passed what you wanted despite our objections.

The majority of voters support common sense gun regulations.

Can you name one current gun regulation on the books right now you agree with? Any of them make sense to you?
You had control of the whole enchilada with the old tax system. Remember! We had a 39% tax rate for the wealthy and you did not remove one of their tax breaks. They ended up paying about 15% or so with shelters also. I just want to remind you. You had Nancy tell us what we had to see what was in Obamacare. We remember that!
Trump's tax breaks further widened the gap between the rich and rest of us.

Remember you guys cried that GE paid no taxes under Obama? Trump doubled the number of companies that pay no taxes.

Don't worry about this

The US budget deficit skyrocketed to a record $207.8 billion in May

Reagan had to spend his way into a good economy too. I think if a Democrat were president and did what Trump did you would say this is a fake economy.

And I'm hearing manufacturing is headed for a recession.

The most-anticipated recession in history is coming, and it’s tying investors in knots

And we've been hearing that from the MSM for three years now. They are trying to cause a recession to make sure Trump doesn't get reelected. The left are so desperate that they're even willing to try and destroy the economy just to win.

NO AG should be in the pocket of a president This pos made a mockery of the Meuller report for Trumps benefit He is supposed to represent the people NOT be the presidents lawyer

Really? Did you complain about it when this was said?

" Eric Holder: 'I'm Still the President's Wingman' -- Attorney General Eric Holder brushed off a question Thursday about when he might leave the administration. Instead, the top lawman professed his allegiance to President Barack Obama. Eric Holder: "I'm still the president's wing man."
Yes and didn't anyone teach you 2 wrongs don't make a right ,,,,or were you absent that day??

As you know, this is true about every Attorney General in history. You're just a desperate, pathetic Progressive who hates the fact that President Donald Trump is being incredibly successful!

wow-who-d816aae976-S.jpg

At least over here, it's no big deal anymore. However, if you are armed and have a weapon when pulled over, the stupidest thing you can do is reach for it in front of an officer. It's part of the training that is heavily stressed. We were trained that you keep both hands on top of the steering wheel at all times until an officer gives you further instructions.
NW Ohio here.
Both times I was pulled over while carrying, I had to make the deputy (Ottawa, Co; Wood Co) acknowledge the fact I told him I had my firearm on me before we proceeded any further - neither time did they seem too concerned

The majority of voters support common sense gun regulations.
The problem is, everybody has a different view of what "common sense" gun regulations are.
Rational, reasonable people require a demonstrable need for, and efficacy of, said restrictions for them to have any "sense" whatsoever.
Anti-gun loons, not so much.

> Link here <

"LETS TALK GUN VIOLENCE!

There are about 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, this number is not disputed. (1)

Do the math: 0.00915% of the population dies from gun related actions each year.

• 987 (3%) are by law enforcement, thus not relevant to Gun Control discussion. (4)

So no, "gun violence" isn't 30,000 annually, but rather 5,577... 0.0017% of the population.

This leaves 3,856 for for everywhere else in America... about 77 deaths per state. Obviously some States have higher rates than others

Now it gets interesting:

Even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save about twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.).

A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides.

We don't have a gun problem... We have a political agenda and media sensationalism problem.

Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million (Kleck, 2001a), in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 (BJS, 2010).

That's a minimum 500,000 incidents/assaults deterred, if you were to play devil's advocate and say that only 10% of that low end number is accurate, then that is still more than the number of deaths, even including the suicides.

Older study, 1995:

https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6853&context=jclc

The most technically sound estimates presented in Table 2 are those based on the shorter one-year recall period that rely on Rs' first-hand accounts of their own experiences (person-based estimates). These estimates appear in the first two columns. They indicate that each year in the U.S. there are about 2.2 to 2.5 million DGUs of all types by civilians against humans, with about 1.5 to 1.9 million of the incidents involving use of handguns.

r/dgu is a great sub to pay attention to, when you want to know whether or not someone is defensively using a gun

——sources——

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/?tid=a_inl_manual

Cities With the Most Gun Violence (stats halved as reported statistics cover 2 years, single year statistics not found)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

Nice post but, as you well know, they are of no interest to the far-left Progressive. They hate guns and are not satisfied with not having them for their own use but demand that no one else have them either.

> Link here <

"LETS TALK GUN VIOLENCE!

Now it gets interesting:

Older study, 1995:

——sources——

Nice post but, as you well know, they are of no interest to the far-left Progressive. They hate guns and are not satisfied with not having them for their own use but demand that no one else have them either.

Yeah, I get that. Might a well be trying to teach a dog to make an omelette. He'd just step on all the eggs and lap it up off the floor.

> Link here <

"LETS TALK GUN VIOLENCE!

Now it gets interesting:

Older study, 1995:

——sources——

Those 4 cities....controlled by democrats for decades...Chicago going back to 1931....Balitmore only one Repbulican mayor since 1947 and that guy was in 1963..... St. Louis....1949.... Detroit, 1962

Democrats and their policies drive gun crime....not normal people who own guns for self defense, sport and hunting...

> Link here <

"LETS TALK GUN VIOLENCE!

Now it gets interesting:

Older study, 1995:

——sources——

Finally, some data that I can work with. Usually, your bunch is so far off the deep end with figures that even pinnochio feels guilty with it. But this time you used solid information.

The fact remains, if we can save 5000 lives then that's fantastic, not doable but fantastic. If we can save 1 or 10 or even 20 innocent lives then we need to do it. In 2016, alone, Colorado's universal background check sent 127 convicted felons on parole back to prison who tried to buy guns when they failed the background check. How many lives did that save? We'll never know but rest assured, it was more than one. And no law abiding Citizen in Colorado was denied the right to buy a gun. In fact, I can go buy one today in less than 15 minutes. But because of the universal background check, there are 127 convicted felons that can't.

the 2nd amendment exists just in case the 1st one doesnt work, my friends
The 2nd amendment exists because the people who added it to the Constitution knew some people would eventually seek as many restrictions on the the exercise of the right to keep and bear arms as possible.
They were, obviously, right.

They saw these asshats coming from before 1776......

> Link here <

"LETS TALK GUN VIOLENCE!

Now it gets interesting:

Older study, 1995:

——sources——

Finally, some data that I can work with. Usually, your bunch is so far off the deep end with figures that even pinnochio feels guilty with it. But this time you used solid information.

The fact remains, if we can save 5000 lives then that's fantastic, not doable but fantastic. If we can save 1 or 10 or even 20 innocent lives then we need to do it. In 2016, alone, Colorado's universal background check sent 127 convicted felons on parole back to prison who tried to buy guns when they failed the background check. How many lives did that save? We'll never know but rest assured, it was more than one. And no law abiding Citizen in Colorado was denied the right to buy a gun. In fact, I can go buy one today in less than 15 minutes. But because of the universal background check, there are 127 convicted felons that can't.

You don't know what you are talking about...you make statements without links.....

I might have missed it but I did not find a reliable source and working link to where you found that Colorado sent 127 felons, on parole, back to prison for trying to buy a gun. I'd like to see where it is illegal and a violation of parole for a felon to TRY and buy a gun. I can TRY to buy a kilo of cocaine but if I don't actually buy the product, I've done nothing illegal.

No, saving 20 innocent lives does not mean we have to do anything.

Wrong. Universal background checks were not in place in Colorado. They have background checks which every state has. Universal background checks refer to every state going through a federal background check with all terms being the same.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back