If marriage is a religious institution...

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by atlasshrugged, Aug 2, 2012.

1. sfcalifornia

sfcalifornia Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +496
    And look at all these churches who marry same-sex couples in the eyes of God:

http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/united_states.htm

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,339
    the power to perform a marriage is granted by the state and carries with it over 1,000 rights and obligations also granted by the state. and the marriage license is issue by the state under state law.

:thup:

3. sfcalifornia

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +496
    Such a simple concept and yet, billions of dollars have been wasted arguing it and the House Republicans continue to pump money into this issue which they most certainly will eventually lose.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. ItsjustmeIthink

ItsjustmeIthink Social Capitalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry, I didn't read it all. heheh:p

Sounds like a pretty sound plan, imo. My main issue with homosexuals and the right to marry was how the government saw them. If the government doesn't recognize same-sex marriages then gay persons should not have to pay as much into social security.

Its a very legit issue when you pay as much as everyone else, but receive less.

Or was the resolved, I'm sorry I head about it on the news but as of this moment haven't heard anything further.

5. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,406

Its that whole idea that if gays are given the right to "marry" it somehow diminishes "real marriages"

I agree, its been a huge waste of money and effort.

6. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It's a religious contract in the eyes of quite a few of the people voting against it. If LGBT really only want the same civil rights, then calling it "marriage" is semantics. So if you give a little (letting religious naysayers not accept your union as marriage) then the government essentially accepts your union and you are free to recognize your own union however you like.

7. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    I dont believe in the insitution of marriage, it creates more division and confusion than it solves. By this I dont mean that marriage is entirely negative, however it does determine that religion is a basis for marriage.

If I was Mormon and wished to have multiple wives, irrespective of whether or not I only have sexual relations with one; under current marriage laws I would be committing an illegal act. Without state mandated marriage laws or views on relationships, you could have as many wives as you like while signing a private agreement to only have sexual relations with one wife.

But the objection might be raised, "but then my marriage isnt marriage", not so considering marriage would be established by means of private contract; the state would only intervene where contracts decieve or cheat a party or upon the expiry or breaking of a contract.

When this comes to religion, a church is forced to marry against its will or is forced to recognize homosexual marriage; and on the other hand homosexuals are barred from equal rights by a religious insitution. Without state involvement, everyone could marry by contract, and the issue would cease to exist.

Now, I know people would beg to differ on that. But state involvement is not required for a religious or non religious marriage to be valid by law.

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,406

Again... the religious do not own the word marriage or the ability to disalow other to call what they have... a marriage.

9. sfcalifornia

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +496
    In this country, a church or religious institution will never be forced to marry a same-sex couple. Media and public opinion may pressure them to do so but there isn't a law in the land that requires any church to marry anyone they don't want to.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,339
    does it really matter what a "few" of the voters feel about it? or even the majority of the voters?