If Democrats Win House, What Damage Can They Really Do ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
A recent article in the Associated Press said this >> "Should Democrats win control of the House, as strategists in both parties suggest is likely, they could derail Trump's legislative agenda for the next two years." Well, that my be true, but an enormous amount of legislation has already been passed by the Republican Congress and Trump, which Democrats have no ability to do anything about.

Trumps tax cuts can't be altered, Muslim ban already enacted into law (upheld by the Supreme Court), almost 100 Conservative judges have been appointed, Iran deal decertified, deregulation already has occurred (and bolstered the economy), corporate tax already reduced significantly, unfair trade imbalances have been smashed, economy improved immensely due to Trump reforms, 2 conservative SCOTUS judges already appointed, $200 Million in aid to Palestinians already cut off, $300 Million to Pakistan already cut, America now world's largest oil producer, pipelines are flowing, US embassy moved to Jerusalem, first woman head of CIA, action taken to fight opioids, Obamacare individual mandate scrapped, prisoners from North Korea returned home, eliminated funding for Syrian rebels, "knocked the hell out of ISIS", 800 Obama regualtions cut (saving $200 Billion), Cut white House budget (saving $22 Million), $285 Million cut from bloated UN budget,...……..this paragraph could go on and on to 20 times the size it is.

So sure, if Democrats take back the House they can stop Republican progress, but so much has already been done it is mind-boggling. For the past 2 years, the Don has been a very busy boy, and has already MADE America great again, of which the Democrats can do little or nothing about.

The AP article also says >> "Perhaps more importantly, they would also win subpoena power to investigate the president's many personal and professional missteps." More importantly ? Really ? Like the Russian collusion hoax that sputtered out to nothing and made a fool out of Robert Mueller ? Investigate ? Like all the accusations against Justice Kavanaugh that went nowhere ? Like the DNC's Muslim gold star father, Khizir Khan, who is all but in hiding, after he was exposed as a shill fraud immigration lawyer with a vested interest, plus had Muslim Brotherhood and Clinton Foundation connections ? Like all these laughingstock investigations, and attacks against Trump, while his approval ratings keep rising with each and every attack.

I suppose the Democrats could stop some stuff in 2019 and 2020, but the reality is, this might be a political war that has already been won by Trump and conservatives.

All the Democrats can do is make a lot of noise and do their best to see that Trump is not elected in 2020. Make no mistake; that will be at the top of their agenda. And don't forget, they will have the full support of the non-Fox Media in the effort.

So expect various House committees to launch a never ending series of investigations and hearings into everything from Trump's tax returns to Kavanaugh's high school sex life to Melania's wardrobe.

And they will propose feel-good legislation ("FREE STUFF FOR EVERYBODY!" knowing that the Republicans will prevent it from ever getting passed, but using those votes and tactics as weapons against the Republicans in 2020.

For example, Liz Warren has drafted a law that will give billions to people in impoverished areas, so that they can have a down payment to buy their first home. The law will go nowhere, but those who vote against it will be excoriated as racist and not caring about The Poor.

A recent article in the Associated Press said this >> "Should Democrats win control of the House, as strategists in both parties suggest is likely, they could derail Trump's legislative agenda for the next two years." Well, that my be true, but an enormous amount of legislation has already been passed by the Republican Congress and Trump, which Democrats have no ability to do anything about.

Trumps tax cuts can't be altered, Muslim ban already enacted into law (upheld by the Supreme Court), almost 100 Conservative judges have been appointed, Iran deal decertified, deregulation already has occurred (and bolstered the economy), corporate tax already reduced significantly, unfair trade imbalances have been smashed, economy improved immensely due to Trump reforms, 2 conservative SCOTUS judges already appointed, $200 Million in aid to Palestinians already cut off, $300 Million to Pakistan already cut, America now world's largest oil producer, pipelines are flowing, US embassy moved to Jerusalem, first woman head of CIA, action taken to fight opioids, Obamacare individual mandate scrapped, prisoners from North Korea returned home, eliminated funding for Syrian rebels, "knocked the hell out of ISIS", 800 Obama regualtions cut (saving $200 Billion), Cut white House budget (saving $22 Million), $285 Million cut from bloated UN budget,...……..this paragraph could go on and on to 20 times the size it is.

So sure, if Democrats take back the House they can stop Republican progress, but so much has already been done it is mind-boggling. For the past 2 years, the Don has been a very busy boy, and has already MADE America great again, of which the Democrats can do little or nothing about.

The AP article also says >> "Perhaps more importantly, they would also win subpoena power to investigate the president's many personal and professional missteps." More importantly ? Really ? Like the Russian collusion hoax that sputtered out to nothing and made a fool out of Robert Mueller ? Investigate ? Like all the accusations against Justice Kavanaugh that went nowhere ? Like the DNC's Muslim gold star father, Khizir Khan, who is all but in hiding, after he was exposed as a shill fraud immigration lawyer with a vested interest, plus had Muslim Brotherhood and Clinton Foundation connections ? Like all these laughingstock investigations, and attacks against Trump, while his approval ratings keep rising with each and every attack.

I suppose the Democrats could stop some stuff in 2019 and 2020, but the reality is, this might be a political war that has already been won by Trump and conservatives.
They can destroy the momentum and then the country.

My question is, what can the Republicans do in the coming "lame duck" session between now and January.
1. Re-vote and pass immigration reform in the House?
2. Re-vote to end Obamacare in the Senate?
3. Fix entitlements that are going bankrupt?
4. Litigate the 14th Amendment and end anchor babies
5. Others??

All the Democrats can do is make a lot of noise and do their best to see that Trump is not elected in 2020. Make no mistake; that will be at the top of their agenda. And don't forget, they will have the full support of the non-Fox Media in the effort.

So expect various House committees to launch a never ending series of investigations and hearings into everything from Trump's tax returns to Kavanaugh's high school sex life to Melania's wardrobe.

And they will propose feel-good legislation ("FREE STUFF FOR EVERYBODY!" knowing that the Republicans will prevent it from ever getting passed, but using those votes and tactics as weapons against the Republicans in 2020.

For example, Liz Warren has drafted a law that will give billions to people in impoverished areas, so that they can have a down payment to buy their first home. The law will go nowhere, but those who vote against it will be excoriated as racist and not caring about The Poor.
They can stop the Trump disaster for this country.

I think we're all just hoping for some gridlock. I wouldn't expect Democrats do to much worthwhile, even if they had both sides of Congress. But good old-fashioned obstructionism will do.

We will see open borders and the same old do-nothing gang and I am a diehard liberal. I went to the poll to vote straight democrat and I ended up voting straight republican. Immigration is the most important issue to me because it will affect every aspect of our economy. No one is crossing the border illegally with a college degree and fluent in English. I have not heard one democrat address the issue of immigration and the thousands that are going to invade this country in the next few weeks.

First, they'd need to examine their own role in the "Trump disaster". The reason we're all worried about what the Republicans, or the President, are going to do regarding health care (for example), is because Democrats passed the law putting Congress and the President in charge of our health care.

We will see open borders and the same old do-nothing gang and I am a diehard liberal. I went to the poll to vote straight democrat and I ended up voting straight republican. Immigration is the most important issue to me because it will affect every aspect of our economy. No one is crossing the border illegally with a college degree and fluent in English. I have not heard one democrat address the issue of immigration and the thousands that are going to invade this country in the next few weeks.

If only you had a wall you could hide behind!

There is no real,leadership in either party, and there is no appetite for constructive legislation from either party. When the Dems win the house, if they oust Puklosi as the leader, it would be possible for some degree of decorum between the two parties. But if they stick with Her the next 2 years will be very contentious.

I'll be curious if some of the young war hero democrat congressmen who won in GOP districts vote with the dems all the time, or remember how they ran and that the next 2-year cycle comes around fast. I was surprised at how some of the dems' resumes' sounded more like GOP candidates than progressive lefties.

Nothing really changes if the Democrats retake the House. Perhaps a bunch of grandstanding investigations into the administration, but I doubt any substantial legislation reaches the Resolute Desk.

From where I sit it a pretty damned good "disaster."

Nothing really changes if the Democrats retake the House. Perhaps a bunch of grandstanding investigations into the administration, but I doubt any substantial legislation reaches the Resolute Desk.

I don't know about that. Trump has never been a conservative, and if he can't get what he wants from the Republicans, he's about as likely to cozy up to Democrats. We seen hints of this already. We'll see.

I don't know about that. Trump has never been a conservative, and if he can't get what he wants from the Republicans, he's about as likely to cozy up to Democrats. We seen hints of this already. We'll see.

Maybe. I am hearing rumors about the administration making overtures to Congressional/Senate Democrats in hopes of cobbling together a badly needed infrastructure bill.

Boy, I hope no one confuses you for me.
We are mirror opposites.
No one wants illegals crossing the border, period, including me. However, immigrants to this country rarely come with college degrees and being fluent in another language. If they were that "set," they would stay home. The second generation, though, the children of those not so well educated immigrants, will be good ol American citizens who will take advantage of all the country offers--or not. It's a free country.

Maybe. I am hearing rumors about the administration making overtures to Congressional/Senate Democrats in hopes of cobbling together a badly needed infrastructure bill.
That would be nice.

The republicans seem to have only one skill, when it comes to governance: naysaying.

So, the smart strategy would be to pour legislation into the senate, forcing republicans to do the only thing they know how to do : obstruct.

Let them prevent votes on immigration reform. Let them throw tantrums and obstruct voting on SS and medicare reform. Let them obstruct tax cuts only for the lower earners. Let them throw their little hissies over equal pay for women.

Then , just point at that in 2020. Pretty simple,really.

And, the things that do pass? Why,those will be bills authored by Democrats or bipartisan-sponsored bills.

It would have to get through a Republican Senate first.

The biggest issue for the Dems would be them going so overboard and lefty that they give Republicans a free issue for the 2020 election.

Forum List

Back