If A President Trump Can Successfully Claim National Emergency For A Wall

the president has authority to declare a national emergency but Congress can terminate it by passing a joint resolution and overturning a presidential veto, according to Bill Kristol.

"10 USC 2808 allows the president to redirect military construction funds that have already been approved by Congress to other military construction projects “not otherwise authorized by law.” There are two crucial restrictions, however. First, the emergency must “require the use of the armed forces.” Second, the statute only authorizes construction projects “that are necessary to support such use of the armed forces.”

In what is often called the Posse Comitatus Act, 18 U.S. Code § 1385 makes it a federal crime punishable by two years in prison to use the Army or the Air Force to “execute the laws.” (There are similar laws and regulations restricting the use of the Navy and Marines.) In short, with some minor exceptions already authorized by Congress which include things like helping conducting border surveillance, the military may not be used to enforce immigration laws or any other domestic laws.

So it isn’t possible for President Trump to use 10 USC 2808 to build his wall. "

What's to stop a President Elizabeth Warren from claiming a national emergency because too many people are getting ripped off by the banks and use tax payer dollars to recompense the funds lost?

What's to stop a President Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez from claiming a national emergency because too many Americans are poor and in need of health care so use billions of tax payer dollars to rectify that situation?

Is this the slippery slope Republicans are CURRENTLY clamoring for?

Slippery slope? Been there done that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/psmag.com/.amp/news/the-united-states-states-of-emergencies

Your exaggerations are as bad as Trumps. First off there are not 20 million undocumented immigrants in the US. Depending on the year the number is somewhere between 8 and 11 million, the number has been decreasing for 12 years.
I stopped reading at this point because you just started spewing crap...feel free to post anything to back it up & I'll read it. I have posted links to support my numbers.

Yale, MIT study: 22 million, not 11 million, undocumented immigrants in US

I suggest you actually read the Yale Study. It uses trend analysis to arrive at a figure 16.7 million using 1990 data and projecting forward and simulation analysis to arrive at a 22 million figure. This is a mathematical model which indicates what the population could be. Pew research studies are based actual surveys and census data.

The main criticism of the Yale Study is the starting value of the model in 1990. Census data in Mexico and the US show that the undocumented immigrant population can not be what the Yale study claims.

The number of undocumented immigrants in the United States: Estimates based on demographic modeling with data from 1990 to 2016
Both Sides of Immigration Debate Doubt Bombshell Yale Study

Can't wait for Trump to set a precedent for any incoming Democratic prez

Yup. If you can't get congress to play along, just call an emergency and you're good.
Too Bad Obama didn't know about this and how to use it
Obama used it more than a dozen times.
Did he use it to break a political deadlock?
Not sure, but he did use it.

Agreed. But Trump wants to use it because Congress won't do what he wants. That's not a crisis.

And neither is the immigration problem. If it were a crisis, if it were truly an emergency, he was remiss for not declaring it in the first place.

I remain one who’s for a wall, but not for unlimited funding for a wall. So, I actually think there should be some compromises on how much is spent

'BURUNDI' ... A UNITED STATES 'NATIONAL EMERGENCY' ... ACCORDING TO BARRY....

'NUFF SAID...

What's to stop a President Elizabeth Warren from claiming a national emergency because too many people are getting ripped off by the banks and use tax payer dollars to recompense the funds lost?

What's to stop a President Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez from claiming a national emergency because too many Americans are poor and in need of health care so use billions of tax payer dollars to rectify that situation?

Only Republicans think six people are so dangerous you need to spend $20,000,000,000.00 to build a wall they could simply walk around, tunnel under or use a ladder to go over.

These must the be the most laughable and gullible people in the world.

I remember when they thought Obama was spending $200,000,000.00 a DAY on his vacation. They were a laughing stock then and they are laughing stock now. An even bigger laughing stock.

The stupidity never ends.
So walls don’t work? Hmmm interesting you should tell your local prision to lose the walls no?
Don't be stupid.

It's not the wall the keeps the prisoners in.

It's the armed guards.

So we should just have prisons with just the same amount of guards and no walls? Interesting, idea, do you honestly think it will work?

Only Republicans think six people are so dangerous you need to spend $20,000,000,000.00 to build a wall they could simply walk around, tunnel under or use a ladder to go over.

These must the be the most laughable and gullible people in the world.

I remember when they thought Obama was spending $200,000,000.00 a DAY on his vacation. They were a laughing stock then and they are laughing stock now. An even bigger laughing stock.

The stupidity never ends.
So walls don’t work? Hmmm interesting you should tell your local prision to lose the walls no?
Don't be stupid.

It's not the wall the keeps the prisoners in.

It's the armed guards.

So we should just have prisons with just the same amount of guards and no walls? Interesting, idea, do you honestly think it will work?
Prisons should have no walls. They're immoral you know.

The left doesn't care about people but keep pretending to in order to gain power. They need those votes. They are trying to change laws to allow illegals to vote. We know they do already in states like California but they want them voting everywhere. Once the left gets full power, I bet there won't be any more elections. Once they get their one world government, we will live under a dictatorship and life will suck.

The left wants us to be overwhelmed with illegals. We already spend tens of billions each year on them. Would be cheaper to build the wall and force people to follow our laws but that won't help the left. They don't care why people come here, whether they want welfare or just to easily conduct their criminal activity. They want to bring us down and this is a tried and true tactic.

We want and need immigrants who will come and work and help pay taxes. That is not what we get much of the time.

The left pretends that there is no difference between legal and illegal immigrants. They cite our history but the immigrants of yesterday came to help build this great country. They didn't come to take advantage of people and get a free ride. They didn't come to commit crimes, like drug dealing and human trafficking.

54256544_301256900569610_509871051065262080_n.jpg

Forum List

Back