Iditirod 2016 DUI snowmachine hits racers

EverCurious

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2014
Alaska
Meh maybe this is just a local / Alaska thing anymore - though we have a global following, it seems like the US doesn't care.

In any event, we had a drunken snow machiner hit two separate racer's on the trail. The second musher's (King) team suffered horribly; Nash, one of the dogs, was killed, and two other pups suffered a broken leg and various lacerations.

The man responsible turned himself in the next morning and is being transported to Anchorage with a large collection of charges - and likely more to come. He says that drinking is ruining his life and it's reported that King was his favorite musher - also said he deserves to go to jail.

~ Nulato man faces 12 charges in snowmachine collisions with Iditarod teams

stuff happens. I lived in Alaska from 1993 to 2008 and they have a few deaths at this event. but there are also a lot of people there.

I've been up here 42 years, never heard of a drunk snow machiner "attacking" mushers on the Iditarod before, much less actually hitting or killing any of the team. Crazy.

I hope the guy gets help for the drinking thing, he clearly needs it regardless of if this was intentional (as the mushers felt) or accidental (as he claimed.)

I've been up here 42 years, never heard of a drunk snow machiner "attacking" mushers on the Iditarod before, much less actually hitting or killing any of the team. Crazy.

I hope the guy gets help for the drinking thing, he clearly needs it regardless of if this was intentional (as the mushers felt) or accidental (as he claimed.)
That Musher should have killed the fucker.

I would have no problem killing any motherfucker who hurt or killed one of my dogs

As I understand it the machine clipped their sleds, the first gal's sled was spun and the second guy was tossed from his sled (the closest 4 of his dogs basically got run over because they couldn't dodge the machine.)

I have little doubt that if King hadn't been tossed (and the guy fled the scene) he would have pulled the gun off his sled and put him down to protect his dogs. I can't say that'd be true of Zykil though; she was shook up and still kind of in shock when she finally got into the checkpoint (which as I understand was about an hour or so after.) Mushers love their dogs like family. In the Sockeye fire - right in the heart of musher headquarters - in June a bunch of our racers lost everything they owned to save their dogs; 3 of them [attempted] to run the race this year regardless (last I heard only one of them had scratched, because she thought she broke her ribs. A lot of folks in Alaska didn't think she should have tried running this year; her son passed away, then the fire took everything but her dogs. Everyone told her to just take this year off but she was being stubborn :/ )

You don't mess with musher dogs up here, I honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if this guy finds himself beat to hell for it in jail >.<

Forum List

Back