i will have another....goes for the triple crown

i was impressed by the 25 yr old jockey....the preshow was not giving him much of a chance....all going for mike smith on bodemister

I didn't get to watch the race. Hope "I'll Have Another" wins the Triple Crown. We haven't had one of those kind of horses since the 70's.

I didn't get to watch the race. Hope "I'll Have Another" wins the Triple Crown. We haven't had one of those kind of horses since the 70's.

I don't know that much about horse racing but I enjoy watching, when I notice it is on I pick a horse and have a little fun. I happened to see the recent Derby where the finish was almost exactly the same. Bodeymeister was in the lead but I'll have another pulled it out down the stretch!

The horse shows a lot of heart down the stretch. I'd like to see him win

The problem with the Belmont is the distance and the fresh horses being thrown at you.

I say.......he wins

He'll need a lot of heart. He has a lot of heart, but he almost waited too long.

He's no Secretariat, but Secretariat was a horse that happens once in a thousand years..like Alexander's and General Lee's horses. I hope he wins!

TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS
1919 Sir Barton
1930 Gallant Fox
1935 Omaha
1937 War Admiral
1941 Whirlaway
1943 Count Fleet
1946 Assault
1948 Citation
1973 Secretariat
1977 Seattle Slew
1978 Affirmed

Let's hope we can add one more great horse in my lifetime too the list.

In my lifetime
1973 Secretariat
1977 Seattle Slew
1978 Affirmed

Last edited:
He'll need a lot of heart. He has a lot of heart, but he almost waited too long.

He's no Secretariat, but Secretariat was a horse that happens once in a thousand years..like Alexander's and General Lee's horses. I hope he wins!

Seabiscuit was a horse with heart. During his racing lifetime he was the peoples horse. Rags to riches sad that he never was given the chance to race in the triple crown races.
He beat the great triple crown winner war admiral.

TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS
1919 Sir Barton
1930 Gallant Fox
1935 Omaha
1937 War Admiral
1941 Whirlaway
1943 Count Fleet
1946 Assault
1948 Citation
1973 Secretariat
1977 Seattle Slew
1978 Affirmed

In my lifetime
1973 Secretariat
1977 Seattle Slew
1978 Affirmed
Three in the thirties, four in the 40s, 3 in the seventies...that's crazy.

TRIPLE CROWN WINNERS
1919 Sir Barton
1930 Gallant Fox
1935 Omaha
1937 War Admiral
1941 Whirlaway
1943 Count Fleet
1946 Assault
1948 Citation
1973 Secretariat
1977 Seattle Slew
1978 Affirmed

In my lifetime
1973 Secretariat
1977 Seattle Slew
1978 Affirmed
Three in the thirties, four in the 40s, 3 in the seventies...that's crazy.

If that's the case then we will have number 4
3, 4, 3, 4,

I am a huge horse racing fan, and I consider myself to be a horse racing historian, so here goes:

I like I'll Have Another's chances in the Belmont. His pedigree shows him to be a great finisher with excellent endurance.

The so-called "experts" have been talking about his lack of a "great" pedigree, but they were all too lazy to look back far enough into his "family tree".

Forty Niner
Danzig
Mr. Prospector
Pleasant Colony
Alydar
Raise A Native
Tom Rolfe
Hail To Reason
Nijinsky
Northern Dancer
Native Dancer
And here is the "kicker"...........Princequillo (a great distance horse in his time)..........who happened to be Somethingroyal's sire..........Somethingroyal happened to give birth to a horse named SECRETARIAT.

Bodemeister has a VERY impressive pedigree, but he obviously doesn't have the endurance. I would be surprised if Baffert ran Bodemeister in the Belmont. Why bother?

As some of you already stated, there is always a distance horse that one of the top trainers always saves specifically to run in the Belmont. Nick Zito is famous for that. So was Woody Stephens.

As for yesterday's Preakness, I was very impressed with I'll Have Another. He ran 1:55.9 on what was called a slow track. Secretariat's "official" winning time was 1:54 2/5 on what was considered a very fast track. The Preakness record is 1:53 2/5 (which many say that Secretariat actually ran).

There are so many variables, and so many things that can go wrong before and during the Belmont. It is VERY tough to win the Triple Crown in this day and age.

In 2008, I would have "bet the farm" that Big Brown would win the Belmont,and the Triple Crown, but a loose shoe did him in. Big Brown was a great horse, but he had bad hooves. And we all know what happened to Barbaro in 2006. A real tragedy.

Last edited:
It always seems to be the Belmont though where the triple crown is lost. It's just too long

1 1/4 mile. That's the longest but he did well yesterday and that was 1 3/16. Could be but these photo finishes are incredibly ify.

Forum List

Back