i will have another....goes for the triple crown

The horse shows a lot of heart down the stretch. I'd like to see him win

The problem with the Belmont is the distance and the fresh horses being thrown at you.

I say.......he wins

Positive thoughts and prayers offered for I'll Have Another. :)

The Belmont is 1 1/2 miles, the Derby is 1 1/4 miles, and the Preakness is 1 3/16 miles.

There have been a number of horses who have won the Preakness and Belmont, and didn't win the Derby. Of the "recent" horses, Afleet Alex and Point Given (a Baffert horse) come to mind, as well as Risen Star (a son of Secretariat).

Then there are some of the horses who won the Derby and the Belmont. Riva Ridge (Secretariat's stable mate), Swale (a son of Seattle Slew, who tragically died a couple of weeks after he won the Belmont), and Thunder Gulch are three of them.

Some will say that the Derby is the toughest of the three, because of the crowd noise and the higher number of horses that are usually entered in the Derby, which causes a lot of traffic.

Look at what happened to the Derby favorite this year (Union Rags). He had a TERRIBLE run. He got bumped around, boxed in, and stumbled and bumbled his way to an awful finish.

Bodemeister is a choker - just like Alydar was against Affirmed.

But I don't think I'll Have Another will win the Belmont.

I think he might...if he doesn't wait too long to put on the gas. He seems to be a horse that puts out just enough effort to win, and no more.

I had a horse like that, he'd only run hard when he was passing, then once he was in front, meh, he slacked off. Too bad because he's one of the fastest horses I've ever seen up close and personal, but he was just too lazy to care much.

I'll have another is currently a 3-5 favorite. Bodemeister is not even in the race

Have to be careful with those fresh horses though

I'll have another is currently a 3-5 favorite. Bodemeister is not even in the race

I didn't know Bodemeister wouldn't race in the Belmont. Just assumed Baffert would want some redemption.

I still don't think I'll Have Another will win.

(one of those fresh horses you mention)

I didn't know Bodemeister wouldn't race in the Belmont. Just assumed Baffert would want some redemption.

Baffert is tired of getting his butt kicked

I think he has another fresher horse in the race

Baffert is tired of getting his butt kicked

I think he has another fresher horse in the race

I don't believe that Baffert thinks he "got his butt kicked". His horse lost the Derby and Preakness at the very end of both races. Not exactly poor performances.

Baffert knows that Bodemeister is not a 1 1/2 mile horse. Something else we don't know is the possibility that Bodemeister came out of the Preakness banged up.

Horses get sore. They get tired muscles. They sprain muscles. Maybe Bodemeister came out of the Preakness with some kind of an injury. We just don't know. Trainers can be a sly bunch.

Bodemeister is still a multi-million dollar horse in stud. Why risk injuring him in a meaningless race that is obviously beyond his maximum "winnable" distance?

Gincspy, Alydar was a "choker"? How does a HORSE become a "choker"? Take Affirmed out of 1978, and Alydar is the Triple Crown winner in 1978. Alydar had the misfortune of being foaled in the same year that Affirmed was. There has never been two more evenly matched horses EVER in a Triple Crown season. Alydar was a GREAT horse.

Secretariat makes all other horses look like "chokers", based on Gincspy's criteria.

Forum List

Back