I watched a 1958 Perry Mason tonite.....oh the irony

tyroneweaver

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2012
Burley, Idaho
So the concluding scene was Della entering the office and said, "which one of you handsome gentleman is going to take me out to lunch?"
Perry Mason (raymond burr) replies, "I will."
Paul Drake (william Hopper) replied,"well I guess I just get left out don't I?"
To which Perry Mason (raymond burr) replied to Paul Drake (william hopper) . "sorry paul, you're not my type."

... and then it dawned on me.. LOL

I wonder if that was just a natural event, or one of the writers that knew was making a dig.

So the concluding scene was Della entering the office and say, "which one of you handsome gentleman is going to take me out to lunch?"
Paul Drake (dennis Hopper) replied,"well I guess I just get left out don't I?"
To which Perry Mason (raymond burr) replied. "sorry paul, you're not my type."

That lunch was less than a dollar?

So the concluding scene was Della entering the office and said, "which one of you handsome gentleman is going to take me out to lunch?"
To which Perry Mason (raymond burr) replied to Paul Drake (william hopper) . "sorry paul, you're not my type."

I wonder if that was just a natural event, or one of the writers that knew was making a dig.
Gas was under .40 cents a gallon? :)..or were they able to walk/wheel to the diner?

many of mason/s shows end with that little wrap up at the office scene. most are one liners at how cheap drake is or assurances that burr will pick up the tab.

great show by the way. my wife loves it.

It is widely believed that Raymond Burr was gay, thus the OPs question about the "dig" in the closing line of the scene. Though Burr never confirmed his sexuality while living, the posthumous evidence could be considered overwhelming. Not that it matters...

And Ironside was in a wheelchair, not Mason.

actually, Paul was more Perrys type than Della.

It is widely believed that Raymond Burr was gay, thus the OPs question about the "dig" in the closing line of the scene. Though Burr never confirmed his sexuality while living, the posthumous evidence could be considered overwhelming. Not that it matters...

And Ironside was in a wheelchair, not Mason.
living the undercover life of a pre stonewall homosexual must be great practice for actors.
burr was a great actor. who could have done a better "godzilla " ?

hopper was also in a few of those svengoolie creature features. maybe a giant praying mantid?

living the undercover life of a pre stonewall homosexual must be great practice for actors.
burr was a great actor. who could have done a better "godzilla " ?

hopper was also in a few of those svengoolie creature features. maybe a giant praying mantid?

The Deadly Mantis, 1957

Forum List

Back