I want lawyers taxed 10% of their $100 billion...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Many of you think I as a conservative am against ALL increases in taxes and for the most part I am adverse EXCEPT for LAWYERS!

Like TANNING Salons in Obamacare that are taxed 10% cause they cause cancer,
I think the lawyers should be surcharged 10% of their income because according to the experts.. they are causing $850 billion a year in WASTE !

This 10% would be tied to the $850 billion a year that is called "defensive medicine".
I'm not making this up the physicians tell us ... 1,231 physicians...(90%) Ninety percent of physicians surveyed said
"doctors overtest and overtreat to protect themselves from malpractice lawsuits."
"Defensive medicine is when doctors order multiple tests, MRIs and other procedures, not because the patient needs them, but to protect against litigation based on allegations that something should have been done but wasn’t. according to the survey published Monday in Archives of Internal Medicine.
Besides more time-consuming appointments, patients are left with fewer services and less access to quality care as doctors either narrow their practices or leave the profession entirely."
http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/Examiner-editorial-Obama-wont-take-on-trial-lawyers-in-speech-57953202.htm

In a recent Gallup survey, physicians attributed 34 percent of overall healthcare costs to defensive medicine and 21 percent of their practice to be defensive in nature. Specifically, they estimated that 35 percent of diagnostic tests, 29 percent of lab tests, 19 percent of hospitalizations, 14 percent of prescriptions, and 8 percent of surgeries were performed to avoid lawsuits.

Liability reform has been estimated to result in anywhere from a 5 percent to a 34 percent reduction in medical expenditures by reducing defensive medicine practices, with estimates of savings from $54 billion to $650 billion.
The costs of defensive medicine

34% because of defensive medicine! 34% of $2.5 trillion a year in health care costs equals: $850 billion a year!!!

So why not tie declining $850 billion to the 10% tax on lawyers.. i.e. for every $100 billion in reduced defensive medicine.. tax drops 1/2 of 1%!!!

THEN this $10 billion a year is used to pay the claims filed by hospitals for the truly 8 million uninsured!

THEN watch how under audit these hospitals don't have to "PAD AND PASS" sometimes marking up 6,000% to insurance/medicare these "uninsured" costs!

Tied together, reducing the defensive medicine and reducing the "padding and passing" to insurance/medicare between the two.. nearly $200 billion a year reduction
in health care costs!
NOW THAT IS REAL SOLUTIONS that WILL REALLY work!!!!

I say tax them 80% it cost me close to a $1000 for a 15 minute hearing. I mean the rich should pay their fair share. Right?

I say tax them 80% it cost me close to a $1000 for a 15 minute hearing. I mean the rich should pay their fair share. Right?

No we don't want to kill the golden goose as Obama wants to do!
But by tying the declining costs of defensive medicine to the declining tax rate would be an incentive for lawyers to figure some more equitable way of reaching all our goals!
Look I don't want them to go out of business!
I do want though the many wasteful activities that are behind the scenes be reduced.
For example less then 5% of all medical legal actions end up in court! Most settled out of court... primarily because defendants see it is cheaper!
BUT that's the problem! Insurance companies they really don't care.. they just jack up the premiums since 80% on average of premiums go out in claims!
So if physicians DIDN"T have to be worried about being seconded guessed on every diagnosis and treatment they would be a reduction in the $850 billion!
The physicians have told us so!!!

I think there should be a salary cap on ALL lawyers. 250K a year, max.

Lawyers are the scum of the Earth, in particular civil lawyers and ambulance chasers.

We can trace 90% of society's problems to the root problem: Fitlhy bastard lawyers.

A basic truism of life is that we need lawyers because we have lawyers.

If we didn't have lawyers, we wouldn't need lawyers.

But, they have every right to charge what the traffic will bear. And, when you need a rattlesnake in a suit who is on your side, you'll happily pay it.

Many of you think I as a conservative am against ALL increases in taxes and for the most part I am adverse EXCEPT for LAWYERS!

Like TANNING Salons in Obamacare that are taxed 10% cause they cause cancer,
I think the lawyers should be surcharged 10% of their income because according to the experts.. they are causing $850 billion a year in WASTE !

This 10% would be tied to the $850 billion a year that is called "defensive medicine".
I'm not making this up the physicians tell us ... 1,231 physicians...(90%) Ninety percent of physicians surveyed said
"doctors overtest and overtreat to protect themselves from malpractice lawsuits."
"Defensive medicine is when doctors order multiple tests, MRIs and other procedures, not because the patient needs them, but to protect against litigation based on allegations that something should have been done but wasn’t. according to the survey published Monday in Archives of Internal Medicine.
Besides more time-consuming appointments, patients are left with fewer services and less access to quality care as doctors either narrow their practices or leave the profession entirely."
http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/Examiner-editorial-Obama-wont-take-on-trial-lawyers-in-speech-57953202.htm

In a recent Gallup survey, physicians attributed 34 percent of overall healthcare costs to defensive medicine and 21 percent of their practice to be defensive in nature. Specifically, they estimated that 35 percent of diagnostic tests, 29 percent of lab tests, 19 percent of hospitalizations, 14 percent of prescriptions, and 8 percent of surgeries were performed to avoid lawsuits.

Liability reform has been estimated to result in anywhere from a 5 percent to a 34 percent reduction in medical expenditures by reducing defensive medicine practices, with estimates of savings from $54 billion to $650 billion.
The costs of defensive medicine

34% because of defensive medicine! 34% of $2.5 trillion a year in health care costs equals: $850 billion a year!!!

So why not tie declining $850 billion to the 10% tax on lawyers.. i.e. for every $100 billion in reduced defensive medicine.. tax drops 1/2 of 1%!!!

THEN this $10 billion a year is used to pay the claims filed by hospitals for the truly 8 million uninsured!

THEN watch how under audit these hospitals don't have to "PAD AND PASS" sometimes marking up 6,000% to insurance/medicare these "uninsured" costs!

Tied together, reducing the defensive medicine and reducing the "padding and passing" to insurance/medicare between the two.. nearly $200 billion a year reduction
in health care costs!
NOW THAT IS REAL SOLUTIONS that WILL REALLY work!!!!

This is a great idea. Tax all lawyers because of the expenses incurred due to a small portion of lawyers. In the same spirit, we should levy an additional 10% taxation on all people, to pay for the expenses incurred due to a small portion of people who are on welfare.

Lawyers are the scum of the Earth, in particular civil lawyers and ambulance chasers.

We can trace 90% of society's problems to the root problem: Fitlhy bastard lawyers.

I don't think a salary cap is a solution but I don't know a lot except about health care financing specifically Medicare.
And with that far vaster knowledge then most people on this forum specifically Medicare/health care finance the issue still comes down to the biggest elephant in the room!
"Defensive Medicine" caused by fear of lawsuits.

the only reason Obama didn't use the same logic that has tanning salons paying taxes i.e. tanning causes cancer..ergo have cancer causers pay the cancer treatment bills was because Obama/Democrats received in 2008 $300 million from lawyers!

So the only hope is changing 6 senate seats to GOP. Repeal Obamacare and Obama will veto causing an impeachment!

But that still doesn't alter the $850 billon a year.
So first admit there never were 50 million but only 8 million truly uninsured.
Then force hospitals to send bills for Uninsured to the for profit/lowest bid health insurance company to manage.
Hospitals will be audited to make sure they aren't "PADDING AND PASSING" and reducing these sometimes 6,000% markups!
so the key piece to NO cost increase to the government is the law to tax lawyers like tanning salons!
That is a difference maker!

Lawyers are the last bastion of a labor monopoly. Who else is making the rules? Someone find me a non-lawyer in Congress.....

Everyone hates lawyers until they need one.

How exactly would you go about enforcing a "salary cap" for lawyers?

lawyers $100 billions???? LMFOAO

FACTS FACTS FACTS!!!!
A) Top 100 firms in 2011 GROSSED $68,658,000,000 in revenue generated by
B) 85,535 lawyers.
The Am Law 100: Firms Ranked by Gross Revenue
C) An average revenue generation of 7.1 times the median pay of lawyers in 2010!
D) The Median pay of a lawyer in 2010 was $112,760 per year per lawyer http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm
E) Using the ratio of 7.1 times the median pay of $112,760 results in GROSS REVENUE of $582,994,004,200 in FEE REVENUE TO LAWYERS!!!

Lawyers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

So For the benefit of doubt... LET'S TAKE 1/2 of that figure and Conservatively estimate GROSS LEGAL FEES of $291.4 BILLION!
10% of $291 billion is $29 billion which if used to pay premium of every one of the truly 8 million uninsured would be almost $4,000 a year in premium!

Problem solved!!! TAX THE LAWYERS gross revenue of over $291.4 BILLION a year ... NOT my conservative $100 billion!!!

Last edited:
Why are you people So in favor of MILLIONAIRE lawyers causing the $850 billion a year in defensive medicine WHEN IT HITS YOUR pocketbook DIRECTLY????

Why are you so fervent in TAXING MILLIONAIRES and BILLIONAIRES YET when a logical plan such as I laid out..
A ) Tax the $250 billion a year lawyers make at 10%
B) Use the $25 billion to pay the premiums for the truly 8 million uninsured.
C) Force hospitals to send claims for Uninsured using the premiums paid by the tax on lawyers!

Doing that will
A) Reduce the $850 billion physicians AGREE THEY pay out of FEAR of lawsuits!
B) REduce hospitals that pad and pass on to insurance/Medicare sometimes at 6,000% markup to cover the uninsured costs.

These two actions would dramatically lower health care claims and in turn LOWER health insurance premiums!

Forum List

Back