I Want a Pet Owl

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Death Angel, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214

The wolf mixes have a rep for killing dogs that live in the same household. They're also dangerous to have around small kids. Just about every dog and/or dog/woolf mixes that attack children have owners say almost the exact same thing - 'I don't know. He was always fine before'. Other owners then say almost the exact same thing - 'I trust my well trained dog/wolf mix with my kids'.

Little kids make prey moves and prey sounds that can 'turn on' the predator response and next thing the owner knows is that the kid is dead.

I've had Harris' hawks kill each other. That's remarkable because they're the only raptor that is know to live and hunt in cooperative groups.

Recently, one tiger killed another when put together for breeding.

2. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214
    Its the opposite of a learned behavior and I wouldn't want to bet on being able to train it out of them.

3. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,717

I've been around a couple in my life, beautiful, sweet animals. But strong and still had a wild streak. They are definitely a hands on animal, and I'm not sure I'd have one around small children... say younger than 17...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214

5. Likkmee

Likkmee Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,600

6. ozro

ozro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +839
    I found a wounded barn owl out here a few years ago. I marked his location on my gps and called game and fish. they took him somewhere set up to rehabiltate him, prescott, az i think. anyway, he wasnt easy for them to get ahold of but they did. he had been shot in the wing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214

By eating rodents that would otherwise foul our grain stores, owls save us money at the grocery store.

Whether you eat meat or are vegetarian, grain has a huge 'role' in producing what you eat.

8. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214

Illegal to shoot them but people do. Glad you got him to a rehabber.

We seldom see raptors with leg/foot injuries because they can still fly. It often means they starve to death because they can't catch and hold prey. Common cause of foot and leg injuries is electrocution. One of the most heart breaking I've seen was a huge female red tail with legs that looked like sharpened pencils. Needless to say, I took her to the vet to be put down immediately.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,598
    Owls are super cool, but I don't think to have one as a pet is a good idea unless you have taken a few falconry classes or some kind of class on how to handle predator birds.

10. ozro

ozro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +839
    i see red tail hawks, bald eagles and of course ravens daily. once in awhile i spot a golden eagle or owl.
    the saddest thing i continue to see is dead ravens from people putting out rat poison, and the ravens will eat the body.
    when i first saw this happen, 3 ravens looked like they just say down on the ground and died. also called game and fish then.

i wish people wouldnt use poison like that. There are better ways, that dont killl birds

• Agree Agree x 1