I Want a Pet Owl

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Death Angel, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Likkmee

Likkmee Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,579
    Ironic the nat'l symbol is a dump buzzard

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Death Angel

Death Angel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,270
    Eagles are the most regal of the birds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crixus

Crixus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,946

It’s doable. Here in Texas you have to have a falconry certificate wrote you can get the bird. But folks use owls to hunt.

4. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,598
    Owls are raptors, so that makes a good case for having a falconry license.

5. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,598
    Teach one to fly backward and he then just says, "What?"

6. Death Angel

Death Angel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,270
    They don't even look like a bird. They look like a cat. Cool animal.

7. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214
    I do education programs and my own bird is a great horned owl. I can't tell you the number of times I've had someone say they want one too. Believe me, you really don't.

First, you must hold a federal license which isn't easy to get. There are certainly people who are willing to break the law to have a protected bird but it is a federal crime and one that's taken very seriously. Almost all birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and in some cases, the Lacey Act.

Then there are your own state's laws. Get the book from your state conservation agency.

Even if you're licensed, its really not easy to keep an owl (or hawk, falcon) healthy. They have a very specialized diet as well as housing needs. You can raise your own mice but that's one huge gawd-awful mess. If you buy mice, consider you'll need between 6 and 12. Every single day. My source costs $.75 each. Do the math.

They have certain cage requirements. The materials, substrate, size and so on. You could put a roof on your house using nothing but bird poop so buy the best power washer on the market. You'll need other special equipment.

Don't skimp on your raptor gloves. You wanna see my scars? Seriously. My hands are trashed. I've had several surgeries and I will always have problems.

You must work with the bird every single day. They're wild. They won't "love" you or sit on your lap while you read. You must fit yourself to them, not the other way around.

You'll need to find a vet who is ready and able to take on a patient as difficult as an owl.

There's a lot more to this but none of it means you cannot work with raptors, songbirds, mammals and reptiles. I'm licensed for all and I am grateful for the volunteers who work tirelessly for the animals. You can volunteer for a licensed rehabber and most do not require more hours than are convenient for you. You find one near you by calling your conservation agency, animal control or humane society. You can also hunt on line.

The Wildlife Rehabilitation Information Directory
    National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
    https://wildliferehabber.com/wildlife-agency-listing

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214
    After all I said about how difficult it is, omg, they are also a joy and utterly engaging - This is a group of successful releases.

Another thing - You must be ready to do some really disgusting things. Like, skinning and gut mice and rats, picking up roadkill, fuun stuff like that.

If you look at these photos, there's a story --- "yours is better than mine".

GHO3owlets.jpg GHO3owlets2.jpg GHO3owlets3.jpg GHO3owlets4.jpg

9. Luddly Neddite

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214
    More disgusting - This red tailed hawk had a head injury and had literally forgotten how to eat. This always amazes me but I'ce seen it so often - that if the animal is support nutritionally while the swelling of their brain abates, they can be saved. With this female, I had to skin mice and put them in a blender so I could tube feed.

This bird was heartbreaking. You can see her wildness and her terror. In her head, the only reason to be caught and held is to be killed and eaten. I've heard people say they know we're trying to help them to which I say hooey.

It gave me such huge satisfaction to release her.

Picture 143.jpg Picture 145.jpg Picture 146.jpg Picture 147.jpg Picture 148.jpg

Picture 144.jpg

10. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,714
    I want one of these:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2