I See Dead People

jreeves

Feb 12, 2008
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/your_money/consumer/090514_Dead_People_Get_Stimulus_Checks
This week, thousands of people are getting stimulus checks in the mail. The problem is that a lot of them are dead. A Long Island woman was shocked when she checked the mail and received a letter from the U.S. Treasury -- but it wasn't for her.

Antoniette Santopadre of Valley Stream was expecting a $250 stimulus check. But when her son finally opened it, they saw that the check was made out to her father, Romolo Romonini, who died in Italy 34 years ago. He'd been a U.S. citizen when he left for Italy in 1933, but only returned to the United States for a seven-month visit in 1969.

The Santopadres are not alone. The Social Security Administration, which sent out 52 million checks, says that some of those checks mistakenly went to dead people because the agency had no record of their death. That amounts to between 8,000 and 10,000 checks for millions of dollars.

The feds blame a rushed schedule, because all the checks have to be cut by June. The strange thing is, some of the checks were made out to people -- like Romonini -- who were never even part of the Social Security system.

The government is truly having a 'Sixth Sense' moment. How many billions do you think is being wasted in the Stimulus package? This is a thread where we can add up the waste that is the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. So I'll start, 2 million dollars wasted anyone else?

Last edited:
090514_Dead_People_Get_Stimulus_Checks
This week, thousands of people are getting stimulus checks in the mail. The problem is that a lot of them are dead. A Long Island woman was shocked when she checked the mail and received a letter from the U.S. Treasury -- but it wasn't for her.

Antoniette Santopadre of Valley Stream was expecting a $250 stimulus check. But when her son finally opened it, they saw that the check was made out to her father, Romolo Romonini, who died in Italy 34 years ago. He'd been a U.S. citizen when he left for Italy in 1933, but only returned to the United States for a seven-month visit in 1969.

The Santopadres are not alone. The Social Security Administration, which sent out 52 million checks, says that some of those checks mistakenly went to dead people because the agency had no record of their death. That amounts to between 8,000 and 10,000 checks for millions of dollars.

The feds blame a rushed schedule, because all the checks have to be cut by June. The strange thing is, some of the checks were made out to people -- like Romonini -- who were never even part of the Social Security system.

The government is truly having a 'Sixth Sense' moment. How many billions do you think is being wasted in the Stimulus package? This is a thread where we can add up the waste that is the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. So I'll start, 2 million dollars wasted anyone else?

Oh let's do blame Obama for this one too. Somebody must have been COLLECTING Social Security checks for that to happen. There's no doubt that fraud in the SS and the Medicare systems exist, but implying this glitch is caused by sloppyness by the current administration is dumb.

Oh let's do blame Obama for this one too. Somebody must have been COLLECTING Social Security checks for that to happen. There's no doubt that fraud in the SS and the Medicare systems exist, but implying this glitch is caused by sloppyness by the current administration is dumb.
The failure to be accurate is inherent in our incompetent government, regardless of the party in control.
Lets give them health care to fuck up also.
Know what I'm saying?

090514_Dead_People_Get_Stimulus_Checks

It was his 'stimulus bill' correct? Don't you think safeguards should have been in place to prevent squandering nearly 2.5 million dollars of taxpayer money or borrowed money(ever how you want to look at it)? Also, it doesn't appear any citizens or individuals were trying to commit fraud, but I'm sure a $250 check might encourage a few to cash it.

Last edited:
The failure to be accurate is inherent in our incompetent government, regardless of the party in control.
Know what I'm saying?

Sure, I know what you are saying. Then we might be like those poor Europeans, and have longer healthier lifespans, and much more healthy babies. And there would be no health care organization CEO's collecting tens of million dollar salaries for figuring ways not to cover clients health problems.

That is the present health care reality. The other nations are doing a better job for their citizens at about 1/2 the cost per citizen.

Know what I'm saying?

Sure, I know what you are saying. Then we might be like those poor Europeans, and have longer healthier lifespans, and much more healthy babies. And there would be no health care organization CEO's collecting tens of million dollar salaries for figuring ways not to cover clients health problems.

That is the present health care reality. The other nations are doing a better job for their citizens at about 1/2 the cost per citizen.

Might be waiting 6 months for a simple MRI or dying from diseases that private medical corporations are now providing research dollars to prevent. Oh wait that's universal healthcare...opps my bad...

Know what I'm saying?

As soon as 100% of the US citizens are willing to pony up their fair and equal share, I am more than willing to let us all have the same health care plan our congressmen have. I live close enough to Duke University that you won't have to fly me in if I get a brain tumor like Mr Kennedy.

Know what I'm saying?

Might be waiting 6 months for a simple MRI or dying from diseases that private medical corporations are now providing research dollars to prevent. Oh wait that's universal healthcare...opps my bad...

Or dying in the streets due to starvation because our government spent so much money that our currency isn't good for anything except toilet paper.....

New Topics

Forum List

Back