I Owe Conservative Christians An Apology

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I have been in some rows with some of my friends who are Christian conservatives in the past, over numerous issues that I'm sure will come up again at a later date. I have never much gotten along with them in the political arena. However, Franklin Graham and a whole lot of other folks who are proud to be Christian conservatives have been steadily changing my mind and opinion of their movement for the past six months. What caused this change?

DARFUR.

You folks have been incredible! Inspring, to be honest. Some of the people that e-mail and write me most often about the genocide there are Christian conservatives. You all have put aside longstanding disputes with other groups and united with many other people to help stop the genocide and help the survivors. You have stood up for justice, and helped influence the Bush administration to condemn what's been happening as genocide.

So I'm sorry for being so spiteful in the past with some of you. I still disagree quite often, but I have gained a whole lot of respect in the past six months for what you all do (not just on Darfur either, but on human rights, human trafficking, AIDS, etc etc).

Thank you for taking such a strong stand and assisting and encouraging others to do the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
That's why this atheist sides with the Christian conservatives.

Too many other groups of people try to rationalize their way out of even dealing with the maladies of planet Earth. Try to talk and talk until the problem goes away or everyone forgets about it.

On the other hand, there's a christian conservative in the White House supported by christian conservatives around the country, who is at least willing to try and do the right thing.

So shines a good deed in a weary world.

it's funny that Vladdy Putin's dad was ALSO named Vladimir. :)

Владимир Владимирович Путин

NATO AIR said:
I have been in some rows with some of my friends who are Christian conservatives in the past, over numerous issues that I'm sure will come up again at a later date. I have never much gotten along with them in the political arena. However, Franklin Graham and a whole lot of other folks who are proud to be Christian conservatives have been steadily changing my mind and opinion of their movement for the past six months. What caused this change?

DARFUR.

You folks have been incredible! Inspring, to be honest. Some of the people that e-mail and write me most often about the genocide there are Christian conservatives. You all have put aside longstanding disputes with other groups and united with many other people to help stop the genocide and help the survivors. You have stood up for justice, and helped influence the Bush administration to condemn what's been happening as genocide.

So I'm sorry for being so spiteful in the past with some of you. I still disagree quite often, but I have gained a whole lot of respect in the past six months for what you all do (not just on Darfur either, but on human rights, human trafficking, AIDS, etc etc).

Thank you for taking such a strong stand and assisting and encouraging others to do the same.

Hey Nato...I think I picked up that you were 21..right?
Well..as far as I can tell you're doing fine for 21...Serving your country
and exploring life..wisely. Don't be too serious just yet,
take it all in and grow.

I Salute you young man!
Your Pal,
Mr. P

*And ole CW2*

Mr. P said:
Hey Nato...I think I picked up that you were 21..right?
Well..as far as I can tell you're doing fine for 21...Serving your country
and exploring life..wisely. Don't be too serious just yet,
take it all in and grow.

I Salute you young man!
Your Pal,
Mr. P

*And ole CW2*
I just tried to rep NATO's post, told to 'spread more' before doing again! Ah well, in spite of Padisha's and other's opinions of me, I am NOT a virus or bacterium. Mr. P, you said the exact same thing to NATO that I wanted to!

NATO, you are smart and normal, for a smart young person. The very young should be idealistic! Some of that you need to keep. At the same time, an adult needs to have a core of reality and logic-that is where the conservatism hits home. I am so proud of our young, especially those like NATO that choose to serve, educate themselves and others, (including me), while still keeping a sense of perspective. Salute!

gop_jeff said:
Well this self-proclaimed Christian conservative (actually evangelical Christian) says you're welcome! :D

thank you for pointing that out gop_jeff. there is no monolithic conservative christian base (though the mass media claims otherwise) there are some differences between various groups here.

it is just interesting to see the great good that has come out of this diverse movement in the past 4 years. great progress on AIDS (15 billion dollars!), war (ending slavery in south sudan, promoting a peace treaty, fighting genocide in Darfur) and human trafficking (pres. bush's historic speech before the UN last year). much of this stems from the increasing innovation and open-mindedness shown by evangelists...

as Franklin Graham (son of Billy) has said, "we're in an emergency, and during an emergency, we don't "qualify" our friends and allies. their goals are the same, though their methods and ideas may be different, and saving lives is more important to me than winning an argument."
and to back him up
as ronald reagan said, "a hungry (or dying) child knows no politics."

oh and CWO2, we need you here! our CWO2 is going thru a nasty divorce and is never around to sign chits and authorize special liberty....

thank you kathianne!

Forum List

Back