I hope cable TV dies!

Beware the satellite providers teaser offers.

They'll offer a bargain price for a fixed period. Sometimes six months or even a year at a very low cost but tied to a two year contract with a huge price escalator once the teaser period is over.

They'll throw in free HBO or similar for some shorter period, maybe 30, 60, 90 days but if you don't cancel the service at exactly the right time you'll get socket with huge bills and may find yourself stuck with cancellation charges.

I have noticed you have to sign a contract. I don't usually like doing that but might reconsider to get rid of cable. I will still need them for my Internet. I have time-warner right now but thinking of going to att uverse for Internet.
TImewarner is #10 of 10 top cable companies.

My GF has it and it sucks.

Don't sweat contracts, in this day and age, contracts are made to be broken, there is no honor.

Sign up, after the first period of the contract, get a supervisor in billing, and just tell them to get the service at a price you can afford or cancel.

Got Direct TV down from $95 to $60.

They'll offer a bargain price for a fixed period. Sometimes six months or even a year at a very low cost but tied to a two year contract with a huge price escalator once the teaser period is over.

They'll throw in free HBO or similar for some shorter period, maybe 30, 60, 90 days but if you don't cancel the service at exactly the right time you'll get socket with huge bills and may find yourself stuck with cancellation charges.

I have noticed you have to sign a contract. I don't usually like doing that but might reconsider to get rid of cable. I will still need them for my Internet. I have time-warner right now but thinking of going to att uverse for Internet.
TImewarner is #10 of 10 top cable companies.

My GF has it and it sucks.

Don't sweat contracts, in this day and age, contracts are made to be broken, there is no honor.

Sign up, after the first period of the contract, get a supervisor in billing, and just tell them to get the service at a price you can afford or cancel.

Got Direct TV down from $95 to $60.

thank you. I'll check them out

I've been considering going to dish. I had a very bad experience with it in Alaska and am hesitant. but I am sick of being ripped off by cable and paying for repetitive channels that I don't want or watch

I've used DISH in three different states and found it better than cable almost always. Almost because, in one case, the "look angle" was so low that it skimmed the horizon and a storm 100 miles South would wipe out reception. There cable was better but was so expensive that using the satellite was worth the occasional outage. In one other state the look angle was better but occasional snow would accumulate on the dish which, since it was on the roof, was hard to clear. Finally I kept a hose attached to the water heater and when the dish packed up would just rinse it off with hot water. It didn't seem to mind light ice - but more than 1/2 inch of snow would kill it.

But satellite TV has the same problem as cable - to get what you want you have to buy (and pay for) tons of crap you'll never watch. That's not entirely the fault of the providers as many of the program providers require cable outfits to buy their junk "networks" in order to get access to the ones most people prefer to watch. Legislating just against the cable/satellite outfits will be futile so long as they're required to buy stuff nobody wants.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. I just can't justify the price for cable anymore and my guy just went out on medical from Ford with a broken hip and might need open heart surgery next... so we'll be in a tighter budget for awhile
Good luck to you and your guy, Steph! Hope things work out.

I've been considering going to dish. I had a very bad experience with it in Alaska and am hesitant. but I am sick of being ripped off by cable and paying for repetitive channels that I don't want or watch
i had the Dish.....they did not let you pick what you wanted in their packages....at least at that time.....

Yes, I know that but they look a lot cheaper. We already have two dishes on the house we rent. A medium and a smaller one so I figured it wouldn't be hard to change. It's just getting over my experience with it from living up in Alaska. It would go off for a week at a time and living up there in 50 below zero that's how I got addicted to the internet..lol
50 below is not living!!!

and you can add to that 20 hours of darkness. see a little light from 11am to 3pm

I've used DISH in three different states and found it better than cable almost always. Almost because, in one case, the "look angle" was so low that it skimmed the horizon and a storm 100 miles South would wipe out reception. There cable was better but was so expensive that using the satellite was worth the occasional outage. In one other state the look angle was better but occasional snow would accumulate on the dish which, since it was on the roof, was hard to clear. Finally I kept a hose attached to the water heater and when the dish packed up would just rinse it off with hot water. It didn't seem to mind light ice - but more than 1/2 inch of snow would kill it.

But satellite TV has the same problem as cable - to get what you want you have to buy (and pay for) tons of crap you'll never watch. That's not entirely the fault of the providers as many of the program providers require cable outfits to buy their junk "networks" in order to get access to the ones most people prefer to watch. Legislating just against the cable/satellite outfits will be futile so long as they're required to buy stuff nobody wants.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. I just can't justify the price for cable anymore and my guy just went out on medical from Ford with a broken hip and might need open heart surgery next... so we'll be in a tighter budget for awhile
Good luck to you and your guy, Steph! Hope things work out.

Thank you dear. We go in to see about the heart in the next few weeks.

DAMN.... Please extend my wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you dear

Living fine without cable myself. Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime and a good old fashion antenna is just fine by me.

:eek-52:

That's not even possible in most places, nowadays. Man, how I long for the old days.

BTW, particularly Steph....

My Alaska experience with DISH was when I lived in Nome for several years. It required a 1.5 meter dish mounted on the side of the upper story of a very tall house. Houses there shift each winter so the aim was constantly in flux. When the picture would start regularly pixellating I'd have to shut the cat in another room, open a window alongside the dish, lean out with a socket wrench on a pole to loosen the mounts and gently nudge the dish back into position. Lots of fun at -40 F. Generally took about 20 minutes and was good for typically a month before the house shifted again. Yeah, it was the house, not the dish, shifting. Sometimes a loose marble on the floor would sit there. Other time it would roll to the North; other times to the South. Damn thing never settled down and had to be professionally leveled about every other year 'cause the variation was up around six inches side-to-side.

You would be surprised how much you can cut off the bill if you call Direct TV, after the initial bargains expire, and ask for a supervisor, and just tell them, lower price or cancel the service.

I have done it with AT&T, Direct TV and Hughesnet.

Even got a big discount on my last load of propane.
i had the Dish.....when U-Verse came to the door i told them beat the Dish and im yours......they beat the Dish.....i laughed at Time-Warner Cable.....

Cable companies are at fault for not offering to sell programming a la carte. As it stands you have to buy a package stuffed with crap you don't want in order to get the few channels you actually watch.

Want internet with sufficient bandwidth and allowable usage (without additional big charges) to enjoy Hulu/Netflix/etc programming? To get it you have to buy a cable TV package or pay a commercial rate.

There's word on the fringes of the industry that revisions are going to start appearing after the first of the year as subscribers are already in rebellion.
they still are not responsible for what shows the Networks produce.....as Jake implied....

yikes.....i hope everything turns out ok for you folks Steph....

TW does the same thing.........

i had TW for Internet.....lots of outages.....since i have had U-Verse i have not had the net go down...... 3 years so far.....TW sucks pretty bad.........

Cable companies are at fault for not offering to sell programming a la carte. As it stands you have to buy a package stuffed with crap you don't want in order to get the few channels you actually watch.

Want internet with sufficient bandwidth and allowable usage (without additional big charges) to enjoy Hulu/Netflix/etc programming? To get it you have to buy a cable TV package or pay a commercial rate.

There's word on the fringes of the industry that revisions are going to start appearing after the first of the year as subscribers are already in rebellion.

Bull. The whole idea behind cable tv in the 80s was no commercials. We paid for something we don't have. Now,it's all claims for frivilous lawsuits and whatever stupid designer drug with a 5 minute disclaimer you want. They'll be part of the lawsuits in a few years.

Just call me old. I remember when the weather channel actually reported the weather and MTV actually played music videos.

Nothing but a wasteland of crappy reality shows. Hopefully people will go for quality like HBO or Netflix. Pay TV is the future!

5 Packages That Will Replace Pay TV as We Know It - 1

Yes Netflix And Hulu Are Starting To Kill Cable

Who Actually Still Watches TV The Old
The grave is being dug as we speak.
I give CATV as we know it 10 years max.
Not unless someone can deliver it over the internet in the same format and function.

Nothing but a wasteland of crappy reality shows. Hopefully people will go for quality like HBO or Netflix. Pay TV is the future!

5 Packages That Will Replace Pay TV as We Know It - 1

Yes Netflix And Hulu Are Starting To Kill Cable

Who Actually Still Watches TV The Old
The grave is being dug as we speak.
I give CATV as we know it 10 years max.
Not unless someone can deliver it over the internet in the same format and function.
They already do.

Cable has to contend with that or die. You can get your TV completely free through bit torrent or go through a provider such as hulu or netflix. there is almost no point whatsoever to pay for the garbage that they sell you anymore. I have not had cable for almost a decade now and have no plans on ever going back. I cant watch anything that is saturated with commercials anymore - its downright annoying.

I still don't understand what is keeping them around other than pure habit of purchasing TV.

Forum List

Back