I hope cable TV dies!

Last edited:
Cable companies are at fault for not offering to sell programming a la carte. As it stands you have to buy a package stuffed with crap you don't want in order to get the few channels you actually watch.

Want internet with sufficient bandwidth and allowable usage (without additional big charges) to enjoy Hulu/Netflix/etc programming? To get it you have to buy a cable TV package or pay a commercial rate.

There's word on the fringes of the industry that revisions are going to start appearing after the first of the year as subscribers are already in rebellion.

I've been considering going to dish. I had a very bad experience with it in Alaska and am hesitant. but I am sick of being ripped off by cable and paying for repetitive channels that I don't want or watch

I've been considering going to dish. I had a very bad experience with it in Alaska and am hesitant. but I am sick of being ripped off by cable and paying for repetitive channels that I don't want or watch

I've used DISH in three different states and found it better than cable almost always. Almost because, in one case, the "look angle" was so low that it skimmed the horizon and a storm 100 miles South would wipe out reception. There cable was better but was so expensive that using the satellite was worth the occasional outage. In one other state the look angle was better but occasional snow would accumulate on the dish which, since it was on the roof, was hard to clear. Finally I kept a hose attached to the water heater and when the dish packed up would just rinse it off with hot water. It didn't seem to mind light ice - but more than 1/2 inch of snow would kill it.

But satellite TV has the same problem as cable - to get what you want you have to buy (and pay for) tons of crap you'll never watch. That's not entirely the fault of the providers as many of the program providers require cable outfits to buy their junk "networks" in order to get access to the ones most people prefer to watch. Legislating just against the cable/satellite outfits will be futile so long as they're required to buy stuff nobody wants.

As long as the major viewers include the "stupid" people who vote for liberal/progressive agendas and representatives (as recently noted by one of their own "leaders"), schlock as you describe will persist as the primary mindless, soulless fodder consumed by viewers. Would it surprise you to know that I only watch TV when forced to? (Sunday evening when visiting friends. She cannot live without the boob-tube. He and I used to play cribbage every Sunday evening after dinner. She can't count out, so she hates the game.)

I've used DISH in three different states and found it better than cable almost always. Almost because, in one case, the "look angle" was so low that it skimmed the horizon and a storm 100 miles South would wipe out reception. There cable was better but was so expensive that using the satellite was worth the occasional outage. In one other state the look angle was better but occasional snow would accumulate on the dish which, since it was on the roof, was hard to clear. Finally I kept a hose attached to the water heater and when the dish packed up would just rinse it off with hot water. It didn't seem to mind light ice - but more than 1/2 inch of snow would kill it.

But satellite TV has the same problem as cable - to get what you want you have to buy (and pay for) tons of crap you'll never watch. That's not entirely the fault of the providers as many of the program providers require cable outfits to buy their junk "networks" in order to get access to the ones most people prefer to watch. Legislating just against the cable/satellite outfits will be futile so long as they're required to buy stuff nobody wants.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. I just can't justify the price for cable anymore and my guy just went out on medical from Ford with a broken hip and might need open heart surgery next... so we'll be in a tighter budget for awhile

Beware the satellite providers teaser offers.

They'll offer a bargain price for a fixed period. Sometimes six months or even a year at a very low cost but tied to a two year contract with a huge price escalator once the teaser period is over.

They'll throw in free HBO or similar for some shorter period, maybe 30, 60, 90 days but if you don't cancel the service at exactly the right time you'll get socket with huge bills and may find yourself stuck with cancellation charges.

They'll offer a bargain price for a fixed period. Sometimes six months or even a year at a very low cost but tied to a two year contract with a huge price escalator once the teaser period is over.

They'll throw in free HBO or similar for some shorter period, maybe 30, 60, 90 days but if you don't cancel the service at exactly the right time you'll get socket with huge bills and may find yourself stuck with cancellation charges.

I have noticed you have to sign a contract. I don't usually like doing that but might reconsider to get rid of cable. I will still need them for my Internet. I have time-warner right now but thinking of going to att uverse for Internet.

Living fine without cable myself. Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime and a good old fashion antenna is just fine by me.

I have heard of all those but not real up on how they work. did a little rersearching on it and my friends have it.

We used to have good stuff like 24 and Battlestar Galactica now we have Keeping up with the Kardashians. Where did we go wrong?

People hate guns and action shows now? Reality TV is pointless and stupid! I would rather watch an exciting action show with exciting gunfights!

i had the Dish.....they did not let you pick what you wanted in their packages....at least at that time.....

As long as the major viewers include the "stupid" people who vote for liberal/progressive agendas and representatives (as recently noted by one of their own "leaders"), schlock as you describe will persist as the primary mindless, soulless fodder consumed by viewers. Would it surprise you to know that I only watch TV when forced to? (Sunday evening when visiting friends. She cannot live without the boob-tube. He and I used to play cribbage every Sunday evening after dinner. She can't count out, so she hates the game.)
yea righties dont watch the same shit as lefties.....geezus.....

i had the Dish.....they did not let you pick what you wanted in their packages....at least at that time.....

Yes, I know that but they look a lot cheaper. We already have two dishes on the house we rent. A medium and a smaller one so I figured it wouldn't be hard to change. It's just getting over my experience with it from living up in Alaska. It would go off for a week at a time and living up there in 50 below zero that's how I got addicted to the internet..lol

You would be surprised how much you can cut off the bill if you call Direct TV, after the initial bargains expire, and ask for a supervisor, and just tell them, lower price or cancel the service.

I have done it with AT&T, Direct TV and Hughesnet.

Even got a big discount on my last load of propane.

Yes, I know that but they look a lot cheaper. We already have two dishes on the house we rent. A medium and a smaller one so I figured it wouldn't be hard to change. It's just getting over my experience with it from living up in Alaska. It would go off for a week at a time and living up there in 50 below zero that's how I got addicted to the internet..lol
50 below is not living!!!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. I just can't justify the price for cable anymore and my guy just went out on medical from Ford with a broken hip and might need open heart surgery next... so we'll be in a tighter budget for awhile
DAMN.... Please extend my wishes for a speedy recovery.

Forum List

Back