I have a question for a person who is Pro-Life

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by rosends, Oct 24, 2012.

1. rosends

rosends VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have a serious question for someone who is of the belief that abortion is wrong because actual life begins at conception.

I am not judging sides and my own personal view is unimportant. Also, my question is not meant to be facetious -- I really have worked through the moral implications mentioned here, so I ask anyone who is truly and sincerely pro-life to please give me a few seconds, consider what I am asking and help me understand your position in this regard:

As you feel that life begins at conception, and the fetus needs protections on the level of any other human being against harm and not just death, would you accept the notion that alcohol, excessive sugary foods and smoking should be criminalized for pregnant women as they lead to fetal damage? Can a woman who is pro-life be ethically consistent and yet smoke during pregnancy?

As an extension, should any behavior the woman exhibits be considered as if she was holding a 1 year old in her arms so that a charge of child endangerment could be sustained if the woman acts in a reckless way which might endanger the fetus?

These are serious questions which, to my mind are logical continuations of the idea that the fetus needs protections as a person.

Thanks in advance for thoughtful answers.

2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    sugary foods ??..get a grip..if a woman is seriously abusing a substance that will in all likeliehood will cause serious damage to a unborn child i would hope their would be intervention from a mental health authority because clearly the woman is not well

3. rosends

rosends VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    admittedly, I am taking it to an extreme but excessive weight gain during pregnancy is a risk factor for gestational diabetes which puts a child at risk. And if we can say that too much junk/unhealthy food is not good for a "person", and were she feeding this to her older children, she would be held accountable for malnourishment, would the same be true here?

4. PixieStix

PixieStix Coal Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    I know you think that you thought this out before posting it. But please think a little longer.

We as human beings should not be in the business of advocating murder in or out of the womb.

Abortion is unfortunately legal. So your argument to make getting fat and eating too much sugar illegal, is just dumb

5. rosends

rosends VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    the question was very clearly thought out. if you feel fixated on the extreme argument regarding gestational diabetes then skip it. i am asking about an ethical position and its implications. if you cannot work with me and provide a thoughtful answer then just move to the next post.

6. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    These threads never go well.

Kg will be in in a moment to call you a baby killer, and then someone will post 37 links to blog and prolife sites that talk about partial birth abortion, forced abortion, and the evils of planned parenthood.

7. PixieStix

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    Fixated on the extreme argument? You are the one that posed the question dear, not me :eusa_whistle:

8. rosends

rosends VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    let me try again -- you seem troubled by the aspect of my question about the foods. if so, i ask you to skip that part. the other prongs hold -- if a child in utero deserves protection against harm, then is there an ethical way to allow smoking by a pregnant women?

9. PixieStix

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,259
    Yeah, it is called freedom to "choose". A word that most like to tout as their own. But she does have the freedom to choose. An informed choice at that.

Most moms I have known, choose to quit while pregnant, if they do not, you are claiming they should be prosecuted for something? Or sent to hell? I am not sure what you are trying to do here

10. rosends

rosends VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I am simply trying to establish an ethical platform and see how it applies to other cases. It is a basic practice when testing ethics -- it developed from a classroom discussion about the ethics of pre-genetic testing. We started wondering about the consequences of considering the fetus as a person. I am not talking about "going to hell" but about ethical consistency.