I Had Sexual Harassment Training Today

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
The usual slide show and video in a conference room type of thing. Two things caught my attention, though.

First, we saw a video with about five different scenarios depicting sexual harassment. Every offender in the video was a white male (and in one case, a female). And every reasonable and professional co-worker, or HR exec handling the problem, was black or Hispanic.

Second, it was repeatedly emphasized that if you are accused of harassment, your intentions are completely irrelevant. You can make a statement in a room full of people who have no problem with what you said, but if just one person "feels" offended, you can be charged with harassment.

Oh, and we were told that Diversity Training is next on the horizon, so we can be sure to appreciate and be sensitive to all cultures.

Abbey Normal said:
The usual slide show and video in a conference room type of thing. Two things caught my attention, though.

First, we saw a video with about five different scenarios depicting sexual harassment. Every offender in the video was a white male (and in one case, a female). And every reasonable and professional co-worker, or HR exec handling the problem, was black or Hispanic.

Second, it was repeatedly emphasized that if you are accused of harassment, your intentions are completely irrelevant. You can make a statement in a room full of people who have no problem with what you said, but if just one person "feels" offended, you can be charged with harassment.

Oh, and we were told that Diversity Training is next on the horizon, so we can be sure to appreciate and be sensitive to all cultures.

Did you pass?

Ha ha ha ha...

Some of this sexual harrassment theory is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but if I see you walking down the hall, and I think you look nice, I'm going to tell you that you look nice today.

Abbey Normal said:

I had to undergo the same garbage when I worked for the state of Wisconsin. What a waste of time.

Blacks and hispanics making the presentation, and whites being depicted as the "bad guys" doesn't surprize me though. That's liberalism at work. I think I'd have told them that I was "offended" by their video.

GotZoom said:
I'm sorry, but if I see you walking down the hall, and I think you look nice, I'm going to tell you that you look nice today.

NOT harrassment. :)

Lesson 2 - Recognizing Sexual Harassment
Now it's time to get more specific about what sexual harassment is and how to recognize it. Although there are a lot of fuzzy areas, when you finish this lesson you should be able to identify the behaviors that a reasonable person might object to that might lead to a charge of sexual harassment.

In the previous lesson we listed the three conditions that define sexual harassment;

the behavior must be:

unwelcome

physical, verbal or non-verbal

sexual in nature and affecting only one sex

Today, the courts generally look at the behavior itself and whether it could reasonably be expected to cause others embarrassment or humiliation, or otherwise have a negative impact on their work.
The standard the Supreme Court used in their November 1993 decision is the "reasonable person" test, would a reasonable person have been offended or intimidated or humiliated by that behavior to the extent that it had a negative impact on his or her work.

If questions about your sexual experiences are not offensive to you, then you personally have not been sexually harassed. However, if another individual reasonably finds those questions embarrassing or demeaning, then that behavior may well be sexual harassment.

Compliments are not illegal, but if your compliments are on the size of a woman's breasts, you are in trouble. Moreover, if you seem to focus on her/his appearance more than on her/his work, then you may also have a problem

the definition of sexual harassment:

Physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature becomes sexual harassment when such behavior has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with the employee's work performance or when such behavior creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment.

dmp said:
NOT harrassment. :)
I have seen and heard of cases where the person complimented felt uneasy about the complimentor - said there was no reason for him to say that to her, her appearance has no bearing on her ability to do the job, etc...

Basic B.S.

GotZoom said:
I have seen and heard of cases where the person complimented felt uneasy about the complimentor - said there was no reason for him to say that to her, her appearance has no bearing on her ability to do the job, etc...

Basic B.S.

Right - perhaps inappropriate, but not 'harrassement' per se.

GotZoom said:

Basic B.S.

All the examples I've heard is when someone requests that you don't comment on how they look, yet you continue to do it. I doubt you'd succeed with a SH suit for a one-time "you look nice, this morning" comment.

Abbey Normal said:

Such crock. Nothing more than the beginnings of re-education camps by the marxist left.

It totally amazes me (not really) how liberals can pay attention to the minutest wisp of inappropriate sexual harrassment speech (plus racial speech, anti-gay speech, etc.) yet they are absolutely no-holds barred when speaking about President Bush. Is this not the height of hypocrisy?

Here is a list of the many nicknames liberals use for GWB. Shouldn't bunnypants, chucklenuts, towel boy, or wanker-in-chief be considered sexual harassment? :whip3:

http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/index.php/George_W._Bush:Nicknames

The ClayTaurus said:
All the examples I've heard is when someone requests that you don't comment on how they look, yet you continue to do it. I doubt you'd succeed with a SH suit for a one-time "you look nice, this morning" comment.

The military, in their infinite wisdom, directed this. If someone wore their "blues" or we saw them in civilian clothes at an "organized" event, we were told not to comment on their appearance.

Of course, this was back in the early 90's.

Still B.S.

If I have to do sexual harrassment training, I may have to intentionally fail just by saying things that are judged "insensitive" by these ninnies but are part of normal conversation.

Such things as "suck my balls" and "kiss my butt."

I think women who claim sexual harrassment when a man tells them they smell nice or look good are ridiculous. Just take your compliment like a normal person and go your merry way! But when a guy grabs your humps, lumps or shows you his junk, then maybe you've got a case.:laugh:

yesterday i said to one one of the girls here that i had xray vision and could see through her clothes....she callled bullshyte......i said well i can see you naked in my head....she asked what she looked like....i said paz vega....she laughed.....

think i will get in trouble?

Abbey Normal said:

Diversity training in a nutshell

White = former slave owners
Straight = homophobic
Male = patiarchal, oppressive, chauvanistic, and dumb
Fundamentalist Christians = narrow minded, self righteous
Conservatives = conspiring to tear down our fundamental rights

Hobbit said:
If I have to do sexual harrassment training, I may have to intentionally fail just by saying things that are judged "insensitive" by these ninnies but are part of normal conversation.

Such things as "suck my balls" and "kiss my butt."

"Suck my balls" is part of normal conversation?

And do you actually say "kiss my butt"???

Forum List

Back