I grew up out doors then domesticated,now trying to get back into out door sports!

evenflow1969

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2016
Ohio
Now after being Dad and doing very little other than the kids activities out side I am getting back into hunting and fishing. I am also returning to golf and basketball. I had no clue how much I had forgotten in these activities. I no longer posses the skills and knowlege that use to come second nature to me. I wonder if any of you are experiencing the same!

My oldest son turned 35 today. For a few years now when I opened the trunk of my car it hits me that in there are no baseball bat nor glove, no hockey stick or skates, no basketball. No golf clubs nor tennis racket. Not even a Frisbee.

My oldest son turned 35 today. For a few years now when I opened the trunk of my car it hits me that in there are no baseball bat nor glove, no hockey stick or skates, no basketball. No golf clubs nor tennis racket. Not even a Frisbee.
I guess we are the only two experiencing this. It is a major change, all I did for 25 years was the kids stuff. Now there is none of that to do and some of the things I liked doing prior to having kids I have lost those skills and the activity is ot as fun as it use to be. How do you deal with this?

I've slowed down to walking the dogs and hitting the archery range on occasion along with yardwork and keeping clean the garage. Up until a few months ago I never read fiction but now I'm into John Grisham novels. It's been 36 years since I left Ohio but try to keep up with the happenings of the Tribe and Browns along with the D-Backs and football Cardinals.

I've slowed down to walking the dogs and hitting the archery range on occasion along with yardwork and keeping clean the garage. Up until a few months ago I never read fiction but now I'm into John Grisham novels. It's been 36 years since I left Ohio but try to keep up with the happenings of the Tribe and Browns along with the D-Backs and football Cardinals.
I am also from Ohio. I have started fishing and golfing again. I do not enjoy it like I used to but it is a start. I bought a home that is need of major repair and that should keep me buisy for a while. I sided it and roofed it this week with a buddy of mine. We were feeling our age going up and down those ladders. I have tried to find people to play cards with but that seems difficult these days!

I gave up pretty much "everything" except running while my son was growing up. Then, when he quit sports at age 16, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands. And that was a GOOD thing. That happened when I was about 50, and I'm 68 now.

I joined a neighborhood bowling league (with my wife). I was not a very good bowler (160-165) when I stopped bowling at age 22 (when I got married and moved out of state), and when I started back I was a little bit worse. Over a year or two I actually read a book on bowling - I had never looked at it seriously - and brought myself up to the 190-195 level, where I remain. I still bowl in a league with my wife, but also bowl in a slightly-more-competitive mens' league.

I renewed my enjoyment for playing tennis, mostly doubles. I joined a group that plays every Saturday morning, and joined a neighborhood "ladder" that allows me to play singles when I want to. I took a few lessons to bring myself up to a tolerable level, but really, with tennis, if you look around you can find people "at your level" to play with, no matter how good or bad you happen to be. The important thing is to get out and experience some competition.

I took up golf, which is a mixed thing to be sure. A lot of fun and a lot of aggravation and frustration as well. My wife golfs with me once a week or so, but I also golf with a group of men (all retired now), and in a 9-hole league. During Summer, I probably golf 3 times a week - two nine-hole sessions and one full round of 18.

I have two pretty good bicycles and I ride at least once a week, on roads with one and in hilly parks with the mountain bike. Nothing serious, but where I live in Western Pennsylvania, there is no such thing as a completely relaxed ride. You are always doing hills, some of them killer hills, no matter what. Road biking is near the top of things I enjoy doing, although statistically it's probably the most dangerous.

As you might expect, a perpetual flow of minor injuries prevents me from doing just about everything from time to time, except bowling, but I work through the injuries and within a month or so, am back to tennis, biking, or whatever. I stopped running a few years ago when an injury kept me from it for a while and I did some research that made me conclude that it is a very questionable way to get exercise. Details if you like.

I gave up pretty much "everything" except running while my son was growing up. Then, when he quit sports at age 16, I found myself with a lot of time on my hands. And that was a GOOD thing. That happened when I was about 50, and I'm 68 now.

I joined a neighborhood bowling league (with my wife). I was not a very good bowler (160-165) when I stopped bowling at age 22 (when I got married and moved out of state), and when I started back I was a little bit worse. Over a year or two I actually read a book on bowling - I had never looked at it seriously - and brought myself up to the 190-195 level, where I remain. I still bowl in a league with my wife, but also bowl in a slightly-more-competitive mens' league.

I renewed my enjoyment for playing tennis, mostly doubles. I joined a group that plays every Saturday morning, and joined a neighborhood "ladder" that allows me to play singles when I want to. I took a few lessons to bring myself up to a tolerable level, but really, with tennis, if you look around you can find people "at your level" to play with, no matter how good or bad you happen to be. The important thing is to get out and experience some competition.

I took up golf, which is a mixed thing to be sure. A lot of fun and a lot of aggravation and frustration as well. My wife golfs with me once a week or so, but I also golf with a group of men (all retired now), and in a 9-hole league. During Summer, I probably golf 3 times a week - two nine-hole sessions and one full round of 18.

I have two pretty good bicycles and I ride at least once a week, on roads with one and in hilly parks with the mountain bike. Nothing serious, but where I live in Western Pennsylvania, there is no such thing as a completely relaxed ride. You are always doing hills, some of them killer hills, no matter what. Road biking is near the top of things I enjoy doing, although statistically it's probably the most dangerous.

As you might expect, a perpetual flow of minor injuries prevents me from doing just about everything from time to time, except bowling, but I work through the injuries and within a month or so, am back to tennis, biking, or whatever. I stopped running a few years ago when an injury kept me from it for a while and I did some research that made me conclude that it is a very questionable way to get exercise. Details if you like.
Thank you, you give me hope that I can again find that young guy inside of me. I will keep trying to integrate an out door life style!
PS. I am going to see an old flame for first time in over twenty years this week end! Wish me luck!

Forum List

Back