I don't understand the "take a knee" thing...

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Most of the time, whenever there is a protest of some kind, I might not agree with the protest but I can understand the dynamics. This whole entire NFL "take a knee" thing is completely baffling to me on several fronts.

First, I am not clear on what exactly is being protested. Some say it's "police brutality" but there is no specific incident or event. Some say it's about racial oppression but how are multi-millionaire NFL players being oppressed? If anything, the NFL is the epitome of the opposite. It seems we are supposed to acknowledge some sort of "injustice" here but it's not really clear what that is.

Then, there is the issue of HOW this phantom problem is being protested. Somehow, disrespecting the national anthem and flag is an appropropriate response to... whatever. I don't understand the tie to racism or oppression that is being implied. The national anthem and flag have never been symbols of racism or oppression, in fact, they are symbols of the diametric opposite.

Some will argue it's a "freedom of speech" issue... NO, it's not! The First Amendment of the Constitution protects your right to speak from STATE action. This is the workplace... you have no "free speech" right. The NFL is not the state or government.

Finally, and probably most importantly... what the hell is the end game here? Generally speaking, a protest has some sort of intended resolve. There is some measure being sought. Some remedy is being pursued. With this ordeal, what exactly is that? What are the protesters hoping to accomplish and how will we know when it has been achieved?

Not only has this not made a lick of sense to me, with the advent of Trump's comments at an Alabama campaign rally, it seems to have thrown gasoline on the protest fires all across the NFL. It's now beginning to look as if this is purely a partisan political emotional response from people who are bitter over the 2016 elections. So it's not really about police brutality or racial oppression, it's about hating Donald J. Trump and his supporters. Could it be that the national anthem and flag are symbolic of "nationalism" which is tied to Trump? Is THAT what we are seeing played out here?

Honestly, I don't know how this can resolve itself. I am personally on my second year of boycotting the NFL and at this point, it's no longer even a boycott for me... I'm done with it. I won't be back. They have totally disgusted me with the way this has been handled and I refuse to participate. That goes for any other professional sport or event as well. You want to disrespect the anthem and flag, you've lost me forever.

Most of the time, whenever there is a protest of some kind, I might not agree with the protest but I can understand the dynamics. This whole entire NFL "take a knee" thing is completely baffling to me on several fronts.

First, I am not clear on what exactly is being protested. Some say it's "police brutality" but there is no specific incident or event. Some say it's about racial oppression but how are multi-millionaire NFL players being oppressed? If anything, the NFL is the epitome of the opposite. It seems we are supposed to acknowledge some sort of "injustice" here but it's not really clear what that is.

Then, there is the issue of HOW this phantom problem is being protested. Somehow, disrespecting the national anthem and flag is an appropropriate response to... whatever. I don't understand the tie to racism or oppression that is being implied. The national anthem and flag have never been symbols of racism or oppression, in fact, they are symbols of the diametric opposite.

Some will argue it's a "freedom of speech" issue... NO, it's not! The First Amendment of the Constitution protects your right to speak from STATE action. This is the workplace... you have no "free speech" right. The NFL is not the state or government.

Finally, and probably most importantly... what the hell is the end game here? Generally speaking, a protest has some sort of intended resolve. There is some measure being sought. Some remedy is being pursued. With this ordeal, what exactly is that? What are the protesters hoping to accomplish and how will we know when it has been achieved?

Not only has this not made a lick of sense to me, with the advent of Trump's comments at an Alabama campaign rally, it seems to have thrown gasoline on the protest fires all across the NFL. It's now beginning to look as if this is purely a partisan political emotional response from people who are bitter over the 2016 elections. So it's not really about police brutality or racial oppression, it's about hating Donald J. Trump and his supporters. Could it be that the national anthem and flag are symbolic of "nationalism" which is tied to Trump? Is THAT what we are seeing played out here?

Honestly, I don't know how this can resolve itself. I am personally on my second year of boycotting the NFL and at this point, it's no longer even a boycott for me... I'm done with it. I won't be back. They have totally disgusted me with the way this has been handled and I refuse to participate. That goes for any other professional sport or event as well. You want to disrespect the anthem and flag, you've lost me forever.

Very well said.

It's an act of defiant disrespect to the government, ergo President Trump. Why did they not do this when Obama was president. That's when it all started with Dylan Roof, did it not? It's politics and race - no more, no less. Like the OP, Pupps is done with the NFL.

Most of the time, whenever there is a protest of some kind, I might not agree with the protest but I can understand the dyna... So it's not really about police brutality or racial oppression, it's about hating Donald J. Trump and his supporters. Could it be that the national anthem and flag are symbolic of "nationalism" which is tied to Trump? Is THAT what we are seeing played out here?....

Yes, with some anti-Americanism though in.

they are protesting/supporting criminals
criminals who commit a crime/ MANY crimes--, then escalate the problem ---THEY created---by resisting/attacking/threatening /not complying/etc

Last edited:

There is no end game. We are in "take a knee" hell. :eek:

It would be interesting to do an experiment and play the national anthem in prisons during yard time and see what happens.

To at least one black coach, it's to make white people uncomfortable at the games.
NBA Coach: ‘White People Especially’ Need To Be Made ‘Uncomfortable’
White people are comfortable because we've earned it. I live in a nice house in the country and sleep in a comfortable bed because I've earned it. Don't blame white people because your bedroom is drafty due to the bullet holes in your bedroom window.
What about termites, ticks, fleas, spiders are bad this time of year as are field mice and field rats??....Yeah even in the country..

Forum List

Back