I Daniel Blake

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I, Daniel Blake (2016) - IMDb

I got round to seeing this last night and it is pretty much the best film I have seen in many years.

Daniel Blake is a 60 year old Joiner who has a heart attack. His Doctors tell he him he is not fit for work but the state says he is and refuses to help him..

The film follows him through the process of trying to feed and keep a roof over his head during this nightmare.

Kafka could have written some of the script and I was in tears at the end.

The film caused a furore when it first came out with the government calling it fiction.

It isnt. I took a friend to one of the capability assessments shown in the film. The film is spot on.

It was shown on the BBC last night and the government hacks have been out today rubbishing it again. Oddly enough none of the bastards admitted to actually seeing the movie. they have blood on their hands.

Try and watch it. I am sure that it is available in the States.

I wish Hollywood still made films that were truly ant establishment. Marvel comics are probably more profitable though.

BBC Broadcast of Ken Loach's 'I, Daniel Blake' Sparks Debate in U.K.

A politician who criticized the Palme d'Or-winning film's accuracy in depicting the U.K.'s benefits system came under fire on social media from those working in the sector and even an Emmy-winning satirist.
When I, Daniel Blake premiered in 2016 in Cannes — where it would win the Palme d’Or — director Ken Loach used the opportunity to attack the policies of the British Conservative Party government.

The critically acclaimed drama, which would become Loach’s biggest film to date in the U.K. and was released by IFC Films in the U.S., followed the emotional story of a blue-collar worker who, after suffering a heart attack and being told he is unfit to work, struggles to navigate the bureaucracy of the British benefits systems, which informs him he must seek employment. In interviews at the time, Loach described the “conscious cruelty” with which the current welfare state organizes lives, sparking a political debate that would even be discussed in the Houses of Parliament.

Almost three years on, and I, Daniel Blake’s first TV broadcast in the U.K. has kick-started another conversation.

Forum List

Back