I believe this is an American only, personal, celebration,

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
1635714533781.png

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of "All Hallows' evening"), less commonly known as “Halloween”

As I see it.

Am I wrong?

:)-

View attachment 558733
Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of "All Hallows' evening"), less commonly known as “Halloween”

As I see it.

Am I wrong?

You are correct. Halloween has traditionally been the night where we white Southern folks get to scare the hell out of Negroes, Jews, Papists, Freedom Riders, carpet baggers, revenoors, scaliwags, and children. And Muslims. Did I leave out Muslims?

Although since I am a Christian-sympathizer, I don't really participate in it much because basically, it's rooted in satanic and demonic worship. So don't come to my house and expect any candy, ok?

Now get the hell off my lawn.

Wow. If this doesn't get my reaction points score up above Bluesman61's by tomorrow morning, I don't know what will. Are you not entertained?

Last edited:
Halloween is spreading to other countries.

I think it's the sexy outfits the girls wear that's making it popular.

The kids don't get candy in other countries.

Am I wrong?
Yes. The question you should be asking is whether you have ever been right.

I'm sure it isn't celebrated there in Egypt or Pakistan or whatever other hell hole you live in where people have no fun, but it is celebrated in other countries in the western world besides the United States.

View attachment 558733

As I see it.

Am I wrong?

Yup..yer wrong...it's mostly Celtic European and predates Christianity
Not so harmless in the past though--animal and even human sacrifice during Samhain has been alleged

The festival was not always so lighthearted. For the Celts of ancient Britain, Scotland, Ireland, and northern France, November 1 marked the end of harvest, the return of herds from the pasture, the time of what was known in folk wisdom as “the light that loses, the night that wins,” and the start of the new year. It was also the festival of Samhain, who may or may not, depending on the source, have been the god of the dead but who remains a favorite of modern witches, neo-pagans, and fans of Walt Disney’s 1940 film Fantasia . On October 31, the last night of the old year, spirits of the deceased were thought to roam the land, visiting their loved ones, looking for eternal rest, or raising hell. They particularly liked to wreak havoc on crops. They were also capable of revealing future marriages and windfalls, and illnesses and deaths. It was incumbent upon the living, therefore, to welcome them home with food and drink, to propitiate the grudges they might still be carrying, or to light bonfires and carry lanterns made from hollowed-out turnips carved into frightening faces to keep them away. The bonfires also came in handy for immolating vegetable, animal, and human sacrifices to Samhain. In other words, anything might happen on this hallowed night, or, given the sketchy state of modern scholarship about ancient Druid practices, we can easily imagine anything happening. Most accounts of the Celtic origins of Halloween, including this one, should be taken with a pumpkin seed of skepticism. About all we can be certain of is that some festival marked the onset of the long, cold northern winter when living conditions grew raw, food was scarce, and many died.

By the first century A.D., Rome had conquered Celtic lands, Romans and Celts were living cheek by jowl in small villages, and Pomona, the Roman goddess of orchards and the harvest, whose festival was celebrated on November 1, was cohabiting happily with Samhain. But if the Romans, who associated Pomona with the apple and therefore with love and fertility, lent the macabre Celtic festival sex appeal, the church gave it an air of respectability and a new name. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III, acting on the theory that if you can’t beat paganism, which was still rife throughout Christendom, you’d better join it, moved All Saints’ Day (which had been consecrated the century before when the number of saints outstripped the days of the year), from May 13 to November 1. The night before became Allhallows Eve, or Hallowe’en, and the old Celtic practices became Christian pieties. Instead of appeasing spirits with food and wine, villagers gave “soul cakes” to poor people who promised to pray for departed relatives. Instead of dressing up as animals or spirits to frighten away the dead, parishioners of churches that couldn’t afford genuine relics dressed up as saints. As the church militant marched around the globe, its hybrid Celtic-Roman-Christian celebration chased after it like a faintly disreputable but fun-loving camp follower. It was one of the many church practices that incited Martin Luther to action. Whether Luther chose October 31 to nail his theses to the church door to protest the practice of purchasing indulgences or to take advantage of the crowds that would be out on a festival eve—or whether, in fact, he ever actually nailed anything anywhere (and modern scholarship is beginning to doubt that he did)—tradition has him hammering on Halloween.

1635717740783.png

North American, Central American or South American?
I'm 77 years old and as a Child I celebrated Halloween in the evening carrying a basket from door to door with other kids getting candy.

It is sad to me that this American holiday has been demonized.
As I said, this is an American holiday.
No offense intended or implied

I'm 77 years old and as a Child I celebrated Halloween in the evening carrying a basket from door to door with other kids and some parents getting candy.

Halloween started being demonized when those liberal assholes started putting razor blades in the candy.

True story, mang.

PS: Please be sure to bump up my reaction score by disagreeing, agreeing, or otherwise responding. Thank you for your support.

I'm 77 years old and as a Child I celebrated Halloween in the evening carrying a basket from door to door with other kids getting candy.

correction

You are correct. Halloween has traditionally been the night where we white Southern folks get to scare the hell out of Negroes, Jews, Papists, Freedom Riders, carpet baggers, revenoors, scaliwags, and children. And Muslims. Did I leave out Muslims?

Although since I am a Christian-sympathizer, I don't really participate in it much because basically, it's rooted in satanic and demonic worship. So don't come to my house and expect any candy, ok?

Now get the hell off my lawn.

Wow. If this doesn't get my reaction points score up above Bluesman61's by tomorrow morning, I don't know what will. Are you not entertained?
So yer sayin' that Halloween was just another day..in your South?

1635718023122.png

I'm 77 years old and as a Child I celebrated Halloween in the evening carrying a basket from door to door with other kids and some parents getting candy.

I'm 75 and as a child I'd push other kids down and take their baskets on Halloween---perhaps we're met?

Halloween started being demonized when those liberal assholes started putting razor blades in the candy.

True story, mang.

PS: Please be sure to bump up my reaction score by disagreeing, agreeing, or otherwise responding. Thank you for your support.

I'm not shitting you.

The whole "putting razorblades in the apples?"

Never happened. It's an urban legend.

View attachment 558733

As I see it.

Am I wrong?

Its an old Celtic tradition.

Halloween Around the World - Traditions, Celebrations ...
Oct 26, 2009 · Halloween, one of the world’s oldest holidays, is celebrated in countries around the world. The United States, England and Mexico all celebrate versions of Halloween with unique traditions and ...

The roots of Halloween spring from Celtic tradition: Samhain is a Gaelic festival that is celebrated from Oct. 31 to Nov. 1, heralding the end of the harvest and the beginning of the darker half of the year. ... Kathleen Peddicord has covered the live, retire, and do business overseas beat for more than 30 years and is considered the world's ...

Halloween, one of the world’s oldest holidays, is celebrated in countries around the world. The United States, England and Mexico all celebrate versions of Halloween with unique traditions and ...

I only know one version, the USA version.
I wish you a happy and merry day, this the
31st day of October, 2021AD celebrating Halloween.

Forum List

Back