I am trying to save a friend in Chicago..that's homeless..

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I can do it myself, but my angle is I wanted to see how many people cared .

A very good thing to do, indeed. But why do you want to know if folks on USMB care? Is this a precondition to helping the homeless friend?

"I am trying to save a friend in Chicago... that's homeless."

What are you saying? Are you saying that to be in Chicago is to be homeless? Or are you saying that Chicago itself is homeless?

I put people who need a place up for a while now and then, but not strangers unless a church or a friend sends them around. We have a couple of large campers and an apartment in the barn for visitors and family. Don't live anywhere near Chicago, though. A gofundme page sounds like a plan, though I don't have any idea what those cost.

every homeless person has a different story, and a different path out of homelessness. In a rational world, there would be a hierarchy of support...

Immediate family,

Close friends,

Church,

Informal community (private meal kitchens, shelters, etc.)

Government.

In that order.

The amount and type of help your friend needs would depend on what led the homelessness. It could be as simple as finding a decent job or as difficult as helping someone that has drug/alcohol problems.

every homeless person has a different story, and a different path out of homelessness. In a rational world, there would be a hierarchy of support...

Immediate family,

Close friends,

Church,

Informal community (private meal kitchens, shelters, etc.)

Government.

In that order.

Wages haven't even remotely kept up with inflation; in Silly Con Valley or NYC, you will find lots of employed people living out of their cars, even making $16 an hour or so. It got so embarrassing for the tech companies to have their parking lots looking like camp grounds they had to start banning their employees from sleeping on the lots. Cities hate those tent cities that spring up in so-called' boom towns', as they're bad for PR lies.

As for churches, they're already maxed out now, and fund raising is falling; most of the people who donate to charities are close to poor themselves, and they're less and less able to keep up the donation levels. Rich people give to 'charities' like ballets or art museums, they're more glamorous and newsworthy.

Last edited:
I am out of work for 2 months so far, 2 more months to go, because of a fractured foot. No savings. Luckily my 24 year old nephew who can't hold down a job is holding down a job and paying my share of the bills. I created a GoFundMe account. Long ago I deleted everyone off of my Facebook friend list that was a gamer and not an actual friend so I went from 5,000 friends to 145 friends. I asked for $10,000 to pay the bills. provided pictures of my operation and stuff so everyone knew I wasn't bullshitting them and i only got $200. I need a better class of friend.

it is my experience that those with money are selfish and self centered and won't help anyone else for any reason. Lots of broke people telling me they're praying for me and would give me money if they had it. Only the ones without money say that.

Forum List

Back