Hurricane-Torn Puerto Rico Says It Can’t Pay Any of Its Debts for 5 Years

I just got back from a short trip there. Things are pretty bad. Things are exacerbated by so many thousands of people leaving for the mainland. Less people in PR means less tax revenue to pay their debts.
I would imagine fulfilling jobs as well.
I know some people that have been there trying to do what they can, and someone else whose family has moved to the mainland, because it wasn’t conducive to really living in their own area. Yeah, they concur it is an absolute mess.

I just got back from a short trip there. Things are pretty bad. Things are exacerbated by so many thousands of people leaving for the mainland. Less people in PR means less tax revenue to pay their debts.
I imagine their tourist industry must have been affected, too, wasn't it? Could a tourist go and have a comfortable stay in the areas that were popular pre-hurricane?

I imagine their tourist industry must have been affected, too, wasn't it? Could a tourist go and have a comfortable stay in the areas that were popular pre-hurricane?
I’d stick to San Juan and surrounding areas. You can go and stay for super cheap at the moment. I never once felt like it was dangerous. The police are out in force and there’s a sense among the people that they’re all in it together.

Why did you go there?

All this trouble pre-dates the hurricane. PR is a huge welfare state with a non-white population. The hurricane is an excuse to demand money for their self-inflicted problems.

Forum List

Back