Hunting by remote control draws fire from all quarters

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
HOUSTON Sliding his computer mouse around until he locates a moving target, the hunter sets the animal in his sites and pulls the rifle's trigger with a click of his finger. Down goes a wild boar. Another trophy bagged.

Yet in this case it's not a video game. It's a new kind of hunting experience in which people anywhere in the world can sit at home and target real game by controlling a gun in a remote location.

To supporters, it's a way to allow the disabled, among others, to enjoy the thrill of hunting. But critics see it as a form of video slaughter.

Indeed, the concept of live-action hunting - done over the Internet - is raising the hackles of everyone from animal-rights activists to hunting groups to gun advocates. As a result, lawmakers in 14 states are now trying to ban the practice, including Texas, where the only such online hunting facility exists.

The first paid hunt is scheduled to occur on April 9 on a ranch outside San Antonio, and many are racing to stop the practice before it gets started. The dispute is raising new ethical questions over what is an appropriate form of hunting, and represents another example of the unlimited possibilities of the Internet and the sometimes public pressure to limit it.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/CSM/story?id=640933

setup.jpg

-Cp said:
To supporters, it's a way to allow the disabled, among others, to enjoy the thrill of hunting. But critics see it as a form of video slaughter.

Let there be no doubt about my bias, I do not like the concept of killing animals for pleasure/sport although I've never believed it should be banned. Now that that is out of the way:

If you like being outdoors and you get a sense of satisfaction in sneaking up on animals and on making a difficult shot, I can understand why the act of hunting is appealing. To sit in your living room and point a pixelated cross hair at a pixelated animal and then click your mouse until that animal dies in a video game is fine too, nothing gets hurt. To do the exact same thing except in the end something actually does die just seems very bloodthirsty to me. If you are playing a video game on the computer (which you are), how has the knowledge that an actual animal has died because of your mouse click created extra satisfaction for you?

it defeats the purpose of hunting. You hunt to be outside for the sport and the thrill of the kill. This basically makes it a video game with real results. Sure the disabled can do it, but how long before fat lazy a-holes decide to do some hunting from the comfort of their couch while nascars on the tube?

Bad idea. Disabled people with a gun in general is a bad idea.

I think this would really open up new hunters who don't want to mess around outside and get all wet.. :p

Additionally, how cool would this be accross our borders? lol..

Forum List

Back