How would the world respond...

liberalogic said:
The Arabs who were living in Palestine under Ottoman rule became infuriated when the Zionists began to emigrate to the area around 1882 in order to escape persecution in Eastern Europe and Russia. When the Balfour Declaration was issued during WWI, the Arabs saw that as a threat to their right of self-determination. The British, before the Balfour, had led them on to believe that Palestine would become part of a larger, independent Arab country, but the pressure on the British increased because of the growing number of Jews who continued to enter Palestine and who desired an independent Jewish state. After the Holocaust, everyone saw the atrocities committed towards the Jews and began to support an independent Jewish state on that land. But the Arabs still made up over 70% of the population. After Britain couldn't resolve it, they left and turned it over to the UN who divided the land.
And so the UN did. The Arabs, aka Palis refused their part. Israel has offered that plus more, in spite of kicking their asses how many times? Now one should assume that Hamas elections bode a different outcome, than "destroy Israel"?

liberalogic said:
The Arabs who were living in Palestine under Ottoman rule became infuriated when the Zionists began to emigrate to the area around 1882 in order to escape persecution in Eastern Europe and Russia. When the Balfour Declaration was issued during WWI, the Arabs saw that as a threat to their right of self-determination. The British, before the Balfour, had led them on to believe that Palestine would become part of a larger, independent Arab country, but the pressure on the British increased because of the growing number of Jews who continued to enter Palestine and who desired an independent Jewish state. After the Holocaust, everyone saw the atrocities committed towards the Jews and began to support an independent Jewish state on that land. But the Arabs still made up over 70% of the population. After Britain couldn't resolve it, they left and turned it over to the UN who divided the land.

see: www.mideastweb.org/briefhistory.htm

A comprehensive view with facts on the Roman to Ottoman Empire rule of Palestine including the fact that the Jews never left the area...hence are entitled to re-claim their Jewish State! Jews from Spain and the Mediterranean lands settled in Jerusalem starting in the late 1300's...The "Ottomon Empire" took control of the area in 1517...when Palestine became part of the "Ottomon Empire"

liberalogic said:
I'd just like to reverse the question for a second:

What do you think Israel would do if Iran nuked us?

I would be a bit hesitant to say that they would nuke Iran. Over the last few years there have been so many suicide attacks from the Palestinians and Israel has retaliated very little. While I think the Palestinians have a right to some of that land, their methods of attack have been inhumane...why hasn't Israel just nuked them already? So who is to say that they would nuke Iran for our sake?

Is your question hypothetical or rhetorical or an honest question? Either one works, I guess

For one, I doubt Iran would be able to have the technology for delivery systems, nor the technology to penetrate our defense systems; and if they did, we would be at someone's front door step with our game face on (the name Vladmir comes to mind...)

As a surviving Cold War superpower, we have stockpiles and stockpiles of nuclear weapons, enough to make Iran just a memory, literally, that a a large radioactive hole in the ground that would no doubt be visible from space. Israel throwing their arsenal in with ours would a) lessen their retaliatory stock for future potential conflicts, and b) not really do much additional damage. Basically, we can hold our own. Israel, however, may not be able to (I think they could, at least enough to subdue any threats from Iran, though it will not be easy), so then it is up to us and Uncle Sam's bluewater navy parked in the Persian Gulf to level the playing field, and Tehran while we're at it. I believe we'd be happy to do it, too. At least I would.

On a more hypothetical scale (that's becoming one of my favorite words, can you tell?) I think if Israel had the resources to prevent any attacks and still help Uncle Sam out in picking a fight with Mohammed. Bear in mind though, with military forces deployed, Israel would have less of a garrison, and Hamas would no doubt consider attacking, and probably follow through.

USViking said:
Israel is probably 30-40 years ahead of Iran,
and has its own nuclear deterrnet.

Irrelevant. Iran is not controlled by a government with a healthy respect for retaliation. It is controlled by fundamental Islamists who believe so long as they take a shot at the "enemies" of their version of Allah, their act of "martyrdom" will be rewarded.

liberalogic said:

Quite a spin on history. Your selection of 1882 as some date of importance is rather arbitrary since both Israel and Palestine occupied the territory at different times centuries before the 1800s.

The support for a Jewish state was not quite the noble endeavor you wish to make it. No one wanted the Jews as an entity in their countries. Solution: give them a small chunk of land won by conquest. Hardly a precedent-setting move. The borders of most Nations in existence are defined by the same means.

Forum List

Back